Hyperion EOS 1420i NET3 14s Balance Charger...

Ok so the cracked IRFB4110 and the IRF4905 were as expected internally shorted between all 3 pins. Also found two fried resistors R39 & R54 - see pic. They looks be 10ohm so probably the gate drive resistors? One is open and one is short circuited.

The shopping list is growing. So do I try the cheap eBay FETs for $1&2 ea or the genuine IR ones for $4&8??

maca55 said:
I have three 1420s. The first has blown what looks like multiple FETs and no longer works. The second still works only when the output voltage exceeds the input voltage eg) 4S or more when using a 12v supply, or 8s or more when using a 24v supply. The third one is still working fine apart from it no longer being detected by the eos data suite.

http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/hyperion-1420-bluetooth-conversion.htm

Here is a link to a blog detailing how to convert a 1420i to Bluetooth. I ordered the parts today. After around 18 months fairly light use my unit has begun not to be recognised by the EOS data suite also, possibly due to ground loops... The computer itself is seeing the unit, only the software isn't recognising it.

My Hyperion is toast, actually many months ago this happened so my memory is a little fuzzy,

I was going to try to save a 4S2P A123 motorcycle battery I made that I had over-discharged, and i'm pretty sure it was when I plugged in the server PSU to the hyperion, it went up in smoke... Its still powers on, but will instantly throw up an error, something along the lines of "warning, high temperature limit exceeded" and just keep flashing that message up there. I took it apart and can't see anything obviously fried, but I definitely smelled smoke when this happened.

Any idea's? I need this charger working so I can do some testing/logging on the 22S AMP20 batteries before I build them into a pack.

Hi guys,
I made a new topic with the post below. On 2 of my chargers, the inputs seem to have shorted but I cannot find anything that is burnt??

Hi guys,
I have been charging lipos for 8 years now. Except 3 years ago I started charging 12S 15ah packs from a Thunder 1220 charger. This was a 300W 14S capable charger. I liked I could charge my 12S pack without any modifications.
The input shorted??? I tried turning it on one day and my power supply would not turn on (ATX 12V PSU). I tried with a 12V battery and the 30amp input fuse on the input side of the board blew. I replaced it and tried the charger again.
After about 5 seconds of the charger being ON with no load, the fuse blew again.

Just over a year ago I got a Hyperion 1420i which is 550W and also 14S capable. I was powering that one with 2 atx psu in series and I cut the gnd wire to one of them.
A week ago it did the same thing. Except this one has a 40amp input fuse that did not pop but my psu would not turn on. And connecting to a 18V battery (to turn the charger ON with no charging load) I almost melted the bullet connector.
This charger is capable of 28V input.

I just ordered a Thunder Power 1430C and I hope this is the last one I need to buy?!?

Could this be due to my psus?
Could it just be that those chargers don't like charging 12S?
They do get quite hot for over 1 hour when I charge.
Could they be repaired?

Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

• test.jpg
    test.jpg
    484 KB · Views: 3,876
Hi!

Very useful information in this thread.
I never heard of problem with this charger before. Maybe because I haven't had any problem myself.
I have two units bought back in 2011 that just works, I charge everything from indoor 2s250mAh to 14s5000 packs at maximum power.

But as I found out that they were discontinued, I started to scan all webshops to be able to get one as backup in case of failure.
I found at last unit in a shop in Germany.
I started to use that charger for an electric scooter, having a 7s8700mAh LiPo (my own conversion, was 24V 10Ah lead)
After just a few days of use, less than 10 charge cycles, the charger just popped and emitted white smoke when starting a charge cycle.

I use a Wellpower 27V/37A supply for my two old and still working chargers.

For my new and fried one :cry: I used a 13,8V/20A supply.
I charged the 7s with 6A, meaning a 176 W output at max.
Don't know what efficiency the charger have at 13,8 V in and 29 V out but maybe I've been on the limit for the power supply and
had voltage drop leading to relatively high currents in the boost conversion circuitry?

Anyone that know if stressing the unit with low input voltage make it more prone to failure?

I have a 1420i that behaves strangely.
It charges a 13s pack (without balancer connected) just fine, but it doesn't recognize a 10s that I have.

Does anybody have a circuit diagram that I could use to check what's wrong?

The low side of the balance ports is on the right side. That would be cell 1 or 0 if you you prefer to start from 0.

my thermister fried yesterday charging a 12s 30000mAh at 20A.... ordered replacement, hope it works. Fan on it died a while back so have been using an external fan but somehow it got super hot.... any ideas why, or just cheap chinese parts?

yeah i ordered a 4 pack for $10 on eBay... would have got them from you if i'd known :)

try to replace the fan so you have maximum air flow over the ICL. the fan exhausts air from inside the case, and draws it into the case directly over the ICL to keep it cool.

when you install the new one, make sure it is standing on top of the legs and not on the surface like a resistor and push it out into open space there so it is not touching anything else so when it gets hot it doesn't damage anything.

hot is what they do for a living. i think this is the most common or systemic failure of all these SMPS chargers. the ICLs sold and used in these is made in china, and the quality control for a difficult to make device is low in these plants imo.

the fan itself works but wasn't getting power. I used a much larger fan from a server that was (I'm pretty dam sure) keeping it cooler than the stock fan. I ran it for a couple of months until this... we'll see when my parts arrive....

no power to the fan could be a bad transistor on the fan control power source. usually the fan has a 100 ohm resistor in line with the collector of the npn transistor that is turned on by the op amp that drives it. or the thermistor input on the other side of the input of the op amp could be missing.

I found out why my 1420i was displaying "OUTPUT VOLTAGE TOO HIGH" and would not charge 2S lipos or NiMH batteries. I remember one day, I had my charger plugged into its power supply which was plugged into the same wall outlet as a small drill press next to the charger. I remember the main power leads of the charger touching the metal table of the drill press and made a spark. I didn't think much of it at the time except for putting the charger in a different spot but that is when the error message started. When the charger shorted on the metal table, it blew a MOSFET. From then the charger would display the error message anytime I wanted to charge a battery that had less voltage than the power supply (12V). I found which MOSFET shorted and changed it to a new IRF4905 and now the charger will charge anything I throw at it. Problem resolved.

Hello

I took a few pictures of my charger, because I really miss it and want to repair it if possible.
My bike with LiPo needs to be balanced since I discharge the pack at its limits.

Do anyone know how to start diagnose from the pictures?

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

Attachments

• IMG_0187_1366x1024.jpg
    IMG_0187_1366x1024.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 1,609
  • IMG_0190_1366x1024.jpg
    IMG_0190_1366x1024.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 1,609
  • IMG_0195_1366x1024.jpg
    IMG_0195_1366x1024.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 1,609
After ~3 years of irregular use ( maybe 400 charges overall ), one day i wake up after a 3 week bike riding lull and get 'output battery connect error' :(

The 1420i properly detects the battery voltage before i hold the button down to start the bulk charge..
I have checked my connectors.. no problems with them that i can see :/

I suppose it's dead. But i'm really disappointed because i never abused this charger at all, ever.

ratking asked me about his charger. first we need to know how and when it failed, can you measure voltages coming into the charger from the power supply? is the fuse open circuit? do you know how to test the mosfets to see if they are functional?

dnmun said:
ratking asked me about his charger. first we need to know how and when it failed, can you measure voltages coming into the charger from the power supply? is the fuse open circuit? do you know how to test the mosfets to see if they are functional?

The fuse is intact, I have not seen any burnt or damaged components, and that is as far as I have come in the troubleshooting process. I don't have the charger where I am right now, but I will tomorrow. I have not checked mosfets before, but I can read a bit and learn how to do it. Do you know what the different fets do? Could you point me in the right direction on one of the pictures I posted?

Thank you

have you ever repaired anything before? do you know what a transistor is? your pictures are not useful, just too big for the page. you should always use VGA settings for pictures here. most of them at 4110 n-channel mosfets and the 4905 is a p-channel mosfet.

I have looked over the board with a fine tooth comb.
No components look off at all.

Just dead on the inside, like a goth kid..

Back