RC throttle interface build tutorial........

3.jpgView attachment 11.jpgGuys,

Here is my built and I followed the instructions exactly as posted but throttle does not connect right away. I have to spin the wheel for couple of minutes, disconnect/reconnect the battery, etc in order to sink the ESC with the servo tester/magura throttle.
Also, the throttle is way to aggressive. At the slightly move the scooter jumps under me. Is there any way to make the acceleration a bit smother from the throttle or should I change the settings on the ESC? I am using the mamba XL2.

Thanks!

Does anyone know where I can get a rear sprocket in order to convert this goped to a belt drive?

Not a lot to go on here but sounds like your throttle input may be too high and the ESC may be in throttle to high protection mode.
Set ESC for softest start possible and see if that helps your start.
How did it respond before you modified the servo tester?

I removed the magura 5k throttle and placed just the servo tester and works fine it just uncomfortable to ride it. Initially the throttle worked but the speed reduced twice and everything seems to slow even more. Not sure if I can find the servo tester schematics and maybe then I could fire it what is wrong.

Did using the servo tester alone improve the start?

Yes, I put the second servo tester I have and change the ESC to medium start and it is much better. Uncomfortable because every time I go over a hole or big crack the speed goes up or down. Not very stable if you would try to jump over the side walk. There is a slow start option which I did not try yet.

I would recommend using a RBBB Arduino clone to replace your servo tester.

http://moderndevice.com/product/rbbb-kit/

The Arduino Nano might be an even better choice.. I've only recently became aware of these... They are already assembled have 2 extra analog in pins and it looks like the I2C is moved off the analog pins. Both are bread board and perfboard friendly. The hobbyking version is even cheaper than the RBBB version

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__25086__Arduino_Nano_V3_0_Microcontroller_Board.html

The arduino programming software comes with an example servo control sketch. You could easily add functions such as a cruise setting and modifying the throttle response curve.

Hillhater said:
Just for info and to help anyone starting out ..
I just tackled this ESC /servo tester throttle mod using the Turnigy servo tester .
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8296&Product_Name=Turnigy_Servo_Tester
Servodriver.jpg

PS.. initially i thought i had screwed up and got the wrong servo tester. ! but....
This actually proved simpler than the others, requiring only the insertion of one jumper (after removal of the pot) from the input "signal " pin ,to the centre pin of the potentiometer socket.
escthrottle.jpg

cimg8245.jpg

So when used with an ESC /BEC , you can simply connect the throttle via the "input" socket of the (modified) servo tester and away you go !
Nice simple , quick , clean throttle interface. ! :wink:
To recap..
1) remove the potentiometer.
2) insert a jumper lead from the input signal pin to the potentiometer socket centre pin location.
3) reassemble and plug in your throttle.

And for Spinningmagnets.. this is used on an 18.5 V system, Turnigy Kforce 100A ESC, with the 63-54 motor, and a Hall effect thumb throttle.

If i understand correctly, you take any ESC with a included BEC and it will work without giving 5v to the throttle input ??

Theoretically yes, since the BEC is providing the 5v feed to the throttle via the servo tester board.

Note:- This was a while back and HK have a habit of quietly making minor changes to some of their kit, so things may not work exactly the same now even though i see no reason why it should not still work.
However, I know some folk have struggled to get the same results.

Awesome information.
Been trying go do this for a while new.
Just purcahseda thumb throttle and the serv otester..
Will post some pics as soon as I get them set up :D

Slowrider said:
gwhy! said:
Slowrider said:
Anyone that can help me with where to connect the 5V from the bec to the modded servo tester or is this just not possible ?

just connect the output ( + , gnd ) of the BEC to the + and gnd of the servo tester, you could connect to the +,gnd of the throttle input.

Like this ?

I tried this setup but it is not working yet, what is this jumper ? Just a wire from Ebike throttle signal to ESC + ?

Thanks

Didn't work either. I made the extra jumper wire as in the picture and I have 2 esc"s that both don't work with an ebike throttle. Maybe i have a wrong version of servo tester ?

Bazaki,
You do need the jumper wire from your throttle sensor to the positive of the ESC. It won't work without it. Sometimes you need to twist the knob on the servo tester to get the esc to read a signal. Kind of like when the esc doesn't arm while using a remote, where you have to turn the throttle adjustment knob. Also check the button on the servo tester to make sure its in the right mode. IIRC there are three options and you are supposed to be on manual. I've done three or four of these, they all work fine for me and I'm not that smart. Just had to play around with them for a while. Also make sure the ESC has a BEC or you need to power the ESC. The ESC should also be plugged into the top three prongs - can't remember what the other one is for, but the bottom one is for your power supply if you to power the ESC.
Hopefully that helps. Let me know if not. I still want to see your surfboard going. :D

I did wire it like at the picture. Also with jumper wire. Still doesn't work. How can it help to twist the knob ? I did remove the pot. Or do you mean the throttle. ? I tried a lot of throttle positions. It still does work when I click the auto switch. Than it goes from zero to full throttle and back

hey, maybe stupid but do you have a magura trottle? because they have a 5k potmeter inside. I think when its another trottle it would not work.
Tell me if i am wrong.

bion

Thanks. I use an Chinese ebike thumb throttle. This is with hall sensors I believe

You need turn the pot on the servo tester as some escs don't respond until they get the correct signal to arm. If you have RC cars you sometimes have to change the throttle trim to get the esc to arm. Same idea. I don't know why that is, but it happens and the servo tester that I set up sometimes need to be readjusted. Rarely, but it has happened where I get no response from the esc and then I have to turn the pot to get it going. If you got the motor spinning on the Auto setting it should work.

I need help on how to build a throttle interface for an Electric Paramotor using an servo tester. I am new to this sort of thing and attached a picture of all the stuff I am using. The servo Tester is a Turnigy.

I just completed and tested my throttle assembly. Didnt even need to install a jumper wire. Thanks to Recumpence and everyone else who contributed to this thread. :mrgreen:

http://imgur.com/a/gNn5S

I might have lost functionality with the 48v battery meter on the throttle, but thats ok.

This thread is very confusing. Can someone clear up some things for me.

1) When a throttle is talked about, from my understanding there are two basic choices, a Hall Effect throttle and a Resistance (Pot, potentiometer) throttle of 5,000 ohms (5K ohm). Which throttle is being used in this build where it replaces the Pot on the servo tester.

2) I pulled the pot out of my servo and measured the ohms, it came out to be 10.5K ohms, not even close to a 5K ohm throttle. Is there a 10K ohm throttle out there?

3) Is there a servo tester with a 5K ohm pot in it, so a 5K ohm throttle would be compatible with this servo tester?

4) The servo tester uses a pot that has 270 degrees of travel, allowing for fine adjustment. A throttle might have a 45 degrees to 90 degrees of travel, a much coarser adjustment. Is this a problem?

5) The hall effect throttles can be very inexpensive, $15.00 and under. The pot throttles that I have seen are like $50.00, are there any inexpensive pot throttles.

deronmoped said:
This thread is very confusing. Can someone clear up some things for me.

1) When a throttle is talked about, from my understanding there are two basic choices, a Hall Effect throttle and a Resistance (Pot, potentiometer) throttle of 5,000 ohms (5K ohm). Which throttle is being used in this build where it replaces the Pot on the servo tester.

2) I pulled the pot out of my servo and measured the ohms, it came out to be 10.5K ohms, not even close to a 5K ohm throttle. Is there a 10K ohm throttle out there?

3) Is there a servo tester with a 5K ohm pot in it, so a 5K ohm throttle would be compatible with this servo tester?

4) The servo tester uses a pot that has 270 degrees of travel, allowing for fine adjustment. A throttle might have a 45 degrees to 90 degrees of travel, a much coarser adjustment. Is this a problem?

5) The hall effect throttles can be very inexpensive, $15.00 and under. The pot throttles that I have seen are like $50.00, are there any inexpensive pot throttles.

The servo tester circuit is looking for the difference in resistance between the outer pins in relation to each other iirc. So, 5kohm or 10kohm does not matter. Just use a Magura throttle. You will be fine.

Heck, I was trying to avoid spending $50.00 for a throttle. That is going to be the most expensive part on my bike. :(

Back