Mopeds in NC Now "Registered"

jkbrigman

10 kW
As of July 1, 2015, you must register a moped in North Carolina, and certify it's not a motorcycle. From the document http://www.ncdot.gov/download/dmv/VR_MVR1A.pdf here's the text:

***MOPED CUSTOMERS ONLY***
I attest to the following: (Must Initial)
1. This vehicle has two or three wheels, no external shifting device and a motor that does not exceed 50 cubic
centimeters piston displacement. ____________ (owner’s initial)
2. This vehicle cannot propel at a speed greater than 30 miles per hour on a level surface. ______(owner’s
initials)

I am apprehensive that the NC DMV refers to the public as "customers" now. At first I thought it was an improvement over "damn taxpayers we hate" but now it's just a euphemism for the same sentiment when you have no choice but to become...a..."customer" and you ride a moped.

No sign of ebike registration, but they came perilously close.

My ebike has "no external shifting device and a motor that does not exceed 50 cubic centimeters piston displacement". I know that this is targeting small gas motor 49cc cycles that can go faster than 30mph, but it seems like the bikes can fall into that category.

I actually ran into similar language when looking for liability insurance for my bike. The insurance company form had this sort of language, and as far as I can tell my state laws for small displacement motorcycles cover my ebike.

The way I understand it from a bud of mine who lived in Europe for about a decade, is that they register, and insure, their bikes there. (Insurance against both liability and theft/damage/destruction, I think?)

Anyone on the forums in Europe care to comment about this?

I wonder if you can still ride the moped without a license...? NC if i remember correctly didn't require a license OR registration.

jkbrigman said:
The way I understand it from a bud of mine who lived in Europe for about a decade, is that they register, and insure, their bikes there. (Insurance against both liability and theft/damage/destruction, I think?)
Anyone on the forums in Europe care to comment about this?

Registration and insurance of a moped has always been compulsory here. EU brought the compulsory driver"s licence requirement. Helmet laws came during the sixties if i remember correctly.
Insurance is there to pay your bills if you get hit, or you pay the bills of a person that you possibly run over. According to recent study 88% of our mopeds are illegally tuned. There is no power limit any more, only cylinder capacity and a speed limit. Going over 45 km/h is illegal but only exceeding 65 km/h makes your moped a motorcycle. E-Moped power limit is 4 kilowatts, pedals are not required.

by definition a moped must have pedals ... at least that was true when 'mopeds' were first created and were popular. They also had two and three speed gear boxes. I haven't seen a new one in over 30 years (maybe even 50 years)
moped(small).jpg
Note the pedals

LewTwo said:
by definition a moped must have pedals ... at least that was true when 'mopeds' were first created and were popular. I haven't seen a new one in over 30 years.

That was true fifty years ago, not anymore. Mopeds do not have to have pedals in Finland at least. Which is kinda funny i agree, because we call moped a MOPO, which means "motored bicycle".

Eskimo said:
That was true fifty years ago, not anymore. Mopeds do not have to have pedals in Finland at least. Which is kinda funny i agree, because we call moped a MOPO, which means "motored bicycle".

That is because 'lawyers' are allowed to redefine the language to suit their own purposes (much like 'unlimited' data was defined by Sprint to be less than 5 gigabytes).
In English the term came from words "motor" and "pedal" --> moped. In fact you could not get the motor started unless the machine was rolling. That usually meant pedaling or pushing off downhill.

Back