E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

OK that looks like a standard sized "205" motor. Axle looks like 14mm too rather than the quoted 16mm...
I must have been thinking of something else.
In which case, yeah, it'll be very comparable to a H35.
A 35mm 273 motor would haul 8)
QS makes a 50mm version but it weighs a comical 22kg!

9kg for a H40 sounds a little heavy. I'm pretty sure they're closer to 8kg. I suspect that 9kg figure may be the laced wheel.

You could make it even lighter with a 28mm or even 20mm stator on it.
You can see where I am going with this...

Hyena said:
There's less than 1kg difference between the H40 and the H35 (ballpark around 800g from memory)
OK I just checked my emails from back in 2011 and found the specs quoted direct from crystalyte. My memory often fails me but on this occasion it was spot on:

Crystaryte Kenny said:
H35 with 7.4kg and H40 with 8.2kg

So yeah, the H40 is 800g heavier than the H35. The leaf is 1kg on the dot lighter than the H40 but only 200g lighter than its direct crystalyte equivalent (H35)

All that said, when you're already getting a H40 baking hot and having to fill it full of fans to get by, stepping down to a smaller motor again seems counter intuitive... (see, that's me being diplomatic and not saying it's a dumb move :p )
The crown would have been a good choice and I've provided a good demonstration of their superiority over the H40. Assuming the cost is an issue I would have thought the next automatic choice would have been the MXUS 3000. Only marginally more weight but well worth it for the extra width and heat sucking alloy stator

That is sick Villian, black on black with 19x1.4 black rims and SR241s front and rear. Just plain awesome!!!!!

Hyena said:
OK that looks like a standard sized "205" motor. Axle looks like 14mm too rather than the quoted 16mm...
Correct that image is 14mm. As stated I ordered a custom axle at 16mm diameter and 250mm total width. I also ordered with 165mm shoulders to fit the Stealth.

Hyena said:
My memory often fails me but on this occasion it was spot on:
Crystaryte Kenny said:
H35 with 7.4kg and H40 with 8.2kg
So yeah, the H40 is 800g heavier than the H35. The leaf is 1kg on the dot lighter than the H40 but only 200g lighter than its direct crystalyte equivalent (H35)All that said, when you're already getting a H40 baking hot and having to fill it full of fans to get by, stepping down to a smaller motor again seems counter intuitive... (see, that's me being diplomatic and not saying it's a dumb move :p ) The crown would have been a good choice and I've provided a good demonstration of their superiority over the H40. Assuming the cost is an issue I would have thought the next automatic choice would have been the MXUS 3000. Only marginally more weight but well worth it for the extra width and heat sucking alloy stator
Ok, well it might not be much lighter, but at least it's more efficient. I was seriously considering the MXUS, but the axle shoulder width wasn't a drop in fit, and as you mentioned more weight. I sometimes have to lift my Fighter over gates/fences so the weight does make a difference.
Also my peak power will ultimately be limited the same at 3-4KW anyway due to my battery and controller, so what's the point in getting a motor that CAN take more power when I will never use it and I have the heat issues sorted.

Noone ever said I was using the fan cooling just to get by...one of the reasons I'm moving to the Leaf is because so far I COULD NOT get the HS40 motors to over heat (120C+) with the fan cooling mods I did. Highest I've ever seen on my latest setup was 90C and it cools off in no time.
Also, while I do like smashing up a cliff face WOT every now and then, the majority of riding I enjoy is long range exploring. A slightly lighter motor and 10% increase on efficiency is sure to help in that department. :D
It's not all about who's got the bigger more powerful....hub motor...you know. :p

Cheers

Just thinking laterally for a minute then, what about mounting some of your fans in the Clyte 20mm saw motor for some real weight savings?
http://www.ebikes.ca/shop/ebike-parts/motors/msaw20f16.html

You know although your having a joke, it could actually work.
It's been stated many times before, the number one reason for bigger, wider, heavier hub motor's for more power is to enable them to do the work without generating excess heat. Just look at Emmet's example on this thread after he put oil in his HS40.
And the countless people who vent their hub motors. I'm just taking it to the next logical step.

If you could pump liquid nitrogen through a 250W hub motor, I'm sure you could squeeze 2-3KW+ out of it no worries. Just look at what's possible on CPU's overclocked on LN2.

It's kind of like the difference between chucking a massive turbo and tune on a 2 Litre 4 banger to get the same power output as a big block V8.
I think in the world of E-Bike hub motors, many are yet to realise the potential of lower power motors with a proper cooling offset.

Cheers

Yep. I was taking the micky.
As a holder of an engineering degree I have to confess that the parameters of AC motors are well known. It's ok to play empirically with stator width outside of the machine's designed operating characteristics, but don't expect to discover something that people haven't already considered here by design, up front.
And for the most, discounted for valid reasons.

Torque is directly proportional to stator width, all other things unchanged.

Reducing unsprung mass is a worthy effort. And as a rider I am sprung. But I recently gained 13kg, donned 1.3kg steel shoes, and loaded up on lipo.
The hub isn't the problem.

Crystalyte also make a mini crown that has a 30mm cast alloy stator, I reckon that'd be a pretty sweet all rounder for less mad pursuits.
Failing that, this could be an option for you CD, this should get you an hours ride and keep a little bafang cool :lol:

F9XVZBQOVQEP27QJTU.LARGE.jpg

Anyway, I feel this vid is appropriate on a number of levels :p

[youtube]9-k5J4RxQdE[/youtube]

Cowardlyduck said:
If you could pump liquid nitrogen through a 250W hub motor, I'm sure you could squeeze 2-3KW+ out of it no worries. Just look at what's possible on CPU's overclocked on LN2.

Not necessarily. It depends at what point the motor saturates. Cooling buys you time but it doesn't change the max torque ( and therefore mechanical power) a motor can produce.

This point was nicely hilighted with LFP's Flaming Dick Dyno Run
20kW in, 10kW out
40kW in, 10kW out

Cowardlyduck said:
Ouch Jay, Ouch:
Phwoar, tore his balls off :shock: Brutal. You're getting off light my friend :lol:

As voicecoils very nicely pointed out via Lukes great ball's of fire(tm) it's not just about keeping it cool and shoving in unlimited power.
Keeping a motor cool will allow you to run it out side it's efficiency zone for longer, giving that extra torque that us side cover drilling hotrodders crave but it's the well documented story of diminishing returns. The H40 is actually one of the best motors around in terms of power:weight. The extra width gives it torque and the stamped stator keeps the weight down. I remember when I first started using the H40s how much extra poke they had when using the same controller settings. It's not night and day but for the small weight increase it's worth the upgrade over the 35mm stator.
Anyway, the earlier fighters used the H35 briefly so really, you're just being retro. If you want to be really hipster get yourself a nice little 408 :p
If they weren't that much noisier I'd be looking into trying to make the larger geared motors last with an oil bath or some other sort of black magic. At 4kw they're a total hoot but they chew up gears and spit out clutches in short order. When I first tested one I remember thinking "holy crap, these geared motors at 2kw are awesome! Almost the same torque as the H40 at 5kw but half the weight and power consumption". Until it exploded and I realised the controller was a new model with an extra shunt so programmed for 60A not 30A :lol:
It's on my rainy day list to fit one with metal gears, weld the clutch and fill it with oil and see just what sort of sustained power it could take. Now that I've been using sine wave controllers though I'm not sure I could go back to the whine of a geared motor...

LOL PRW. there is some relevance there, with the duck trying to lead the hyena up the garden path. This thread is missing chicks though.
Fixed :p

stealthchicks.jpg

Well, we went from talking about Ebikes to Craft Beer to Ebikes to Babes all in the last 2 pages, if you ask me, that makes this thread the coolest one on ES :mrgreen:

I really wish you guy's would stop bickering among yourselves. Nitrogen cooling, or bigger motors, or more voltage isn't going to help. There can only be one bike that's cooler than all the rest. One bike that all the other bikes look up at. Modesty prevents me from telling you what bike that is, but lets face facts here, it's my bike. :roll:

Rix said:
Well, we went from talking about Ebikes to Craft Beer to Ebikes to Babes all in the last 2 pages, if you ask me, that makes this thread the coolest one on ES :mrgreen:

So, I guess I may post this picture here :D
This is a 28K€ of electric staff picture.
The surf board is a Lampuga Boost full carbon electric surf board powered with a jet unit worth of 14K€
The surf board is not mine, I'm currently helping a friend of mine to promote this new luxury water toy her in Italy. I'm a old wind surfer but I have to tell that this new kind of electric powered surf is very funny to ride. :mrgreen:

20150804_192354_1.jpg

bigbore said:
Rix said:

So, I guess I may post this picture here :D
This is a 28K€ of electric staff picture.
The surf board is a Lampuga Boost full carbon electric surf board powered with a jet unit worth of 14K€
The surf board is not mine, I'm currently helping a friend of mine to promote this new luxury water toy her in Italy. I'm a old wind surfer but I have to tell that this new kind of electric powered surf is very funny to ride. :mrgreen:

20150804_192354_1.jpg

Windsurfer, very awesome, have you been to Isola Gabianni? I lived a few miles away from Isola Gabianni for 6 years. Loved it during the summer. Tried windsurfing. Discovered I sucked at that worse than observed trials. That is a super awesome electric surf board. How fast does it go? You Bomber looks right at home next to it.

Rix said:
Windsurfer, very awesome, have you been to Isola Gabianni? I lived a few miles away from Isola Gabianni for 6 years. Loved it during the summer. Tried windsurfing. Discovered I sucked at that worse than observed trials. That is a super awesome electric surf board. How fast does it go? You Bomber looks right at home next to it.

Sure I've been to Isola dei Gabbiani in Sardegna! It's one of the best Italian spot for windsurfers. But now I have to ask you, wy on the earth did you left that wonderful place where you lived for 6 years :?: I was on holiday in Sardinia many times and every time when I had to go home I took an incredible sadness.
The Lampuga sufboard they say it reaches 50Km/h but for the moment we need to wait for mirror sea water to try that claimed top speed. These days the water is always rough so the board is constantly bouncing.

PS: next time you came back here in Italy I will teach you to windsurf :D

Baaahaha. What a fitting group of videos last page, we should all change our user names to types of wild life and animal so we can convey messages via this way.

Ha. Don't know how it would go for cred at Bells or Cape Solander. Might keep the sharks away though.

Back