Best motor?

I guess any brushless outrunner >1000W below 300KV.
I got a N6364/09-KV230 but I've seen a lot of people on this forum use way smaller engines.

just from reading (I've never had a powerboard) you can get by with a 50mm diameter motor on flat terrain, but if you have any hills at all, the extra torque and amp-capability of the 63mm diameter motors is a big plus. There may be other options now, but the last time I looked, there was a 149-Kv 63mm motor that was readily available.

2wayspeaker said:
I guess any brushless outrunner >1000W below 300KV.
I got a N6364/09-KV230 but I've seen a lot of people on this forum use way smaller engines.

Hi 2wayspeaker
I have bought those for my setup (which I am building now).
Are you satisfied with it ? Any comment ?

akiraEC said:
Hi 2wayspeaker
I have bought those for my setup (which I am building now).
Are you satisfied with it ? Any comment ?

I just finished my examination period (Uni) and will get started on my build this weekend. I'm still about a month away from actually testing my prototype, so I cannot provide you any usefull feedback, sorry.

erwincoumans said:
Is there any low-KV motor for sale that has HALL sensors built-in?

I wanted to know which is best because I plan on making another sensored motor the way I made mine. I don't think there is any demand for sensored rc motors really which is why we never see them. If it works out well I was going to bulk order some and sell them.

Great to have options! I'm a fan of low kv motors (big guy), so recommend any of the 63mm motors that are also short enough to do dual rear setup... 6354 seems like the sweet spot. bigger. torque. but still compact enough to run dual.

Sensor question - looking at the add-on board from e0 - it looks like you rotate the board physically around the outside arc of the motor to get the "sweet spot" - for internal sensors how do you adjust?

sl33py said:
Great to have options! I'm a fan of low kv motors (big guy), so recommend any of the 63mm motors that are also short enough to do dual rear setup... 6354 seems like the sweet spot. bigger. torque. but still compact enough to run dual.

Sensor question - looking at the add-on board from e0 - it looks like you rotate the board physically around the outside arc of the motor to get the "sweet spot" - for internal sensors how do you adjust?

yeah i agree the 6354 is the sweet spot.... ive tried lots of motors... i have destroyed many... I think when it comes to motors most of the cheap ones from the hobby store are crap.... probably the best of the bunch has been the SK3 6354 motors... but ive had problems with them too...eventually i gave up on the hobby store stuff so i have been getting custom made motors built for the last 12 months... let me tell you when it comes to motors they all might look the same but when you pull them apart you can tell which ones have been well made. The price is a direct indication of quality when it comes to motors..

my standard rule now is, get the biggest motor you can fit. Big motors have better ability to handle the high amps and dissipate heat..they can also "better" handle being mistreated (like hauling heavy loads up really long steep hills on a 40 degree C day)... oh and more torque never hurts... also the weight increase (over 50mm diam) is only around 200 or 300 grams.

This is my latest offering in the R-SPEC range. 6356, 190kv (ideal for 10S & 83mm wheels combination), Water Proof, Computer balanced to minimise vibration, Precision Machine Wound stator, high heat resistant epoxy, 44 & 30mm bolt spacing

tumblr_nq0nwqnlbx1tvxkv0o1_1280.jpg

yeah they are not required, But i think the 5.5mm connectors just fit together better/stronger, the little 4mm ones just don't have the same mechanical force holding them together... bigger ones are also easier to grab with fingers... i was actually considering using XT150 connectors..i really like the plastic cover that comes with them, but for now they were too expensive...

484728781_740.jpg

my rule now is over engineer everything....

sl33py said:

You don't, they just go in each stator spacing or in 180 degree spacing. I have mine 180 degree. However I am now getting issue's with my sensored motor and the vesc, at high rpms it cuts off then reboots, it says a drv8302 error in the terminal for each time it does it. So it may be my vesc or it does need to be positioned just right, going to mess around with it later.

silviasol said:
sl33py said:

You don't, they just go in each stator spacing or in 180 degree spacing. I have mine 180 degree. However I am now getting issue's with my sensored motor and the vesc, at high rpms it cuts off then reboots, it says a drv8302 error in the terminal for each time it does it. So it may be my vesc or it does need to be positioned just right, going to mess around with it later.

Yeah, normal position is usually 120 degrees.

I'll have to give a vote for my E-Max BL5345 as contenders, but you won't easily find them now at the price I got them since the best reseller has shut website down. Though E-Max manufacturer has friendly contacts, you can try them.

By the way it is 53mm labelled but I sized 60mm outer diameter (the surface of the can) with 45mm profile... 195Kv standard (custom KV available only from manufacturer) and one motor like this take you really close to 4.000W.

onloop said:
sl33py said:

yeah i agree the 6354 is the sweet spot.... ive tried lots of motors... i have destroyed many... I think when it comes to motors most of the cheap ones from the hobby store are crap.... probably the best of the bunch has been the SK3 6354 motors... but ive had problems with them too...eventually i gave up on the hobby store stuff so i have been getting custom made motors built for the last 12 months... let me tell you when it comes to motors they all might look the same but when you pull them apart you can tell which ones have been well made. The price is a direct indication of quality when it comes to motors..

my standard rule now is, get the biggest motor you can fit. Big motors have better ability to handle the high amps and dissipate heat..they can also "better" handle being mistreated (like hauling heavy loads up really long steep hills on a 40 degree C day)... oh and more torque never hurts... also the weight increase (over 50mm diam) is only around 200 or 300 grams.

This is my latest offering in the R-SPEC range. 6356, 190kv (ideal for 10S & 83mm wheels combination), Water Proof, Computer balanced to minimise vibration, Precision Machine Wound stator, high heat resistant epoxy, 44 & 30mm bolt spacing

tumblr_nq0nwqnlbx1tvxkv0o1_1280.jpg

nice motor. looks like the tacon 160. the tacon 160 you can get for 55$ which is a great deal. After taking a couple motors apart some have pressfit bearings and some slide. some with 3 bearings some just two. the tacon 160 does well in both cases.
I have yet to see anyone use a Scorpion brand motor but their 50mm motors are rated for the wattage of a standard 60mm at least. really nice motors but about 3 times the cost.

one feature I'd like to see in a board motor, which I think torque now does, is a longer shaft. Also a keyway already cut is nice. All motors should be waterproof.

One thing about the low kv motors that isn't good is they have very thin wires which have the ability to vibrate or possibly rub against each other and eventually rub the enamel insulation off and cause a short. You can add some thermally conductive epoxy, which is pretty common, to keep things from moving and get higher wattage due to less heat as well

Has anyone used inrunners paired with a planetary gearbox?

Judging by their specs, large inrunners have a better power/weight ratio than outrunners (due to having much higher RPM).

I am just wondering why I am not seeing such a build mentioned anywhere.

That's one of them. They have a bunch including some weird designer ones that cost even more. I want one.

Someone long ago posted an inrunner that had potential with a relatively low kv, think it was made by Poseidon . Ian inrunner without teeth but still iron, forget the name, could be great with no cogging but still iron for torque.

I used to buy Scorpion when I was into RC copters; just wondering which one would make the deal to replace my 63mm Alien motors (170KV, 3200watt, 80Amp, 63mmx74mm, 10mm shaft, 10t, weight: 750g).

I remember scorpion motors to be kinda brutal. I wish I could find a motors as smooth and silent as I have on my girlfriend Evolve Carbon. Maybe it does not produce noise because it's within a solid box/enclosure

@onloop, does your motors run on 12S ? I think they look cool and are smaller than my actual APS ones.

okp said:
I used to buy Scorpion when I was into RC copters; just wondering which one would make the deal to replace my 63mm Alien motors (170KV, 3200watt, 80Amp, 63mmx74mm, 10mm shaft, 10t, weight: 750g).

I remember scorpion motors to be kinda brutal. I wish I could find a motors as smooth and silent as I have on my girlfriend Evolve Carbon. Maybe it does not produce noise because it's within a solid box/enclosure

I'm pretty sure it's because Evolve is brushed versus Unsensored. Also the box/enclosure definitely provides a good sound barrier.

I doubt the price would justify for that single motor. I'd take a 4WD setup over that 1WD setup any day of the week.

The truth is you won't ever have enough battery power for that motor unless you spent an arm and a leg and/or made your eBoard an eTank.

Ridiculous motor though 3500watts (95amps) / 5800 watts peak (140amps)

GWgyATW.png

http://www.scorpionsystem.com/catalog/aeroplane/motors_1/sii-55/S-5535-190KV/

okp said:
yes, not sure it could be easy to make a motor enclosure on a 63mm... I am quite sure the motor on my Evolve is in runner

You can make one similar to the EOdesigns and grab the top part of the motor and have it move upward to be a bigger diameter than the motor itself.

Should provide some protection plus a bit of a dampener for sound. Not as good as an inrunner of course.

Back