Puch Maxi Full-Electric Conversion (Wuderbike)

puchwudi

10 mW
Hello guys!

This is my first post in the ES community :oops: I really love this platform!
About two months ago, I was thinking about a new project for myself. Soo I got the idea to convert an old Puch Maxi to an elctric offroad bike. My goal is to imporve my knowledge about electromobility and to show off what i learned in the last years..

Main Electronik components:

- Cromotor V2 (QS Motor)
- Lyen 18FET controller (eb318)
- Headway 24S1P (38120)
- 2x 24S 40A BMS (leadyo battery)
- TCM-400 24S Carger (4A cont.)

My father brought my a rusty and dirty frame, as a present from his chief to me. This was motivation enough for me to create a nice bike 😉

DSCF2817_Copy_zps52xo2x8k.jpg

DSC04429%20-%20Copy_zpsadq1t0lh.jpg

Micro Update March 2023
DSC06562_2.jpg

DSC06564_1.jpg

I threw away all the redundant parts and cleaned up the frame. the first things I was thinking about ... Where can I place the battery? Well the bike has a gas tank on the front side of the frame, which is integrated in the whole mechanical construction. removing or opening this would decrease the mechanical strength of the frame...So I am place the battery pack between the steering head bearing and the socket for the seat.

frame_zpskzzpzcm5.jpg

The next steps was to plan the design of my Headway pack. I use the single cells in a row, as you can see. The plastic holder are build by a 3D-Printer.

Akkuzellen%20-%20Copy_zpsjowod4ru.jpg

6er%20Reihe_zpslem42sxw.jpg

2015-04-20_14h40_52_zpsla5csyl0.jpg

In the meantime I got to know a nice guy, which supports me with all the mechanical / welding work, so we cleaned the frame to a delight version :p

Rahmen_hinten%20-%20Copy_zpsrvzpdwmr.jpg

Rahmen_vorne%20-%20Copy_zpsoqvviwsq.jpg

Rahmen_voll_zpszlhl3w2w.jpg

So the frame got a second axle for the bike crank. The front suspension is a Marzocchi
888 VF2 with the 20mm axle. A good friend of mine mounted the tires on the rims and fitted the cromotor. My spokes are 4mm thick, so at the back I use a 17" rim (1.80") and at the front a 17"(1.20") with Sawa Sport tyres ;)

Bereifung%20-%20Copy_zpsu2ntiodv.jpg

Well after getting the frame and tyres ready, we started with the lever out of wood for checking the poition of the seat and so on...

Roller%20-%20Copy_zps5mfa8mfz.jpg

The lever consists of a very robust aluminium profile which is welded with very strong drop outs for the Cromonster.

DSC02675%20-%20Copy_zps73v1lu9c.jpg

DSC02670%20-%20Copy_zpsu2yumd9b.jpg

DSC02677%20-%20Copy_zpsyeqxxhan.jpg

I hardly found the perfect fork for our frame, so we used a scooter fork with an extra gas bottle where you can choose the strength of the bumper.

DSC02683%20-%20Copy_zpscdino2oh.jpg

We left the workshop at 6 pm today 😉

DSC02684%20-%20Copy_zpsawzfkhs9.jpg

In the following days I will upload some electronic pics :lol: :lol:

I will keep you UP to DATE :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Welcome puchwudi :) ,that is going to be a fast puch-E or E puch,maxi puchE. awesome build so far,going to be interesting where you put the batteries.

Good morning : )

Before putting together the electronic stuff, I created a simple schematic, for getting an overview of all cable / connectors I nedd.

schematic_zpstkcxm7bs.jpg

Now I will show you some electronic components that I am using for my project. As described on the top the battery consists of plastic holders, which connect 6 cells mechanical with each other.

DSC01460%20-%20Copy_zpsf883pyxh.jpg

Those holders consist of a special mixture of plastic and carbonfiber, its really hard to destroy them : P The battery holders have to get about 65 degree, so the material gets very soft and you can insert the cells very smooth.

DSC01485%20-%20Copy_zpsylyar3fp.jpg

The whole pack consists of 4 holders (4 x 6 cells), they are connected with 2 hole plate connectors. Putting those parts together makes it very compact and stiff. But I am going to build it in a metal housing, therefore I will connect the pack to a transparent plastic plate, which gives a nice look to the whole bike :mrgreen:

DSC01792%20-%20Copy_zps1ncbpdqn.jpg

The plate was just a quick prototype! ;) I am getting CNC milled from a friend of mine ...

For the security of my battery I have two 24S 40A BMS boards, which have a higher balance current and a lower serial resistor :lol: Well, I had to prepare the balance lines (2 in 1 adapter)...

DSC02660%20-%20Copy_zpsig9yn8m6.jpg

DSC02665%20-%20Copy_zpshrvdaboc.jpg

I use the 18 Fet Controller from Lyen for my Cromotor, but what I didnt like were those thin cables between source and controller ;) So I updated them to 8AWG silcion cable... I am also thinking about changing the caps ...

DSC02654%20-%20Copy_zpsyuewmovf.jpg

DSC02635%20-%20Copy_zpsb2faoeez.jpg

DSC02657%20-%20Copy_zpsfiswpzx3.jpg

DSC02647%20-%20Copy_zps2xve7uir.jpg

DSC02685%20-%20Copy_zpskosxinvu.jpg

I havent seen the inside of a hubmotor before, so opened the side plates and checked the motor from inside :lol:
Those guys did a really nice work! double hall sensor, 10mm² phase cables, everything perfect :)

DSC02122%20-%20Copy_zpspcululzd.jpg

DSC02134%20-%20Copy_zpswemmmxgc.jpg

Does anyone have good tips for me, how I can safe the motor from water? painting? loads of silicone? milling holes?

@beast775: Thank you very much! :) the battery will be placed in front of the seat! ;)

@litespeed: Thanks ;)

nice conversion! i believe you are the first one who converts a puch maxi this way. when its finished, people hardly will believe you that it was one before :) its definitely unique.

on the shematic i noticed you are going to connect the throttle direct to the controller. it would be better to connect it to the CA. Im not sure if CA 2.3 can do, but version 3 supports a thermistors therefore you can protect the motor and it also has other useful features.
the AS150 connectors i have tried once, but the precharge resistor blew when i used it with 22s battery. you have similar voltage so better prepare yourself that it will be dead after first use :p i would suggest to use Jeti antispark connectors (5,5mm should be enough in combination with your fat wires) or build your own circuit.

looking forward to see it running and how you like it. i wish you success.

Hello Maddin!

Thanks for your positiv feedback! It will definitely be unique! ;)
Whats the difference between conecting the throttle to the controller / CA?
Nice that you gave me those informations, but I already bought them :p So I will try them out for sure(want to see them blowing up). I will buy the JETI connector if necessary. Hope we can have a ride If I finished ;)

wudi

puchwudi said:
Whats the difference between conecting the throttle to the controller / CA?
the CA will protect the motor from overheating if you wire up a thermistor and have the throttle signal going through it. even a Lyen 18FET can overheat cromotor in short time when you do lots of stop and go or climbing steep grades..
the temperature limit you can configure in the CA and it also has other throttle featurers which might be useful.
Hope we can have a ride If I finished ;)
would be nice :)

Hej guys!

I had a great weekend full of success! ;) The bike can stand on his own feet!!! :lol:

On Friday I finished the aluminium wing, but that wasnt so easy ... the hubmotor has different distances (from middle to each side) so the normal straight wing arms wouldnt fit on the prepared hull on the frame.

3000w%20motor%20drawing_zps4mjxv4u9.jpg

With the drawing you can easily understand my problem : )

DSC02681%20-%20Copy_zpsialo2kuj.jpg

This shows how the wing would look like with the straight arms.

the solution -->

DSC02702%20-%20Copy_zpstdmcdywn.jpg

The right side has a parallel shift of about 20mm, now it fits perfect through the hull. I had to think about a cool mount for the rear hydraulic brakes ( CODE Avid 4-piston), so I milled a easy adapter for the right wing arm.

DSC02714%20-%20Copy_zpsquq09wzn.jpg

To center the mount, i put the brake body on the brake disc on the rear disk an pushed the brake. After this we welded the two parts together.

DSC02716%20-%20Copy_zpsnhod414m.jpg

DSC02754%20-%20Copy_zpshzuyhew6.jpg

After this was done, I ran through the whole cellar and looked for a bicycle seat, just for tests :) To my surprise I also got a never used shimano aluminium foot pedal, which is in my opionion very light.

DSC02772%20-%20Copy_zpsxz96g5x9.jpg

So I mounted all mechanical parts, which are ready to mount, together and this is what came out ...

DSC02762%20-%20Copy_zpstoht53fl.jpg

DSC02759%20-%20Copy_zpswonqzsv4.jpg

I had the find the right positon for my back fork, so I compared the distances between pedal and seat with my bicycle and I really have to say that they are pretty much the same (after loads of tries :p). At the beginngin I had the problem, that the fork was set to low, so I could hardly touch the ground with my legs and it was also impossible to use the pedals like on a real bike... but now I am happy with the whole chassis.

DSC02748_zpsx7p8iaco.jpg

DSC02703%20-%20Copy_zpsxhxabkhc.jpg

DSC02790%20-%20Copy_zpsjcle4onb.jpg

DSC02791%20-%20Copy_zpsrlsbqoci.jpg

See you! :)

On sunday I started using glas fiber mat for building my own headlamp.
Starting with creating an form out of styrofoam...

DSC02793_zps8ut8kvqf.jpg

The cheapest way to cut styrofoam is a soldering iron and a metal rail for a nice line.

j_zps7gx9ifan.jpg

After cutting out the simple form (200mmx180mm) I started grinding the surface with a special grater.

DSC02810%20-%20Copy_zpspdiczwmx.jpg

I couldnt decide which design would be the best, so I build two different ones ;)
After this, I mounted them on an old peace of wood with a universal superglue.

DSC02818%20-%20Copy_zpst8j0rskn.jpg

Starting with painting the styrofoam with epoxy gum (two times because it sucks into the foam)

DSC02826%20-%20Copy_zpshsexxclk.jpg

Waiting for some hours ... then I raised them with a seperating wax and a seperating stale.

DSC02840%20-%20Copy_zpsg6yt5doy.jpg

DSC02845%20-%20Copy_zpsiihva5ry.jpg

1. Layer of glas fiber

DSC02861%20-%20Copy_zpsvclacjjm.jpg

2.Layer

DSC02879%20-%20Copy_zpsqlmehahn.jpg

The last one is a special material out of fiber glas, for a nice surface and a good mechanical stability.

result of three layers of fiber glas ...

DSC02884%20-%20Copy_zpsb4t20suy.jpg

today I will have a look @ them, I am really excited how these babies look like today! if they look good, I will think about creating my own fender (front / rear)

Enjoy your day :mrgreen:

Very nice I have been considering a similar build. Thanks for the inspiration.

Gorgeous! Nice to see some aesthetics being worked on too, not just a big ol' mess of wire and batteries like so many builds. :roll:

Good morning folks!

Thanks for your compliments! I am really happy to get such a nice feedback :)

@Sean9002: I am trying my best :lol:
@100volts+: Thank you, hope you enjoy it!

About one week ago, I got a nice offer from "spinningmagnets". He wants to publish my project on "electricbike.com"...MAN that was a surprise! :mrgreen:

Updating new stuff tomorrow ;)

This is class. I miss builds like this on ES. Too many bag/Velcro/duck tape builds for my taste. At least there are few that you can learn something, take something and use/ implement.
First i thought it will be classic build and when i saw that it will be converted to something off road, wasn't quite sure about it, but now the build is turning out very nice and not "out of place". Good luck mate!

Wow nice build!
Cool to see you have the +- the same specs as my ride :) (http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=59104).
I can garanty you that you will have a blast of a ride once it is done.

i will follow it

greetings louis raaijmakers

Thanks to all for your nice words!

Yesterday I cut the fiber glas chassis, i am amazed how good my prototypes look! :lol:

DSC02894%20-%20Copy_zps9yiwvpmx.jpg

The three layers are unbelievable strong and resistant (had no experience with it) i would also say that 3 layers are waaaay to much for a headlamp xD (4mm material thickness). After seperating the two enclosers, I started cutting them out with a multifunction rotary tool.

DSC02895%20-%20Copy_zpsvqncuspl.jpg

DSC02898%20-%20Copy_zpsqwtneglf.jpg

On the following picture you can see what the seperating wax and paint causes. It creates a thin film between the styropor and the micture of glas fiber + epoxy glue. So I was able to seperate them very smooth.

DSC02903%20-%20Copy_zpspntafd1f.jpg

DSC02907%20-%20Copy_zpsnjqjw8m8.jpg

However! This is how it looks like right now, after cleaning and milling. I put my hand next to it for a size comperison ;)

DSCF2918%20-%20Copy_zpsrvujldlt.jpg

Do you see the nice structure from the third layer? I dont know what to do with it ... polish or not? The structure could look cool after painting?!?! ... Well I dont know :mrgreen:

CU

Hej guys! Just want to keep you up to date, right now i will just upload some pics ... I will comment them later ;)

DSC02911%20-%20Copy_zpsz41pf8in.jpg

Mounting for the back fork, finally mounted them on the optimal position.

DSC02929%20-%20Copy_zpshihv0gmj.jpg

The gear mount had to be adapted so that it doesnt touch the wing arms.

DSC02915%20-%20Copy_zpswesd5puf.jpg

next step was getting the pedals working...

DSC02918%20-%20Copy_zpsoazxy0zj.jpg

We had to mount a hole for the chain tightener on the right side.

DSC02926%20-%20Copy_zps8wjri1q7.jpg

chain always jumped down from the Front gear, so we created a nice diversion on the top and bottom of the swing...

DSC02930%20-%20Copy_zpsmbcgynxh.jpg

DSC02931%20-%20Copy_zpsptedwhka.jpg

DSC02932%20-%20Copy_zpsjt70p6rw.jpg

DSC02933%20-%20Copy_zps1b6dusev.jpg

DSC02934%20-%20Copy_zpsij0aq7nk.jpg

as you can See, the chain is waay too short, i already fixed that, after putting it together, i cycled around 15km with it, without any problems....i know its not the best way ;)

DSC02937%20-%20Copy_zpswnjhb9rt.jpg

The next shots show the housing if the headway battery pack... We stopped here... I am not happy with that big box (17cm with) ... Thereto more in the next posts

DSC02938%20-%20Copy_zpstm2r5ena.jpg

DSC02939%20-%20Copy_zpsfxd4azrw.jpg

I have been looking for a strong and simple led light for the bike, so I found a nice headlamp with a XML t6 Cree led. Its perfect for my needs :)

DSC02945%20-%20Copy_zps6gscbuqh.jpg

DSC02947%20-%20Copy_zpsnb2pu4s5.jpg

DSC02957%20-%20Copy_zps3n9l2fte.jpg

DSC02960%20-%20Copy_zpsfddsiyus.jpg

Finally mounted the headlamp on my bike, i am happy with it,

finding the right angle for optimal illumination will be done in the next days

DSC02965%20-%20Copy_zpsunmrypnr.jpg

DSC02980%20-%20Copy_zpsjunaejog.jpg

haha
i had the same problem when i build my bike.. didn't thought about the chain line.
but when you put a free wheel on to the bike in my case a 7 speed the chain will be straight enough and won't need the plastic chain guides.

your build still goes strong!
louis

the brown Masking tape grips are so pro! :lol:

@louis raijmakers:The chain works great without any troubles.. I also forgot about the chain line, i was SL concentrated on the wings :p Thanks :)

@riba2233: Why arent you happy with the tires? I like them.. Mine are called sawa sport... Descirbe what you dont like, maybe i have used them for a too short time;)

@sean9002: Thanks a lot! if you want to buy some just contact me :mrgreen: :p They are just for protection ; )

Back