JST-SM Crimp Tool

nutspecial said:
whoa whoa fill me in before I can't cancel it!!
I ordered the amazon '09', but thought I didn't need ratcheting for such little crimps.
No, the 09 is the non-ratcheting tool. Izeman is referring to the other.

I bought the ratcheting SN-28B model and although at first I found it a little unwieldy, after a few crimps my technique has improved hugely. The correct positioning of the pin in the tool is key. I actually find that the ratcheting action helps hold the pin in place while you position the wire correctly before the final cinch. My only niggle with it is that depending on the wire gauge you are crimping, it sometimes needs a second attempt at really cinching down the pins in a smaller die. Since this is the only JST crimp tool I've used though, this might be the norm. It certainly is with some of my other crimp tools.

I've no doubt however that the Japanese 09 is a better tool, but my decision was influenced by cost - it was near a quarter of the price.

izeman said:
imho those are the best crimpers you can get: http://www.amazon.com/Engineer-PA-09-Micro-Connector-Crimpers/dp/B002AVVO7K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432123464&sr=8-1&keywords=jst+crimp+tool

they make excellent crimps. no ratching mechanism or other goofy stuff. just plain crimping. but high quality steel, very precise. i guess i did at least a thousand crimps with them and they go like new.

BUT just for the fun of it, and because i love tools, i ordered one of those SN-28B models to try out :)
i will tell you my personal experience comparing the two.

I was just getting the link for the PA-09 to add here. These are nice pliers that will do much more than the JST-SM. I very much second them!

nutspecial said:
http://www.electricscooterparts.com/blackwireconnectors.html
I started off with a few sets of these for pretty cheap stateside.

But wholly smokes, 100pairs- that is an awesome deal. That's going on the shopping list.

I'm on the fence with the crimping tools, waiting for someone to confirm i'm an idiot for using the needlenose pliers on about 100+ conductors so far. :lol:

I've purchased the assorted JST connectors kit from both eBikes.ca and the individual packaged connectors from electric scooter.com. eBikes.ca black plastic connectors are a higher quality product side by side to electricscooter.com's.

eBikes.ca products always cost more....but clearly, it's always about delivering quality with Justin

The crimping tool is a must for those who don't see well close up

you are correct. ebikes.ca's connectors seem to be the higher quality one. but differences are minimal, and for the price of the 100pcs bag i won't complain. i ordered ebikes' packs at least 3 times, and need a lot of those on a regular base and change the connectors quite often. so MORE is not always better, but it is in my case :)

Ykick said:
cycborg said:
Related issue - please share tools/techniques for removing the pins from the connector instead of just cutting the whole thing off and starting over. You know, like when you want to add a washer to your axle and it doesn't fit over the hall connector.

I use a sewing needle or straight pin to depress the tang retaining it in the housings. Takes some practice and may help to memorize a blank contact to understand where to press. Once you get it out, the tang will likely need to be re-shaped a bit to be re-used.

Speaking of JST crimping tools - I recently got one of these and does a great job - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=34109
WOO HOO thanks Ykick.
never having to change jaws again is akin to ___.

I've been waiting for HK to get stocked up on 16Ah multistar bats before I make an order. (i want lots of 6S and 4S) (and now a crimping tool for JST's -life is goo-ey)

I so like ratchet action... allows me to get the wire just right before the "crunch"
+we each use our 'special' tools in our own 'special' ways
wut da heck did I just type?

Hahaha @ ddk… you might be holding out on us?

I try to avoid adding anything non-battery to my HK RC Lipo orders but it’ll probably be fine.

From what I can tell it’s an okay crimper for Futaba/JST small contacts - I actually like it better than a blue-handle version I got someplace else (eBay?) several years ago.

izeman said:
the connector set arrived yesterday. i LOVE it. i LOVE to have enough spares when i do the rewiring, and just have to grab in my box and take out the correct connector instead of removing pins from an old one and re-using that.

i can HIGHLY recommend that seller and his products to everyone needing those.

Just ordered :) Thanks for the recommendation Izeman!

izeman said:
imho those are the best crimpers you can get: http://www.amazon.com/Engineer-PA-09-Micro-Connector-Crimpers/dp/B002AVVO7K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432123464&sr=8-1&keywords=jst+crimp+tool

they make excellent crimps. no ratching mechanism or other goofy stuff. just plain crimping. but high quality steel, very precise. i guess i did at least a thousand crimps with them and they go like new.

BUT just for the fun of it, and because i love tools, i ordered one of those SN-28B models to try out :)

So, how did it go with the SN-28B and JST-SM compared to the PA-09 5 years later :lol:
I'm curious to know.
:pancake:

eikido said:
izeman said:

So, how did it go with the SN-28B and JST-SM compared to the PA-09 5 years later :lol:
I'm curious to know.
Super easy answer. PA-09 forever over all. 8) :lol:

izeman said:
eikido said:
izeman said:

I'm curious to know.
Super easy answer. PA-09 forever over all. 8) :lol:

Wonderful.

I need a JST-SM crimper.
I got the SN-01BM but it doesn't work at all it seems.

Thanks

Back