E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Allex said:
Emmet, cannot be lifepo4 as with its lower energy density it would be impossible to fit in the fighter

No, the first generation pouch packs that came out for the Fighters and Bombers back in late 2011 early 2012 were Lifepo4 chemistry. This was when Stealth shrunk the frames on the bikes when they stopped using Headway Cells. The Fighter was running a 16s pack and the Bomber was running a 24s pack. Hot off charge for the Fighter back then was 58.4 volts instead fo 58.8 now with the Li Ion chemistry. My dad is still running the original pouch cell Lifepo4 pack his Bomber, my old Bomber. Its funning because he charges it and the fault HVC shuts down at 87.4 volts, but after it sits for a few hours, the volts drop to 80.1 or 79.9 depending on temperature. Lifepo4 isn't a bad chemistry, it does suck when the weather is cold and doesn't have the energy storage density foer kg as Li Ion Li Co or Li Poly and some of the other exotic chemistries though.

Thats what I ment, new generation Fighters cannot store 1500Wh worth of lifepo4 as it would not fit, so therefore they are prolly using 18650 li/ion cells

Lifepo4 is 3.65V per cell hot off the charger and drops to 3.33V after rest. Similar to PB batteries, so totally normal.

Thanks guys. All clear.

Something which is not clear to me is why my Lifepo4 battery loses some grunt when not cycled due to a few weeks storage. It can be the same volts every time before I hit the trails, but after lack of use it just doesn't pump out full grunt. Even in summer. So it's not a temperature thing. It's time related. I guess impacting amps, not volts. It recovers though. Roughly X cycles needed after X weeks storage before it gives normal/full acceleration again.

I'm presently away for a couple of weeks. When I get home it'll be interesting to see how it performs, since this time I purposely stored the battery with about 70% charge instead of full. That is, I did a full charge then used about 30% before packing it away.

I upgraded the battery on my Stealth Bomber to a 100v 27ah battery and I have been blowing controllers and BMS's every since my upgrade. I would like to have my reliability back without going back to a stock configuration. Any suggestions on what equipment would work for my battery setup?

OrangeCountyBomber said:
I upgraded the battery on my Stealth Bomber to a 100v 27ah battery and I have been blowing controllers and BMS's every since my upgrade. I would like to have my reliability back without going back to a stock configuration. Any suggestions on what equipment would work for my battery setup?
Adaptto Max-E and never look back......

Emmet, some of your cells are probably low and need a few cycles before they restore full power, my recommendation is that you keep your charger on for 24h after long storage, this will then slowly top of the low cells, see if this helps.

Orange, for a 100v pack you need a >100v controller and a bms that suits it, so either start there or downgrade to a battery that is under ~98v volts
P.s. Morati how do you like adaptto so far, compared to a bomber controller?
TV, yes, mini-e is just as silent as Max-e

OrangeCountyBomber said:

Orange county badass, (like your avatar name) your Bomber's controller is an 18 FET 4110 Fet controller. The 4110 Fet is rated for 100 volts, but due to load inductance, you shouldn't use any 4110 Fet controller above 96 volts. That said, a controller with 4115 Fets can handle voltage up to 135 reliably. I would have your battery builder build you a 20, 21, or even a 22s pack and I think your reliability issues will be resolved. It was mentioned earlier to run a Max E controller, but going above 96-98 volts with them is also a gamble. I would not do that. As far as your BMS goes, the only way that should be tripping off is if you are exceeding its amps discharge limits, again, the solution is to not exceed what ever your BMS is rated for on Max discharge. Any tech guys out there that know otherwise please chime in.

Thats what I ment, new generation Fighters cannot store 1500Wh worth of lifepo4 as it would not fit, so therefore they are prolly using 18650 li/ion cells

Lifepo4 is 3.65V per cell hot off the charger and drops to 3.33V after rest. Similar to PB batteries, so totally normal.

Allex, I knew that you know that, I only stated it on the event that some of the readers didn't, and wanted to help out with passing along the information. :mrgreen:

Cowardlyduck said:
How many cycles are the new LiPo packs rated at?

My old Stock LiFeP04 pack is now on over 500 cycles...it still 'works', but has some pretty bad sag and has lost about 20% capacity at low load...35% at high load.

Cheers

My old Bomber that Pops now rides has over 1000 cycles on the battery. He told me, just this week, he went for a 62 mile ride, and used 1492wh. The Temp was 90F, and he took it easy and pedal assisted as much as he could, (he just turned 70 in Jan so needles to say, he isn't Lance Armstrong). The ride was just over 3 1/2 hours. My dad also said if he had just blasted the throttle WOT after the ride, he would have induced BMS shut down. Here is the thing with that battery in my old Bomber. When my Fighter arrived 15 months ago, my dad got the Bomber. When I handed the keys over to him, I could ride it and on a warm day after 1220wh or so consumed, if I WOT the throttle, it would BMS shut down. Well now dad claims that he can WOT the throttle after 1300wh is consumed on a warm day and not shut down BMS. I should note that when I rode my Bomber, I had the LVC set at 69. When I handed it over to dad, I increased the LVC to 70 for his sake. Anyway, my dad claims that riding the Bomber easy, and frequently, he has rejuvenated the pack and it works better now than it did back in March 2014. I would call BS on it if I was hearing this from a pilgrim, but not my dad. Anyway, he doesn't ride like us, and if we rode like him, out batteries would last a bit longer in general.

Very true Rick.
I used my Fighter battery on my recumbent commuter for about 4-5 months over summer here in Aus. I was regularly able to get 16+ AH out of the pack, even when not taking it easy...mind you, thrashing it on the recumbents low aero, 20" rear wheel is probably the equivalent of taking it easy on the Fighter...if I smash it on the Fighter I can hit BMS shutdown in 11-12AH used.
I'm setting up the Fighter (for now) with the old stock battery inside the frame and an additional 400Wh of LiPo in a backpack so I have decent range. It's only temporary until I can afford a proper new 18650 battery, or some MultiStars. :D

Cheers

Cowardlyduck said:
Very true Rick.
I used my Fighter battery on my recumbent commuter for about 4-5 months over summer here in Aus. I was regularly able to get 16+ AH out of the pack, even when not taking it easy...mind you, thrashing it on the recumbents low aero, 20" rear wheel is probably the equivalent of taking it easy on the Fighter...if I smash it on the Fighter I can hit BMS shutdown in 11-12AH used.
I'm setting up the Fighter (for now) with the old stock battery inside the frame and an additional 400Wh of LiPo in a backpack so I have decent range. It's only temporary until I can afford a proper new 18650 battery, or some MultiStars. :D

Cheers

I am waiting to hear what the real deal is with the multi star 16000mAH 6s units. I know one guy running them on a MAC 8 and he is only drawing 2c with 2 6s packs in series making it a 12s 16ah battery. That's not really a good test to determine what volt sag would be for say 5-10c discharge. I am thinking that my next pack will be from Allex made out of 25R cells. Probably going to go with a 16s 10P pack, was originally looking at more but figured I would keep the pack light. 67 hot with 25aH will give me good range, and not weigh very much, I figure with the OVS options on the Max E, will have plenty of top speed with the MXUS 4t. Of course, I could change my mind at the last minute and go 20s. Just don't know.

OrangeCountyBomber said:

If you want your reliability back best to buy an addapto controller and charge to 98 volt. I run my 24s Lipo pack like this for 2 months without any issues until my new pack arrived. I rode a bomber on the weekend with a max.e controller and you won't be disappointed.

Depending on what your battery packs max Amps are you will need to adjust the maximum Battery amps on the controller so you don't trip the BMS.

The Adaptto min.e will over heat with your 5403 motor so best to go for the Max.e even though you might not be able to run it at its maximum 130 battery amps.

I do like the sound of 98V Adaptto in the Bomber on the trails but the 30Ah pack in the Fighter has changed the way I ride & charge. Rather than charge after every ride like I did previously, I find the best way now is to just keep riding until I've consumed around 24Ah leaving around 20% in reserve at all times. So around 60km is plenty of range for almost a week of riding around the city at times. When I need extra range, it's always there if I need it.

remf said:
I do like the sound of 98V Adaptto in the Bomber on the trails but the 30Ah pack in the Fighter has changed the way I ride & charge. Rather than charge after every ride like I did previously, I find the best way now is to just keep riding until I've consumed around 24Ah leaving around 20% in reserve at all times. So around 60km is plenty of range for almost a week of riding around the city at times. When I need extra range, it's always there if I need it.

Yah, with your new battery, you can get a way charging and discharging to 20% on a weekly basis.. I just wouldn't store your bike at 20% SOC. I know you know this, just saying it for those who may not.

Rix,

Arn't you a cop? I seem to remember reading that somewhere in this thread.If so why havn't you talked your department into buying a couple or so of Stealth Police Bikes?

Geez I wonder who would be first to volunteer for the Stealth bike beat! :D

Somehow I think this has already crossed your mind.

Tim

Archer said:
Rix,

Arn't you a cop? I seem to remember reading that somewhere in this thread.If so why havn't you talked your department into buying a couple or so of Stealth Police Bikes?

Geez I wonder who would be first to volunteer for the Stealth bike beat! :D

Somehow I think this has already crossed your mind.

Tim

You are correct, I work in sanitation :mrgreen: and yes, there was an occasion where I employed my old Bomber when we were watching a house with a lot of "suspected" drug traffic coming in out of it. One of the guys I was working with would walk by the house at night trying to gather information along with articulable facts and circumstances for a warrant request. Every time he walked in that area, dogs would bark from all over the neighborhood alerting everyone that the fuzz was around. When I used my Bomber, not a single dog barked. Needless to say, by the time we got into the house, all the chemicals and crap for cooking were gone. Still quarantined the house though as it was an environmental hazard. Even though this was an uneventful bust, is does outline some of the tactical potential uses for the Fighter and Bomber. Mostly human reconnaissance, aka intelligence gathering.

Rix said:
When I used my Bomber, not a single dog barked

Not sure why but I'm constantly chased by everything from Great Dane to Chihuahua on my Bomber...needless to say no dog gets close...you get to know them & only the stupid ones try more than once.

Thinking about it, people don't lock their dogs up in rural areas like they do in the city....I never get chased in Sydney.

Yeah normally dogs go nuts with the higher frequency of our hub motors/controllers that we can't hear.
Here's an old vid of a nasty little bugger who wanted a piece of me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plN8f4bATEo

Rix, I reckon where an ebike would be good for law enforcement / military uses would be for raids or infiltration were you need to rapidly approach the target in silence. Even with patrolling sentries / look outs you could approach from 2 blocks away in seconds and be on them before they knew what hit em :mrgreen:

Yeah you ain't wrong there Jay...there's definitely something about square wave controllers + hub motors that sets dogs off...I posted about it previously here:
https://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=42276

I wonder if the new Sinewave controllers negate this effect though?
I haven't yet ridden my Adaptto enough to encounter any dogs to find out...anyone else with a sinewave controller care to comment...do dogs react at all?

Cheers

Cowardlyduck said:
Yeah you ain't wrong there Jay...there's definitely something about square wave controllers + hub motors that sets dogs off...I posted about it previously here:
https://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=42276

I wonder if the new Sinewave controllers negate this effect though?
I haven't yet ridden my Adaptto enough to encounter any dogs to find out...anyone else with a sinewave controller care to comment...do dogs react at all?

Cheers
Classic. Only one way to find out...

Back