Open Source Arduino transmitter/receiver for (V)ESC

erwincoumans said:
The I/O shield is bigger than I hoped, I received it yesterday, so I look for a smaller solution.
Maybe we can design a simple small PCB and share the schematics. (those soldered wires become messy and take space)
Got one today as well, one would have to fold it to fit into the Kama. :)
Will think about other possibilities...

elkick said:
erwincoumans said:
The I/O shield is bigger than I hoped, I received it yesterday, so I look for a smaller solution.
Maybe we can design a simple small PCB and share the schematics. (those soldered wires become messy and take space)
Got one today as well, one would have to fold it to fit into the Kama. :)
Will think about other possibilities...
Just curious, why don't you use thin wires and solder them? For example 30 Gauge wire like this: http://www.amazon.com/30AWG-Plated-Copper-Insulation-Electronic/dp/B008AGUETS/ref=sr_1_8?s=lamps-light&ie=UTF8&qid=1433948556&sr=1-8&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_browse-bin%3A5908401011%2Cp_n_feature_two_browse-bin%3A6426179011

In my first prototype the wires were not thin and it still fits:

FullSizeRender_4.jpg
FullSizeRender_2.jpg

If you really want to fit the Arduino and nRF24L01+ inside the Kama Nunchuck, wires is likely the easiest. It would likely require some custom PCB with a bended shape to fit the internals. I was thinking of a small custom PCB for a custom enclosure.

I'll definitely solder it together, but have to wait for the Arduino without shield to fit into the Nunchuk (I like the controls of it). Also thinking of a way to implement a "officer's-speed-limit-switch", they are quite restrictive over here. But by limiting the speed by switching the board to a pedestrian compatible one will avoid this (6kph). ;)

elkick said:
I'll definitely solder it together, but have to wait for the Arduino without shield to fit into the Nunchuk
Yes, I like it too, hence the effort of gutting it. It will likely look and feel better than a custom 3d printed enclosure. I use this Nano, it has no pins pre-soldered so it takes less space. And they do same-day delivery :)
http://www.amazon.com/Lucksender-Atmega328p-Controller-Development-Compatible/dp/B00N9WVXMK/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1433950782&sr=8-5&keywords=arduino+nano
(I like the controls of it). Also thinking of a way to implement a "officer's-speed-limit-switch", they are quite restrictive over here. But by limiting the speed by switching the board to a pedestrian compatible one will avoid this (6kph). ;)
What ESC are you using? When using the VESC, we could directly attach a nRF24L01+ to the VESC and read out the electrical RPM and derive a very precise speed from it. I got instructions from Benjamin Vedder how to hook it up, and then we could write a VESC-App for it that communicates with the remote Arduino Nano-nRF24L01+. Does that make sense?

torqueboards said:
Are we still making it compatible with all ESCs and a specific version for VESC or is now just for VESC?

First I work on making a generic ESC version, using two Arduino Nano', each with its own nRF24L01+.

In addition, we MIGHT get an OPTIONAL VESC receiver App. The transmitter would be the same for both cases.

The VESC already has support for the nrf24l01+. Only the nunchuk interface is implemented, but it is easy to extend the code to get data back from the nrf. To connect the nrf to the VESC:

CE -> Tied to VCC
CSN -> The servo input (you have to remove the lowpass filter on the servo input)
SCK -> The ADC_EXT pin
MOSI -> The SDA pin
MISO -> The SCL pin
IRQ -> not connected
VCC -> VCC
GND -> GND

To remove the filter from the servo input, remove C3 and replace R5 with a 0R resistor.

you can also change the mapping easily in this file:
https://github.com/vedderb/bldc/blob/master/hwconf/hw_46.h
Since software spi is used, you can use any pins in any combination.

This is the code for my modified nunchuk PCB:
https://github.com/vedderb/nunchuk_mod
It is not compatible with arduino, but you can see which nrf channels etc have been used. Once I have made a second revision of the hardware, I will upload it to github as well.

Also, here is my entry for most-shitty-controller ;

http://imgur.com/a/TCktG

* zarya's 'nrfsensornode v1' board ( https://nurdspace.nl/NrfSensorNode ), which has;
** ams1117 regulator
** arduino pro mini
** nrf24l01

also;

* adafruit powerboost 500
* 500mah lipo (also from adafruit)

* powerswitch (soldered into the battery, ha)
* potmeter (some random one i found)
* housing (charger of some thing, no clue, it fit my hand :D )

@erwincoumans: Got all those parts now, will start soldering within the next days. Also, I'll try it with a Logic3-Nunchuk, since it contains the Lipo already. Need to setup the environment on my Mac first to test things.

Ok, I'm a step further now, soldered everything. While understanding how to connect the receiver part to the ESC I'm struggling with the transmitter to potentiometer side: not able to find the right spot on the potentiometer.

Do you have a picture as an example or could you describe how to find the right spot to connect Analog 3 to? The Logic3 Nunchuk has a lot of things I snide an is looking quite confusing. ;) Else I will use a Kama...

How are you guys powering the arduino boardside? Any safe way of using the 5v from the esc?

dakster said:
How are you guys powering the arduino boardside? Any safe way of using the 5v from the esc?

In many cases the 3-pin servo cable delivers 5V, ground and signal. You can just connect this to the 5V pin of most Arduino's.

Hello erwin

Great project

I need some help, the rx code works fine, but i'm getting errors with the tx one, could you please have a look? i didn't yet understand all of the code, but on a superficial look seems something wrong whit the RF24 library

Thanks

Code:
Arduino: 1.6.3 (Windows 7), Placa:"Arduino Nano, ATmega328"

nrf24l01_transmitter.ino: In function 'void loop()':

nrf24l01_transmitter.ino:111:71: error: no matching function for call to 'RF24::write(unsigned char [4], int&, bool)'

nrf24l01_transmitter.ino:111:71: note: candidate is:

In file included from nrf24l01_transmitter.ino:2:0:

C:\Users\Pedro\Documents\Arduino\libraries\RF24/RF24.h:281:8: note: bool RF24::write(const void*, uint8_t)

bool write( const void* buf, uint8_t len );

^

C:\Users\Pedro\Documents\Arduino\libraries\RF24/RF24.h:281:8: note:   candidate expects 2 arguments, 3 provided

Erro compilando.

Este relatório deveria ter mais informações
  "Mostrar saída verbosa durante a compilação"
  habilitado em Arquivo > Preferências.

@Pedeodemio, see above:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1059380#p1059380

Please file an issue in github if you can. The version of RF24 is likely different and the 'false' is not needed in your version.

Hi guys, as Vedder has said he has started work on a PCB to replace the PCB inside a wii nunchuck, his firmware is on his GitHub but I have helped him times wise by redesigning it, it is 26x46mm so it can be used not just in a nunchuck, it has a charging and step down for a lipo battery! The PCB alone will only be about $20 to make at 100pcs
For the VESC only the NRF24 chip will connect directly to the best and nothing els is needed but I want your help with designing the PCB for a receiver that can be used with non VESC esc's but keep function like lights and cruise control.

Iv attached photos of the remote PCB and the schematic for the receiver.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 3,224
I like your STM32F4 based solution Jacob.

We use the nRF24L01+ transceiver radios too.

This thread is about using Arduinos that can be programmed using the popular Arduino IDE.

I know I posted to ask if any one if knowledge could confirm my schematic I attached, I'm not trying to bomb!

jacobbloy said:
I know I posted to ask if any one if knowledge could confirm my schematic I attached, I'm not trying to bomb!

Sure, and I just ordered one PCB+nunchuck from you.

Most people have no idea how to design a PCB, that's one reason we go for Arduino. I have no idea about PCB design either (yet). I do like the simplicity and fast way or programming the Arduino's. Hopefully we can program the STM32F4 remote controller with USB firmware upload in the future, similar to the VESC.

This is the design for my receiver, hiply I can start modifying some code, the good thing is I think I can basically take the nrf receiver code and the nrf application code from the VESC and use that and just modify it to produce a pwm output instead!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 3,141
Back