Samsung 30Q INR18650-30Q 3000mah 15a cell

TotalConfusion said:
I got this quote yesterday for 130 Cells

Hi Wayne,
Thank you for you inquiry!
SIBEILE TECHNOLOGY
TEL: 86 755 84737145
WEB: http://www.sblbattery.com

Edit : direct link to battery .... http://www.sblbattery.com/product/60269621619-800733140/12v_18650_battery_pack_SIBEILE_SAMSUNG_30Q_3000mAh_15A_3_7V_Rechargeable_Battery_Cell_12v_18650_battery_pack.html
I browse all over the place and never get such warnings but clicking on that URL pops up a nasty warning by Kaspersky Pure 3.0 that there trying to steal my data and rob me blind for some reason.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2015-06-07 20.12.58.png
    Screenshot 2015-06-07 20.12.58.png
    7.2 KB · Views: 4,935
okashira said:
Updated

Average columbic efficiency 99.959%

Very interesting information. Is the CE-test rig self built or do you use finished equipment?

Are there any results of the Model S cells out?

Again, very cool :D

Teh Stork said:
okashira said:
Updated

Average columbic efficiency 99.959%

Very interesting information. Is the CE-test rig self built or do you use finished equipment?

Are there any results of the Model S cells out?

Again, very cool :D
I am just dividing discharge A-h by charge A-h on each cycle.

Your equipment must be accurate to 0,1% on current and voltage measuerements for these data to be good - is it?

Teh Stork said:
Your equipment must be accurate to 0,1% on current and voltage measuerements for these data to be good - is it?

It's close, depending on the current. It's around 0.1% at ~2A and above. Voltage accuracy is around 0.1%. is around that.
But it doesn't need to be accurate. It just needs to be repeatable, which is much easier to achieve.
That and you can take an average of many samples to increase accuracy, which is what I am doing.

I did calibrate it with equipment good to 0.03% and 0.01%. But the ADC's and DAC's of the tester limit it's accuracy.

What about these batteries ? : http://www.keeppower.com.cn/products_detail.php?id=520

KP IMR 26650 battery 5200mAh max 30A discharge 3.7v lithium battery UH2652
* Quality High Drain Li-ion Rechargeable Battery
* Brand: KeepPower
* Size: 26650
* Part No.: UH2652
* Nominal Voltage: 3.7V
* Nominal Capacity: 5200mAh
Details
Product Description
1. High Drain IMR26650 Li-ion Rechargeable Battery UH2652
2. Typical Capacity: 5200mAh
3. Normal Voltage: 3.7V
4. Charge Method: constant voltage with limited current
5. Standard Charge Current: 2000mA
6. Fast Charge Current: 4000mA
7. Max. Plus Discharge Current: 30.0A
8. Max. Constant Discharge Current: 15.0A
9. 4.2 volts full charged voltage and 2.5 volts discharge cut off voltage
10. High charge and discharge currents reduce cycle life.

>
>

magudaman said:
I had been looking over my battery choices a couple months ago and recently wrapped up my electrified GoPed project and want get a new battery for it. So I started looking at batteries again.

Ok so the battery I’m not seeing much information on here is the Samsung INR18650-30Q. This is a 3000mah battery that can do 20a intermittent and 15a continuous, all for $3.18 a cell! Just like the 20R they only quote 250 cycles at that load but I hope I will get better using a lower rates. I also attached the data sheet.

So should I pull the trigger on 200 cells, I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a new giant battery scam going on that my searches were not catching? My current project is only for 56 cells but will be assembling a new bike after selling my electric motoped that should fund a project for the remaining 140 or so cells.

ScooterMan101 said:
What about these batteries ? : http://www.keeppower.com.cn/products_detail.php?id=520

KP IMR 26650 battery 5200mAh max 30A discharge 3.7v lithium battery UH2652
* Quality High Drain Li-ion Rechargeable Battery
* Brand: KeepPower
* Size: 26650
* Part No.: UH2652
* Nominal Voltage: 3.7V
* Nominal Capacity: 5200mAh
Details
Product Description
1. High Drain IMR26650 Li-ion Rechargeable Battery UH2652
2. Typical Capacity: 5200mAh
3. Normal Voltage: 3.7V
4. Charge Method: constant voltage with limited current
5. Standard Charge Current: 2000mA
6. Fast Charge Current: 4000mA
7. Max. Plus Discharge Current: 30.0A
8. Max. Constant Discharge Current: 15.0A
9. 4.2 volts full charged voltage and 2.5 volts discharge cut off voltage
10. High charge and discharge currents reduce cycle life.

>
>

magudaman said:
I had been looking over my battery choices a couple months ago and recently wrapped up my electrified GoPed project and want get a new battery for it. So I started looking at batteries again.

Ok so the battery I’m not seeing much information on here is the Samsung INR18650-30Q. This is a 3000mah battery that can do 20a intermittent and 15a continuous, all for $3.18 a cell! Just like the 20R they only quote 250 cycles at that load but I hope I will get better using a lower rates. I also attached the data sheet.

So should I pull the trigger on 200 cells, I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a new giant battery scam going on that my searches were not catching? My current project is only for 56 cells but will be assembling a new bike after selling my electric motoped that should fund a project for the remaining 140 or so cells.

Those are likely garbage... at least when compared to a real EV quality cell like a Samsung, LG or Panasonic NCA cell. Pretty sure keeppower does not even manufacture cells.

I did start a cycle test on a Model S cell. I was going to do 4A discharge, but decided to run the same regimen as the 30Q for fun. A bit unfair to the Model S cell, as it will heat up much more then the 30Q obviously. 7A is pretty fast. Posting data soon...

The 30Q is losing a bit of capacity ...

The model S cell is holding its own for a 2 year old used cell. It basically puts out exactly the same Wh as the 30Q at 7A. But I don't think it's getting as much of a charge as the 30Q so it could be SLIGHTLY better.
I randomly selected the Model S cell, no cherries... :)

Average efficiency Model S cell 87% - this would be better with a slower charge, I am doing a light supercharge... ~3% - ~96% charge in 1:57 hr. (yes 2 hr is a fast charge for a high capacity li-ion)
Average efficiency 30Q 91%

Both show 100% columbic efficiency, so I'm not going to bother reporting that anymore. Just did that to prove that there is no Peukert effect and no "loss of electrons," like lead acid (Someone needs to fix Wikipedia...)

Change the chart to show 66% of initial capacity at the bottom of the graph, so the trend can be seen more easily. I think 66% or 2/3 capacity is a good failure point.

You can see the Model S cell is very sensitive to temperature... more then the 30Q. Better efficiency and better Ah and Wh output when it's warmer (during the day)

file.php

Attachments

• 30q&ModelS - okashira.png
    30q&ModelS - okashira.png
    46.3 KB · Views: 1,726
file.php

As expected, the Model S cell is taking a beating, at least in the beginning... 7A on a full discharge heats it up quite a bit.
The 30q continues the slow decline...

Attachments

47.1 KB · Views: 1,768
Why are there "stair steps" why sudden drops in capacity? Is there a wait time after 8 cycles? Or is that the temp effects u were talking about?

temperature ... the magnitude surprised me too.
it affects the 30q too ,but the model s cell is affected like 150% more.
model s cell is clearly designed for higher temp. makes sense given the car can heat the cells.

So the 7A discharge on the Model S cell 93% DOD is beating it down...

file.php

So I setup a new one with a 4.12V 200ma cut charge and 4A discharge until 2.8V. (fast 1.5 hr charge)

I also changed the 7A Model S cell reginim a little bit. Now, I stop the 7A at 3.0V, and reduce current to 2A until 2.8V. This should keep it from getting as hot and I want to see if it helps.

The new model s one is the green and yellow. This one I did not break in first. So, it's not surprising its picking up capacity on the first few.

Here is what the fast charge on the Model S cell that I am using looks like:

file.php

Attachments

• 4a cycle test regimin.png
    4a cycle test regimin.png
    23.9 KB · Views: 1,426
    48.4 KB · Views: 1,764
Ok, so it turns out that there is a little more to supercharging then originally thought.
The Model S cell was still taking a beating on the 7A run after adding in a drop to 2A at 3.0V.

So I set another one up and used a new slower charge routine to ensure it wasn't being charged to fast:

charge 0.3A for 1 minute
charge 1.8A until 3.77V with 0.8A cut
charge 0.8A until 4.15V with 0.12A cut
wait
Discharge 7A until 3.0V
Discharge 2A until 2.8V
wait
cycle

The Model S cell is doing MUCH better this time ... so.... I was charging it too fast (or the low current precharge helps)
It is certaintly the fast charge regimin that I was using in the prior post that was killing it, NOT the discharge rate.

I also reduced the charge rate of the 30Q at cycle 114, didn't seen to have much effect.

file.php

Attachments

• Model S.png
    Model S.png
    49.5 KB · Views: 1,761
Extremely interesting data! Thnx allot for doing these tests!

Just goes to show how much the charge&discharge routine can change the life cycle of cells, would be very cool to continue these tests for more cells to get a indication of a optimal charge routine for these cells.

I have seen calculations that Tesla charges these cells around 4A max around the 50% charged point and lower after and before that. As far as we can see here they are destroying there cells with that. Or would ramping up the current during the charge really make such a difference?

Both cells seem to have some massive drops from time to time, maybe error in the data or some type of massive voltage drops during discharge that makes your machines think they are empty?

a bit of topic question but would a high drain cell have better round trip efficiency then a high cap cell because of the lower internal resistance?
I ask because at my school we are doing a solar race boat challenge and we are mainly focusing on wh/kg but maybe the increased cycle efficiency is more important as we can only use power generated by the solar cells. Therefore should lose less energy in total and make up for the increased weight that way.

Malloot said:
a bit of topic question but would a high drain cell have better round trip efficiency then a high cap cell because of the lower internal resistance?

Only if you use them with same current levels. But you should use lower C rate cells with lower currents, in that case you are not loosing much energy. So, pick your batteries properly according to your needs, and you will gain in energy density (lower C rate cells = larger energy density).

Malloot said:
Extremely interesting data! Thnx allot for doing these tests!

Just goes to show how much the charge&discharge routine can change the life cycle of cells, would be very cool to continue these tests for more cells to get a indication of a optimal charge routine for these cells.

I have seen calculations that Tesla charges these cells around 4A max around the 50% charged point and lower after and before that. As far as we can see here they are destroying there cells with that. Or would ramping up the current during the charge really make such a difference?

Both cells seem to have some massive drops from time to time, maybe error in the data or some type of massive voltage drops during discharge that makes your machines think they are empty?

I ask because at my school we are doing a solar race boat challenge and we are mainly focusing on wh/kg but maybe the increased cycle efficiency is more important as we can only use power generated by the solar cells. Therefore should lose less energy in total and make up for the increased weight that way.

Optimal charge would be anything below the charge rate that may damage the cells. :-D
Slower is always safer.

The massive drops are just glitches with the tester. Sometimes it stops a discharge early, or stops a charge early. Power outages, messing with settings, etc. I will delete those so no one is confused.

Yes in the same conditions, the power dense cells will offer more efficiency. But you need to look at total system efficiency. If using power dense cells causes you to have less Wh, or to add weight, you will likely negate that benefit.

Tesla uses about 4.4A max at 3% SOC, down to 4A and tapers quickly after 35% SOC. At 50% SOC maybe 2.5A or so.

Btw, I finally dead shorted out two Model S cells last night. Took video.

file.php

Updated.. yes the Model S is doing pretty damn good with the slower charge. Good considering the relativity heavy 7A discharge.
Yes I am still lowing the current to 2A at 3V, but it's at 7A for most of the run. Typically about 2.4Ah at 7A then 0.4Ah at 2A.
Ill also point out it's about ~92% DOD for the Model S cell and ~94% DOD for the 30Q.
ill try to get the model s video up tomorrow, hint, there is a burst disc under the positive terminal that pops, spews out hot electrolyte, but no explosion or fire of any kind.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    50.4 KB · Views: 1,765
okashira said:
file.php

Updated.. yes the Model S is doing pretty damn good with the slower charge. Good considering the relativity heavy 7A discharge.
Yes I am still lowing the current to 2A at 3V, but it's at 7A for most of the run. Typically about 2.4Ah at 7A then 0.4Ah at 2A.
Ill also point out it's about ~92% DOD for the Model S cell and ~94% DOD for the 30Q.
ill try to get the model s video up tomorrow, hint, there is a burst disc under the positive terminal that pops, spews out hot electrolyte, but no explosion or fire of any kind.

You are doing holy work here, okashira!

Where did you get your cell tester from, if you don't mind me asking. Do they also make full pack testers, something variable voltage like 24-48V or even 72V?

Back