Search problems, fixes, suggestions (merged threads)

What is up with the search function here. I type in GNG and I get "no suitable results" I type "GNG Mid drive" and I get results for Bafang and all sorts of other mid drives but nothing for GNG.

Is there some reason that we are not allowed to search for GNG?

I just bought a 48v 450w kit and I wanted to see if it was feasible to run it on 72v but now I can't even search. Anyone have any ideas what is wrong?

Select "using google search" under the search field box. This sites native search function has been bustardo for a while.

Just note that using google search turns up results for people's signatures as well.

Like This :wink:

Not really an issue... unless people have lists of all the components on their bikes :roll:. I know it can be a bit annoying on flashlight forums and the likes at least.

I've found and merged a number of scattered, sunken threads about various issues with search here on ES that had suggestions on how to better find things, and made it sticky here in the Forum Rules and Features forum.

While I'm here:

I ran into a problem finding things with the word "Zero" or "zero" in them. EDIT: this problem actually extends to any simple number as a word. Four, Five, Seven, Eight, Nine, (and of course any three-letter singledigit number).

The PHPBB search says "No suitable matches were found." if I enter any of those words, with or without quotes, into the Search for keywords: text box, and press my Enter key or click the Search button.

Doesn't matter if I choose any other options or leave them at defaults, and doesn't matter if I use "Search for all terms or use query as entered" or "Search for any terms".

It's not a four-character-word thing, either (lke the three-character-word problem with the indexing), cuz it *will* find things like "cave", "rock", "burp", "flow", etc.

It also works once past ten, so Eleven works, and Twelve, etc.

I'm thinking it must be something in an Exclude list in the search indexing program?

Hmm...if I search for something else (that I know is also in some of the posts with the word Zero) like HSR3548, then in the results page there is a box for "search these results". If I *then* put Zero in *that* box, and search, it DOES find posts with Zero in it, and highlights Zero in them.

It will also work if I do the main search with HSR3548 Zero, and it will also highlight Zero in the posts. It just won't work by itself.

Well, if you're gonna put it THAT way, you could have posted in toxic. But there's been discussions, it ain't a popular function.

We're hoping it'll get better over time, the way telephone terminals did. Imagine having to be around them 120 years ago.

rare029.jpg

It certainly has it's issues. Did you read this thread? :
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=64385

If it's ok with you I'd like to merge your thread with that one.

Its probbaly in the htread amberwolf linked to, but...

When I need to search I open a new tab and go to google (If I need "derailleur"), then type in:

site:endless-sphere.com derailleur

Great tip on using multiple tabs and goog. The goog checkbox is also handy, as is the advanced search function (users/topics/keywords etc.). I'm not sure it can get much better without improved organization of site/posts/threads/topics.
But I vote for improvement in the ability to find info easier, till then I'll try to do my part to link applicable stuff in my threads to help the reader, even though when I usually post I'm looking for input myself. I'll also try not to be the a-hole(s) that tends to post inflamatory sht on others' threads.

Oh snap, btw this is not meant to inflame, I would just like to see improvement also. :mrgreen: (potentially slightly obnoxious mr green)

I am not good at searching, I would like to be better at it. But I am a multiple tab kind of fellow myself.
It would be nice to have a tutorial on how to search properly. Like using something where you want all the words as they are, or one or the other word.

Thanx, it never crossed my mind to google, 'How to search properly"

But I hope to god you know, google saves everything you type in, even if you do not hit enter key.
So sooner or later, if not now, they know allabout your health n $%#^. Unless you tap into remote IP addy. Which isnt hard to do.

Apparently search is now broken when looking for "com".

I was trying to find threads with "ebikekit.com" in various spellings, and always got "no suitable matches found", even though I KNOW there are dozens of them, probably hundreds or even thousands of posts with it in various forms.

You can find words that *contain* "com", but you can't use it by itself, nor can you use it as "*com" or anything".com"; doing so will prevent search from working.

This is a serious problem when trying to find things, as there's stuff like what I'm looking for that will find far too many things to sort thru if the ".com" part is not included.

It would be great if I could search the adds local to me.

That in mind, can you have a pyramid system so one can post in USA&Canada, Europe or southerners. So I could look in any area, or go up the pyramid one folder to see down into all 3 at once for a global view.

Back