Adding hall sensors to 63mm motor and vesc testing

silviasol said:
vedder said:
silviasol said:
Finally got another vesc ready so I could have a spare just in case when doing a long range test with sensored only. Even with 6s I am getting drv8302 errors. Seems to happen after the motor heats up a bit. Happened about 5 times on a 25 mile trip. No problems giving it full throttle at a stand still but seems to be just random giving the error, a few times after stopping then going and a few times getting to top speed. I am going to ditch the usb connector and solder it directly to the wiring and see if that helps.

Are you using sensored mode only and not hybrid?

Yes. I wanted to see how much more quiet it was then sensorless or hybrid. Tonight I am going to try hybrid mode.

There should be no difference in how quiet it is. Sensored is not nearly as good for high speed since there are filters on the hall sensor port that introduce delay and I haven't implemented anything to compensate for that. The higher the speed the more the timing will be delayed, which is the opposite of what the motor needs (timing should be advanced at high speed, not delayed). Hybrid should work much better in all aspects than sensored only.

vedder said:
There should be no difference in how quiet it is. Sensored is not nearly as good for high speed since there are filters on the hall sensor port that introduce delay and I haven't implemented anything to compensate for that. The higher the speed the more the timing will be delayed, which is the opposite of what the motor needs (timing should be advanced at high speed, not delayed). Hybrid should work much better in all aspects than sensored only.

I took a shorter 5 mile trip last night with hybrid and there was no errors. I will just use hybrid. Going to use 10s on my next ride, hopefully it will not be too much voltage for 270kv. Looking forward to the hexagonal firmware upgraded. Will that replace sensored hybrid all together or will it still use sensors for hybrid?

I'm adding a sensored motor to the VESC and I have to solder a new connector to the sensor wires (alien 5060/270kv motor).

1. I'm trying to figure out the correct wires on the hall connector of the VESC. I know Benjamin's layout of the pins but I'm unsure which one should be pin 1: if I'm looking at the board from the top and the motor wires facing right - pin 1 (5V) must be the bottom one?

2. Also trying to figure out the H1 to H3 color coding of the wires (blue, green, yellow), are there any standards, like:
P1: Red = 5V
P2: White = temp
P3: Blue = H1 (?)
P4: Green = H2 (?)
P5: Yellow = H3 (?)
P5: Black = GND

Any ideas?

Pin 1 which is the positive pin is the one at the corner of the board. The temp is the next pin which should be left open, then hall 1,2 and 3 pins then negative. Just make sure the negative and positive are correct, not sure what would happen if they were not correct. It doesn't matter which hall wire you have in which pin when you test it you adjust settings. Just make sure to use the hall settings from when the motor spins in the direction that you want it to. If not flip two wires so it goes the opposite direction and use those settings.

Thanks for your help, I was completely wrong with my assumption for the pin layout - will test it now.

It seems to be a general problem with the Chinese sensored motors that those sensor wires don't have a standard color coding and no documentation is available. I'm having now 36 possibilities to test which color means what. :wink:

I have a multimeter, will try that too. The colors are red, white, green, yellow, black and blue. I think there should be no damage since its low current, but I'm not sure.

It's working sensorless though (after detection).

Thank you silviasol, got it now - it's completely non-standard:

yellow positive
red negative
green temperature
blue white and black the phases

It's not a very big difference in sensored/hybrid mode versus unsensored in the flat, but might be an advantage on hills (which I have to test yet, not enough steep hills around here). :)

Back