Check my set-up please & thanks!

Pylonflyer

10 mW
Long time lurker, first time posting. :D
I'm putting together a single motor, 8S board.

300kv 50mm motor
Castle 85 HV esc
8S 4000mAh and 8S 4700mAh (I fly RC stuff as well)
Wiiceiver & Nunchuck

Here is my main question, what speed and gearing might I look at for this? I'm actually building more of a single wheel, modular power pod (still in design phase) and not directly powering the board wheels. So I'm still choosing the wheel diameter but likely 78-84mm. My current board wheels are actually 73 but that's not really an issue for this. I already have a 40 tooth drive pulley with 9mm belt. I'm thinking 15 tooth pinion but not sure based on lack of experience. Don't need 30+ mph, maybe 19-23.

Thanks in advance!!
-Troy

Attachments

• e-board 1.jpg
    e-board 1.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 1,360
  • e-board 2.jpg
    e-board 2.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 2,164
300KV is a bit high for KV. Especially, since you have a 40T. Your best bet is to run a smaller pulley if you can or even lower KV.

With 12/40 300KV at 8S your est mph is 25-28mph. Your torque will be a bit lower even still because it's a 300KV motor. I'd opt for a motor in the 150-250kv range.

Thanks for the prompt response! Yeah, the 300kv is what I found quick to test. I could always get a bigger gear but it sounds like I might want to get a smaller pinion (I'll be ordering one from you 8) ). Not too concerned with climbing big hills yet. Flat and level is what I'll mostly ride for now around town.

Quick Request
Does anyone have a single or pair of 78-83mm wheels they want to get rid of? Used and decent condition is fine. I have spare 73mm wheels but they are much too short to fit the drive sprocket on for my project. TIA

de nada.

They are not as nice as real flywheels. But if you were willing to go used, i bet they will work just fine. I have noticed that the internal plastic "spokes" are thicker than the flywheels. ADS gear/hub wouldn't fit on mine w/o modifying (dremel/file). Not the end of the world, but not exact clones to the flywheels.

GL! Post up when you get it built!

sl33py said:
maybe grab a set of the 83mm Flywheel clones off ebay? Only 25'ish w/ shipping.

I doubt you are going to find cheaper wheels even used.

HTH - GL!

These are absolutely horrible if you care about having a smooth ride over older pavement, and they need to be filed down to fit the hub meant for flywheels. I highly recommend grabbing 76mm 78A Abec11 Flywheels for $60, since the 83mm ones are like $100.

I'm going after this from a different angle based on another prototype I did about a year ago. I'm still working on some big details (building a big box for the electronics and drive system) but I did have some good parts made for the large gear; printed in Nylon.

My two boards I ride use 73mm Shark Wheels. Really fast, good energy retention, and the board is still light. Problem is that they are too small to realistically fit my 40T gears on.

Attachments

• Wheel 1.jpg
    Wheel 1.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 1,358
  • Wheel 2.jpg
    Wheel 2.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 1,358
  • 20150711_130710.jpg
    20150711_130710.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 1,358
Quick question for any gurus: How do I reset the esc calibration on the Nunchuck so that it will arm at center and not when the stick is pulled back? Castle 85HV controller, btw. I've gone through several threads to source the answer but the things I tried didn't work yet. Should I be in auto calibration, manual calibration, heli??? This is what I found for a HK esc but haven't tried it for mine yet:

If you're calibrating the HobbyKing esc, the sequence is:
-Turn on power while holding the reset button (which is next to the power switch)
-Wait for the esc light to dim
-Release reset button and full throttle until *beep*
-Full brake until *beep beep*
-Release trigger to neutral - you should then hear *beep beep beep*
-Power off and on and you should be all calibrated

Right now, the esc will arm only if I pull back on the brake but it starts to run as soon as I return to neutral. I have the Castle Link to set parameters on my laptop, but there aren't many adjustments to throttle position unless I put it into Heli mode. Thanks in advance!

Yes, the Wiiceiver with Kama Nunchuck... sorry forgot that info.

Attachments

• Wiiceiver.jpg
    Wiiceiver.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 1,791
I think I answered my own question. The Castle 85HV is an airplane/heli style esc, so it's designed to use the whole stick movement which is not the same for car esc's. My bandaid for now is using a rubber band to hold the throttle stick back and just push forward to go. Brakes are applied by releasing the stick or slowly easing back. The good news is that I did a maiden test run last night and things are working... just need some fine tuning.

Back