Studebiker's Next (last?) Bike E.........

Good to see another Bike E project. :)

I plan to try the long battery inside the frame at some point. I will probably build my own 18650 pack though as it's far more cost effective.
But first I will need to remove the rear stays (fork) from the frame and re bolt back on. I'll try and take photo's when I do so others can benefit. :)

My DD hub (Golden motor) glides surprisingly well at lower speeds. I can't notice any cogging below 30kph, and the bike can be pedaled normally quite easily up to around 20kph.
I weighed my bike for the first time the other day...it comes in at 30KG, which for the 750WH battery and reasonably powerful DD hub I think is quite good.

Cheers

Yea I have my own spot welder and still about 200 or so tesla batteries just waiting to be used.

Heck I have 18650's coming out the yazoo if I think about it. 4 of the 36v batteries from tumich i can take apart
and the 20s9p 25r battery I removed from my bike to put in the tesla cells.

I was checking that space out last night myself. It looks like it could indeed work. I like the freewheel idea of a motor along
with something smaller. I need to pedal more , but it's hard not to want everything electrified.

Yea I was not sure where to start on removing the rear fork so that info will be very valuable if you do it.

Figured out the bike I got is a 1998 looking at the different specs and colors on bikepedia.

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?year=1998&brand=BikeE&model=All+Around++AT21

i see a lotta bikeE's around here. also a lotta the Rans recumbents with the ecospeed mid drive from brent bolton.

i saw a van with some ebike store name on the side the other day in traffic. there are lots more storefronts for ebikes now.

Well, as luck would have it, I found a deal to good to pass up on another Bike E on Craigslist last week. Top of the line RX model. Previously I've not considered these as good candidates for conversion because of the short tails, and the triple gear cluster mounted under the frame. However, I didn't realize that the gear cluster is a simple bolt on affair that can be removed, this really changes things. I am really surprised at how much a difference having the front suspension improves the ride. Where as my current unsuspended Bike E rides like a dump truck over bumps, this things rolls over them like a Cadillac. I still really don't like the short tail on these, but I think I may be able to come up with something that will still allow me to have a rear rack and have more cargo space than just a backpack. Anyway, for 2 bills, I couldn't pass this one up.

11831667_10205804760650671_4301263977885173576_n.jpg

What a nice score - good for you man. I really am liking my bike-e. I did a ride yesterday on it and my youngest likes to take it out as well.

I have been looking for another good deal. Having the rear suspension has made it very comfortable and I am confident with the steering now stock. Just took some practice.

OK off to craigslist I go.

I haven't updated this in awhile. I have a Cellman battery on order and am starting to switch over some bits from my old bike to the new bike. Hopefully by the end of the month I'll have this one done and on the road. I'm pretty excited for how this bike is coming together. Also, this will be my first 48v e-bike, so........... 8)

Here's a pic of how it looks now.

12079593_10206160910434193_9119022450490579347_n.jpg

Between a move and being pretty busy with work I haven't made much progress on this,but I am hoping o be able to get some work done this week. I got th battery in from cell_man and it's pretty awesome. 52v 15ah is just about the same size and weight as aPing 36v 15ah. Now if just the price was the same!! I took some comparison photos of the two,but my internet is super sketchy ATM, so those will have to wait.

ohzee said:
Reading your threads with a new passion Studebiker.

Finally found one of these for a price I did not mind paying 225.

It's in really good shape. I don't think it was used much or they just attached the bikee bag to it as it seems un used.

I am not crazy about the steering tho or maybe not used to it yet. I love the way it feels when I get up to speed especially the position.

The tires are dry rot so looking into options now. Looked like you got some hookworms figure someone in your thread you will say how you like em.

Anyway thanks for all the info gonna get back at reading and try to decide what I wanna do with it.

That's a great Bike E. The steering really gets nice and natural after awhil e. The key seems to be to "lighten up". Lighten your grip, lighten the corrections, just kind of rest your hands on the bars, don't grip them too tightly.

After a few thousand miles on these bikes now, I absolutely love the way they handle. The wider handle bars reduce your turning radius, so I have't been tempted to try them. I judt really like it the way it is.

Outstanding deal on that bike for$225 though!! I look forw a rd to seeing what you do with it. 8)

Thanks man. You know what is weird ? I have done nothing with it other then riding it around on my own power.
It is so comfortable and easy to pedal and the steering now seems natural.

My youngest son who is 13 loves to ride it. Been looking for another and just found 2 an hour away for a nice price both bike e at's.
Just asked about them thanks for bringing it up.

Amazed at the simplicity of the frame design. Simple is good.

After reading through this thread and Cowardlyduck's thread and this one I have questions:

- Why have they persisted with such small wheels, particularly on the front? is there an advantage to this?
- Can you provide a bit of a run down between the two? particularly says one has front suspension but I am too blind to see it?
- how common are these in Aussie?
- is the 'steering column' flexy/flimsy?
- in the event of brake failure, is the best method to try and roll out of the seat?

Lurkin said:

After reading through this thread and Cowardlyduck's thread and this one I have questions:

- Why have they persisted with such small wheels, particularly on the front? is there an advantage to this?
Front wheel:
--Crank clearance without lengthening the bike or complicating the frame shape.
--height of bike; keeping it lower to the ground; perhaps for aero but more likely for being able to put your feet on the ground without getting out of the seat.
Rear wheel:
--clearing frame/cargo rack (especially with suspension) without either increasing height of bike or complicating frame shape

Probably other things I can't think of ATM.

particularly says one has front suspension but I am too blind to see it?
Usualy the suspension is a spring inside the headtube, around the steerer, rather than in the fork itself.

- in the event of brake failure, is the best method to try and roll out of the seat?
Just put your feet down flat ont eh ground Flintstone style. ;)

Lurkin said:

I'll see if I can answer some of those:

2 main reasons:
1) To allow the pedals to spin freely without the need for a super long wheel base.
2) To facilitate the sloped design...again for the shorter wheel base. If you look at many other recumbents with larger wheels, the rear is behind the seat (with the seat being lower) and the front is behind the pedals to allow the pedals to spin in front of the front wheel. When it comes to recumbents, you have to compromise somewhere to get it to work without making it ridiculously long.

- how common are these in Aussie?
Not very from what I've seen. I periodically keep my eye out for an AT model, but have yet to see any come up since I've been looking (about a year).

- is the 'steering column' flexy/flimsy?
Not as much as it looks. My steering column has survived numerous crashes, and has my solar panel attached, so it's pretty strong. I wouldn't count on it taking the whole bikes weight, but it seems to be ok with quite a lot. It does flex a small amount, but not worryingly so.

Not sure why this needs to be a consideration...you have front and rear brakes...so if one fails, use the other to stop. In my case I have 3 brakes if you also count my DD hub regen braking which is my primary means of slowing.
I've come off my BikeE a few times and I can say there is not really any preferable way to bail....it sucks anyway you put it. Best bet is to just try and stay on it and stop really.

Sorry for hijacking your thread Studebiker.

Cheers

Not hijacking at all. It's good to share this info.

The front suspension on the RX model is a little hard to see, but it is there. It used a device called an Englund air cartridge that was used in early suspension forks. Whereas forks would use two of them, the Bike E only uses one, placed in the headset and above the fork. Pretty clever design, but the aircarts are pretty scarce these days, but they can be rebuilt.

Spent the afternoon fishing wires down the frame and making wire extensions. Never one of my favorite things to do, but it's necessary I suppose. Can't wait to ride this thing!! This is the point where I usually start rushing things and taking shortcuts. I'm trying hard not to do that this time, so I force myself to quit working to hopefully avoid making some stupid mistake. Still hoping to have it rideable this week, but we'll see.

Looks great. Lovin the snowy scenery also. :)

How do you find the bike handles with the weight of the battery so high and far back?
I only ask because I've found the further rearwards and high I place weight on my CT model it really starts to make it handle badly.

You should see if you can mount that controller inside the rear of the frame. My 6Fet fits perfectly and it measures 35mm wide if that helps.

Cheers

I'm going to be rebuilding my Bike E fairly shortly, I have 14s4p 25r cells ordered to make an in the frame tube pack for it, other than the hub it should be nearly totally stealthy. A new paint job and some touching up on other cosmetics and it'll be nice to ride it again.

Cowardlyduck said:
Looks great. Lovin the snowy scenery also. :)

How do you find the bike handles with the weight of the battery so high and far back?
I only ask because I've found the further rearwards and high I place weight on my CT model it really starts to make it handle badly.

You should see if you can mount that controller inside the rear of the frame. My 6Fet fits perfectly and it measures 35mm wide if that helps.

Cheers

The weight of the battery and it's position really is only a problem when the bike is parked. The kickstand isn't long enough so it's pretty tippy when parked.

This is a 12 fet controller and definitely won't fit in the frame.

I really like that look.

Over Christmas I found a guy west of me in Dayton selling 2 bike e's for 125 each. He thought he had 2 AT's , but turns out he had 1 AT 1 CT.

I grabbed them both anyway. Both had the rear bags , mirrors, etc.. in good shape just have dry rot tires for sitting so long.

So now I have 2 at's and 1 ct. I have 2 boys and they both enjoyed riding mine so it works out.

Something like the mac in the rear so I could peddle at will but have the option is very tempting.

It is now the most comfortable bike I have to just ride around in. Now I just need some nice weather.

Thanks for the update been waiting to see some. Ill snap a pic when I start cleaning them up.

Hi Studebiker,
Your front tire looks quite large! What size did you use?
Thank you,
Frank

Fjp said:
Hi Studebiker,
Your front tire looks quite large! What size did you use?
Thank you,
Frank

My guess: maxxis 16 x 2.0 tire. A real rarity though.

The largest tire i was able to fit was a fitbikeco 16 x 2.125. It was an extremely tight fit though!!

Back