GCinDC's new DH COMP.....project aborted

After much ado about nothing....I have throw in the towel.

The 100mm bottom bracket is a bitch with the lower suspension mount creating clearance problems.....& the stupid 2-3/8" down tube is a bitch to clear & get the chain lines 1/2 respectable.....I officially hate this bike, & can't find motivation to attack it again.

& since I refuse to deliver a hulking,low hanging compromise of drive technology on a customers bike. Or completly screw it up with a weld job & permenent hangers. Its time to send it home for a big ass hubby or someone elses drive system.

Ive submitted my humble appologies to Greg for stringing this out so long.

Quitter out.
( in my defence, G did jinx the project, sending unsolicited funds for the build....garentee fail every time :p )

As always Thud, your ideas are ahead of the curve and no exception here.

I drew plenty of inspiration for my own musings and enjoyed every post.

Appreciate the sharing of it :mrgreen:

D

hahaha I was only thinking the other day that the frame is ridiculous.....I cannot get a good chain line no matter what I do with it. They are destined to be Hub bitches and that is that! I am returning to my already cut and f***** stinky in an attempt to use my neugart + 80100. Im glad I am not the only one that has failed on this frame.

was a noble effort. thanks, todd. i should have sent you the scott when you first offered, and not insisted on modding this beast instead...

i've got two dh comps at home, one too many at this point, so this thing is up for grabs. any takers? i'll list it in the for sale, or on ebay, and ask todd to ship it from there instead of sending it to me needlessly first.

so $750 (what i paid) shipped w/in the US anyone? PM me.

ps. i have a brand new set of dropout adapters (kiwi's last set) that i can sell also.

g

Sorry to see this won't see the light of day, but totally understandable.
Did you ever finish off the reduction thud ? You could still fit it up to another more accommodating bike right ?

I have a DH comp at home too - wacky bloody things they are! I was going to try and fit a mid drive but now I'll be robbing all the parts to bolt onto a new flux build with the tried and true big hub on the back

After all that waiting and nothing. :cry:

Couldn't you get another frame that is more suitable for this kind of build after selling the DH Comp?

Hello GC

Sorry for your projet aborted.

I see you sold a kiwi dropout, I am interested in, if you are ok to ship in france.

Kind regards
Gilles

what a long, strange trip it's been...

i've had a smile on my face all day tracking the delivery and receiving this:
g3_0un9yJLh1oQdCHVA6sqhyPND-Jz2RN96dYlV6LRf9Lp-mveeUxY8uzwN3TJsbh36rfoN1eYppuGbQXGcZusP8TZy9DhYCgPDMQVrBJh1ZPpyFMI_hlMdpr_TfnEIoCvFmegXuuSujKMZywR7SaJdZWU5e5XDkstMiAI8NQyWgCu729tKMWMIiiUIXGdhK6htjokuM05-ewOio9_D0ONitsyuVf89I0H5ifhzVGrbSmBovBwrer_7_hKdZfVXOoGdGgJV1l7S1Cv5q8s2CgqcXGMh2S59zyS6ax4vE0gM2qklgNHhMqVD0RC4MBiD1CPPIUHq8fblnJUaNoC7yAGdxP46YkkwLkUrPZSNbohFbRx59UhYJPfUK1dtZFaC_1ubFMHWjhnGHffLHe5ZkKzzv2jQPMFNmhT2IKnqV_8O7pnRgrxlZU9bsqlEhrdgR7JFyV7lYE89kCVTwsKxjbljheAR9K-uD0Y6--vva0DnxZwXRZhMjdHaRd-DwFLDZWWgMUgBXaK2hw7ZOJ4exJ0neLxkUoU8P3nRWKxSmN9tg=w1014-h571-no

now that's how to pack a bike!
xhVO7OMewXNzzPxqPD3STxGcs-upeI-Qt3dIJ55yfLzP_pdBzCOtFFel292m0JC3_p5VmJaHE7wRJvVZ_J7r6S_XCJYEgCYB64yhQGFeXW_gEMwuNF_gpqHcggTTrx1WJGJXMoXXi-kqRC7NF9PQniCqE8A_bSuFyeTJDZcMjwqIQ4ZtHvwuHSB0CYEzUPQRntUNTOUDBi_84qtZEQYe1k_yQkwXFHxURpBicRA41pqSxc_E-nVlosDq-YFKeSWGeZ-1UCzsmYlZ_K5b-PRwPzU9XKssnCxiA5Vdds-NiEuqyxy_6z53PL0NVYcepMTrw_94KAKSaw4pV9_EueZen6ZmYZ2ZdoRV7zqhd8tGkv99fzRt0um6f22GkEu_A7MeYUtPSTce_OuhSK3RLDwgKLrWV-YG4_fLK-2scqAjZz64Ve-ln3fsgEWAitiEyu22r8vSDEl4-UfUNa448V-pbMKBKEiS9Pabkc_RSuiKRDoAd4OazWhKaqDKLBC9WUVrpjUGqI4riRUBPpibpEPaSzDFvMdwUA0SvqZJRno9Qmcy=w1014-h571-no

it may be just another dh comp, but it feels like a new toy.

i haven't yet figured out how to explain the bike to the wife, so for the moment, i just need it to blend in to the surroundings until i can sort out the story. :mrgreen:
ag6Itc9-lyi50tAk-gEbjBUUKzzmE6FBmQd7Vf9QMwCNKaHdJMzHh1YAtIO0FNvUOYbyykjNCwfwL3hefQeUyfTzIQn5RHav4e9xer-wBEqLbeVXFlAOEQN2e_UkWGz97wtZ6xrXUntXE5e9CNaT2lCw5_fndEgTqv6APynNlzvLWPplctyMJDn_IBMuxE2lcW1QU1Ibgc4NvUImylKi9bnfQWrYruACODg7uG-EN0OXkL_u6XO4EUC2JF1omTMHcDJ-SBg0hWOuhVZdTFk9ujYn59FlWlUMiz32sD8I-MTwf-QMHIt_ff33upmuIs4JkNU4o_FdSzoqAQTXuvXowum7eJtFStzesrHn123O10nokCJGIuf6hiCJbX6hwVzuKFQJBIkLfJFU2E04HoBEbdEj20q1TKzmBSvnFvXUnzdykWJpQlIcdZ48_UtaMOHGLruoLkuVfRRXluSuy7_OhArVAeqNmAztXaXBHzBxocl7fh-RSvYvvyzjB_Jyx4QKxv0VCVDTJXS5bUZIgYwi-4OBt7JOf-JC0loClwpqw28x=w485-h862-no

horrible pic, but hanging from front to back are:
- the dark blue zappy frictiion drive (good for the au pair we used to have, now forlorn and disheveled)
- my wife's old grey bionx bike, severely beaten after she rode it for like 5 years, well past service life
- the stromer, with fixed up motor, just needing some internal wiring and a throttle
- the new white dh comp, still needing reassembly

anyway, project officially reborn, certainly to be another hub motor job.

thanks, todd for giving it a go, but no worries about it not working out!

Greg! I'm dyin to see what this is but the pics done come through for me. I can't wait to see see what you do with it. Everyone is baggin on the DH comp frame all of a sudden. It is challenging at times, I know but I personally have loved it. Little stalled with "My big fat Giant" project since my shoulder surgery but will be back at it soon. Really all I need to do is get the battery box finished and it will just be assembly from there. My welder said he spoke to you a while back, are going to get the swing arm done? Don't forget, there are two options now: wide and super-wide. If I get my battery box done before you get there it will be available to you too (much bigger battery capacity with largely the same profile). Don't know what the final cost will be but I'm hoping it will be reasonable.

yo obi,

i was about to ship two triangle to rob but i could not separate the snap rings over the big bearing! super lame, i know, but i got really frustrated without the proper tool, so now maybe i'll buy one. any suggestions? i'd rather not pay $35, but there are some nasty reviews on the cheap ones at amazon. maybe this one would do the trick?

what's this batt box you're talking about? link?

Those CAN be a pain-in-the-ass. Here is what I have learned; the biggest problem with snap ring pliers is that the tips are never the right size. The closer to the hole size for the snap ring the better. So something with interchangeable tips is best. Second, the tips get used up and need to be ground down/replaced from time to time. Just file them down to get nice square edges. Third, use a second tool like a micro screwdriver to pry up on the arm of the snap ring near the tips of the pliars. Half the time the problem is that you get the thing loosened enough to wiggle out but trying to lift it out of the hole (ala Operation style) causes you to either bump the edge or move your tenuous grip on the pliars and they snap off the pins. By prying (ever so gently) you can get one or two of the ring arms lifted off the seat. That way the thing is part way out but stable enough to reset the pliars deeper in the holes. Plus, when you go for the remove you are not trying to lift straight up but rather kind of a sideways direction that does not want to pull the whole thing off the tips of the pliars. Half the time I have better luck with a pair of needle nose pliars but I have lots of them so can pick and choose the right size...or even grind down the tips of a sacrificial pair. Don't get me wrong, I have had the same woes but eventually got em. I have recently bought a professional mechanics kit of snap ring pliars at a garage sale ($1.00, gloat) but have yet to get to use it. If you really get stuck you could just send the frames to me and I'll get em apart with this fancy kit and then hand deliver the swing arms to Rob. Hell, for that matter, I could also get you frames stripped from my cheap guy here. Shipping would be the same here as Reno. My family lives in Reno and we go there a lot. Let me know

This it what i have done with a DH Comp frame, it was not easy but i did manage to get a straight chain line and a working 3 speed with 1/8th chain.

I WAS wondering. I don't care what anyone says, despite it peculiarities the Giant DH frame just looks awesome. Incidentally GC my long wait for the redesigned battery box is almost over. Should have it this week and hope to have the "big fat Giant" completed before the SF Maker Faire. The new battery box should be directly orderable from MSM after we get it done. Don't know what the cost would be yet but I'll keep you posted. Is your frame triangle modified or did you just make it fit?

Sorry, MSM is the name of my nephew's CNC sheet metal shop who did the Solidworks drawings of the new design. As for the modified triangle question, I mis-spoke I meant swing arm. I was wondering if you had yours widened by Rob in Reno. In the photo the paint looks disturbed where the welds would be. I'll check the other build. Here are a couple pics of the battery box in solidworks:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
It shows the swingarm movement and clearance. He is buttoning up a few minor details and then will send it out to the production floor for fabrication this week hopefully. Notice that the box extends down to the bottom of the down tube. It is wide enough there for a battery to sit alongside the down tube increasing the volume considerably on that long lower edge.

Back