120V receptacle Ground UP or DOWN ?? seem not very clear !

Very apt !
Compared to the UK system, the Aussie plugs are pathetic with flimsy thin pins and no fuse facility.
Very few appliances seem to use an earth pin at all these days....certainly nothing on my kitchen worktop or shop workbench ! :shock:

They_re_WatchingrkzDetail.png

Hillhater said:
Very apt !
Compared to the UK system, the Aussie plugs are pathetic with flimsy thin pins and no fuse facility.
Very few appliances seem to use an earth pin at all these days....certainly nothing on my kitchen worktop or shop workbench ! :shock:
If an appliance or power tool is "Double insulated" it does not require a grounding pin.

Double-Insulated (DI) – A form of electrical protection featuring two separate insulation systems to help protect against electrical shock from internal malfunctions. DI tools have no provision for grounding (no third grounding prong), and are equipped with a polarized two-prong plug (See “Polarized Plug”). Double-insulated tools will be marked with a “double square”, or the words “Double-Insulated” on the tool’s rating plate.

Alan B said:
Grounds up on receptacles are required in hospitals. Not sure how widespread this requirement is.
Are you talking about in California? Certainly not the case everywhere. I design anesthesia and life support equipment for a living, and I can tell you that it's not a requirement. I've been in plenty of hospitals where the ground pin is down.

dmwahl said:
Alan B said:
Grounds up on receptacles are required in hospitals. Not sure how widespread this requirement is.
Are you talking about in California? Certainly not the case everywhere. I design anesthesia and life support equipment for a living, and I can tell you that it's not a requirement. I've been in plenty of hospitals where the ground pin is down.
At the one where I work, some are up and some are down. I guess you could say we are Bi-Polar. :lol:

Here is Marty's kitchen. Bottom plug goes to the refrigerator. Top plug goes to the microwave. My vote is ground down. Reason is so to looks like a little face. Ground is the mouth. 2 prongs are the eyes.

Note the vertical position of the plate screw slot. This is so it don't collect dust.

All I know on this subject is the electrical code for Canada states you can have it sideways. Its unusual, more of a architectural design.
But I think I remember the teacher saying you can have it anyway you like, even upside down, because there is a rule stating you can have a outlet on the ceiling, with support.

I just had a chance to talk to the city electrical inspector and a local electrical contractor while they were getting my 70 year old main beaker box recertified and up to code.

According to both of them. Ground down is for 15 amp and lower circuits. ground up signifies you have a 20 amp or higher breaker on the line. But they also said you really can do it any way you want, there is no code for it, just a convention.

Its somewhere in the code. I got last years book, theres a newer one out now.
I've seen them in houses, but for code.....got no clue.

Hillhater said:
Punx0r said:
Always interesting to see how standards for common things vary around the world.
s.
yes, if my memory serve me well,..UK plugs/sockets are earth upwards.
Oddly, considering how much of our history and technology is copied from the UK, but Aussie plugs are all earth pin downwards ? :?:

Funny then that China has the same socket as Oz except earth pin up:

wallplug.jpg

voicecoils said:
yes, if my memory serve me well,..UK plugs/sockets are earth upwards.
Oddly, considering how much of our history and technology is copied from the UK, but Aussie plugs are all earth pin downwards ? :?:

Oh, they're rightside up too, just that y'all are all standing upside down. :p

Drunkskunk said:
According to both of them. Ground down is for 15 amp and lower circuits. ground up signifies you have a 20 amp or higher breaker on the line. But they also said you really can do it any way you want, there is no code for it, just a convention.

I guess it depends on what area you're in, cuz around here down means unswitched outlet, and up means the closest (usually) wall switch controls that outlet (or pair). Doesn't matter what current rating the breakers are (though usually they're 15A).

marty said:
Here is Marty's kitchen. Bottom plug goes to the refrigerator. Top plug goes to the microwave. My vote is ground down. Reason is so to looks like a little face. Ground is the mouth. 2 prongs are the eyes.
receptacle.jpg
Note the vertical position of the plate screw slot. This is so it don't collect dust.
Sad that old pictures disappeared. Back up your stuff people.
receptacle.jpg

ZeroEm said:
Bet your eBike one of the grounds was cut off.
No [top beige] extension cord has ground at the top, as in it's upside down. Note that it's thinner on bottom, as shown in picture.

Yes ground is also cut off. That's what happens when you live in a old house like I do. I want a new house with working grounds.

Its whatever the architect/designer wants, you can even have the grounds sideways.
I don't think there is a building/electrical code for which way the ground faces.
I remember hearing something about it, but never looked into it. I do have a elec code book from 2010'ish stashed away somewhere.

Back