5" or 6" pneumatic wheels.

I've used the Skike 6'' wheels in a Onda-Setup and love the wheels. Unfortunately they do not fit the standard trucks because theres not enough room left to put the nut on. I was thinking of shortening the hanger by 5mm on each side. Some guy at Silverfish already did this: https://www.silverfishlongboarding.com/forum/longboard-and-skateboarding-trucks-bushings/59940-how-cut-down-randal.html

Does look like a lot of work though.

P1250019.jpg

You can also use SurfRodz Classic RKP and or SurfRodz Hex TKP with adjustable hangers. The trucks are a bit more expensive about $160-$200.

There are also other trucks available as well with adjustable hangers. I should have a motor mount for these soon.

Yeah these are expensive. I'll try the following: the Skike wheels align perfectly with the end of the axle. So I just need 4-5mm to put on the nut. I will replace the standard bearings, which are 7mm wide, with 4mm bearings. That should give me 6mm. We'll see whether the smaller bearings can take the load, but I'm pretty sure they will.

Just mill out the bearing seats on the skike wheels and call it a day! That way you won't affect your hanger width. To do this without a mill I think you could make a simple mill using an 8mm drill bit and a 22mm drill stop. Put rough grade sand paper on the side of the drill stop. Leave one bearing in the skike wheel, thread the drill bit and stop thru the side of the wheel with no bearing and mill down the inside 2 or 3mm. Then flip the wheel over and do the same thing. EASY :p

Or Send me some $$$ and we can do a run of my 6" wheels. They were expensive, but they're better.

Tombombadil1988 said:
Thanks for the advice an the offer! I'll see how it goes with the new bearings first. They were really cheap.

Pics!!! Oh, and make sure you use loc-tite just in case the nyloc nuts don't have enough grip on your axles.

That went well! Because the bearings I used are smaller (16mm height) I had to use spacers that have an outer diameter of 22mm and an inner diameter of 16mm. Got these 3D printed at low cost.

AS4CSeZl.jpg

fJTDLGwl.jpg

tSBXO8Hl.jpg

Much bigger problem now: wheel-bite. I guess I will have to extend the cutaway and go dropthrough.

I mounted mine drop through and I sometimes get wheel bite on my foot none really on the board though.
8s pneumatic 2.jpg

beetbocks said:
I have tried fitting standard Skike Kids wheels (125mm diameter)with a drive pulley and it worked perfectly but the hubs are too long to fit on a standard skate truck- the axle is not long enough ( or the wheel hub is too long) and the nut wont go on..

Hey beetbocks,

I just bought some skike 5" wheels and am now thinking about how to mount them on my caliber trucks.
The obvious option is to use a lathe and remove 1cm of the rim - just like you did it.
However I was wondering if you ever thought about using a sleeve nut and different bearings.
I found M8 sleeve nuts with an outer diameter of apparently 10mm plus suitable bearings with 10x22x7 dimensions.
Would love your oppinion if it is indeed worth a shot.

well i did think about simply making a axle adapter ...just extend the axle length and maybe increase to 9.5mm or 10mm diameter and change bearings, or simply keep at 8mm and this would at least address the issue of wheel clearance on the 5" wheel- save you cutting half your deck away.. :)- main issue there is locking the axle on...one reason i didn't do it..
...the only reason i machined the wheel was so it was truly universal..and fitted any skate truck and bearings..

beetbocks said:
well i did think about simply making a axle adapter

Wow nice work. However in my case I don't have the tools (or time or money) to actually get something like your axle adapter made.
The sleeve nut thing would have been an easy solution but I am unsure about the tolerances for the bearings and nut so removing a 1cm from the rim is probably even easier.

If anybody is interested and wants to try it for science here are the links to the bearings and sleeve nut I found:
10x22x7 bearings: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161859900039
M8 sleeve nut: http://www.ebay.de/itm/20-Hulsenmuttern-M8-verzinkt-Flachkopf-Innensechskant-geschlos-/161705823551?hash=item25a66b0d3f:g:TQsAAOSwt6ZWUjzp

I have had Surfrodz tkp Truck motor mounts available for awhile now. I know Torque suggested these trucks before. You guys should listen! They are great trucks and well worth the money.

daverobson08 said:
DON'T BUY THESE:

DON'T BUY THESE, THEY WILL FALL APART

What happened to them? Can't seem to find a post explaining how they failed

Maxid said:
daverobson08 said:
DON'T BUY THESE:

Which wheels are you talking about Maxid?

psychotiller said:
Maxid said:
daverobson08 said:
DON'T BUY THESE:

He's talking about the ''wheelbarrow'' ones seen on the 2nd page of this topic..

I believe the ''center part'' of the hub broke off.. as the walls were quite thin.. I think it was possible to see this on a video..

--

Tamatoa said:
Hi,

I am just starting to put together the parts for an electric skateboard and I would like to try to use some pneumatics on my first board. I bought this set of wheels for RMB254, around and they fit the trucks I had from enertion, except that the axles are too short, or the wheels are to thick.

I might try to sand the side of the wheel to make it a little thinner but first could anyone suggest a pulley that would be a good fit for this kind of wheel.

Thanks,

Tamatoa

Too bad Tomatoa havent updated us on how it went! His setup / wheels did look really badass! Also.. perhaps he could help us out by getting some more wheels like that through TaoBao

psychotiller said:

Yeah second page - some wheels from ebay. They are still listed and the "reviews" of buyers are all positive. So I was wondering what happened in this case that he wants people to not try them themselves. They also look very similar to the ones we were talking about on the builders forum.

Back