Bafang BBSHD, 1000W, 68mm-120mm BB

Just got back from Eurobike and had some words with Bafang regarding service, new products and improvements which can be made the the existing products.

New 1000w nominal motors incoming in 68mm, 100mm and 120mm. 12 FET controllers I believe. Its definitely a shame for Doug & Cali ebike and other dealers who are doing the 100mm conversions. The motor was a fair bit chunkier than the existing designs and also heavier. New displays also.

P_20150827_121734.jpg

eMax said:
Just got back from Eurobike and had some words with Bafang regarding service, new products and improvements which can be made the the existing products.

New 1000w nominal motors incoming in 68mm, 100mm and 120mm. 12 FET controllers I believe. Its definitely a shame for Doug & Cali ebike and other dealers who are doing the 100mm conversions. The motor was a fair bit chunkier than the existing designs and also heavier. New displays also.

Did they give any clue when the new motor would be available?

eMax said:
Its definitely a shame for Doug & Cali ebike and other dealers who are doing the 100mm conversions. The motor was a fair bit chunkier than the existing designs and also heavier. New displays also.

I'll bet he knew his design would be copied. After all, It was all open source, and freely sold. It's the copy cats that will feel the burn with lower prices. Doug remains the same uber reliable shop and online source for parts, support, and motors with warrantees in the USA. Paul at EM3ev mentioned his relationship with Cali eBikes. A master machinist engineer coupled with the arguably most influential BBS0x dealer. Cali eBikes and EM3ev is one heck of a force.

Cell_Man wrote, "Also watch this space for the new 100mm conversion we'll be offering in the next 2 or 3 weeks (EM3ev and Calififornia Ebike collaboration), with other lengths to follow. We're working with Doug to make a cheaper conversion kit, that is also much easier to modify an existing kit."

Winning combination!

http://www.fietsunie.nl/webshop/ombouwsets-/ombouwset-fatbike/detail/287/middenmotor-bafang-voor-fatbike-250watt-en-500watt.html
700 euro for 500w whoops

Ade said:
1boris said:
Anybody knows more about this bafang bbs motor.it says 160nm!

http://www.szbaf.com/en/components/component/motor/mm-g01350dv.html

Wow, finally, a stock 100mm+ BBS and not only that, but more powerful too - and are those funky cooling fins I see....

So, extrapolating from what I see on the motors page, this is a replacement for the BBS02 750W; http://www.szbaf.com/en/components/motor.html
It says 130-150rpm, which is 20rpm up from the 500W version. Will need in mini tiny chain ring to make it work optimal and will be difficult to peddle along?

Happy to see that Bafang have produced a mid-drive unit for a fat bike with a 120 mm BB - http://electric-fatbike.com/2015/09/01/bafang-finally-releases-a-1000w-mid-drive-bbs02ish-that-fits-a-68-120mm-bb-with-giant-fins/

I've been looking into getting an e-kit for my fatty most of this year and the closest I got was with the Bafang 190 mm rear hub motor http://fatbike-motor.com/ but I really wanted the mid-drive to fit my 120 mm BB. Just gotta wait til they release it now.

Something that has come up before and I haven't found the answer to, is when they say 36v - 48v. Does it mean that it will run from a 36v battery?

On here http://www.szbaf.com/en/components/component/motor/mm-g01350dv.html they say 'Nominal Voltage: 36/48v, Rated Power: 750-1000w. Does this mean a 36v battery will provide power up to 750w and a 48v battery will be needed to give power over 750w-1000w?

Thanks

It will be 2 different motors,same as the current 36v and 48v models

There has been (and will continue to be) a wide variety of power levels programmed into the different kits inside the controllers. For instance, the power limit across "most" European Union nations is 250W, but...I believe Switzerland has a 500W power limit. Most of the USA has a 750W power limit, but I have been told that the state of Oregon has a 1000W power limit.

Watts are "volts times amps". 500W can be easily achieved with both 36V and 48V by varying the maximum amps that the controller is allowed to use.

tomjasz said:
eMax said:
Its definitely a shame for Doug & Cali ebike and other dealers who are doing the 100mm conversions. The motor was a fair bit chunkier than the existing designs and also heavier. New displays also.

I'll bet he knew his design would be copied. After all, It was all open source, and freely sold. It's the copy cats that will feel the burn with lower prices. Doug remains the same uber reliable shop and online source for parts, support, and motors with warrantees in the USA. Paul at EM3ev mentioned his relationship with Cali eBikes. A master machinist engineer coupled with the arguably most influential BBS0x dealer. Cali eBikes and EM3ev is one heck of a force.

Cell_Man wrote, "Also watch this space for the new 100mm conversion we'll be offering in the next 2 or 3 weeks (EM3ev and Calififornia Ebike collaboration), with other lengths to follow. We're working with Doug to make a cheaper conversion kit, that is also much easier to modify an existing kit."

Winning combination!

Lectric Cycles will be releasing information at Interbike about our newest e-RAD drive units that will be available in the coming months. We are already testing them and working out the kinks before they go into full production. The new HD motors will be in addition to the drive units we have that are already compatible with BB sized 68-110mm including the various Press Fit standards. With over 50 dealers in the USA, and various manufacturer partners, there will be a lot of the e-RAD HD Drive units on the road very soon.

e-RAD 1000w HD 1.jpge-RAD 1000w HD.jpg

What is the motor radius in the BBS02 ?

And what is the KV of the motor ?

And also what is the internal gear reduction ratio?

I am just wondering what the Magnet speed mm per second is at the cranks and how it compare to other kits like the LR ?

which is like 13,400 mm per second at 48v.

Some guys just love blowing their horns.

I hope Bafang redesigns the mechanical parts of the new 1000 watt instead of just reusing the old BBS01 design. The 750 watt BBS02 uses the same mickey mouse plastic gear and clutch as the 350 watt. It left me stranded many miles out in the mountains. I chose to de tune my BBS02 to 500 watts to keep from having more problems. Doug Snyder at California e-bike has fantastic customer service. He turned my defective BBS02 around in 1 day!!

sather said:
I hope Bafang redesigns the mechanical parts of the new 1000 watt instead of just reusing the old BBS01 design. The 750 watt BBS02 uses the same mickey mouse plastic gear and clutch as the 350 watt. It left me stranded many miles out in the mountains. I chose to de tune my BBS02 to 500 watts to keep from having more problems. Doug Snyder at California e-bike has fantastic customer service. He turned my defective BBS02 around in 1 day!!
We're all hoping better quality control happens. Good choice in vendors. Everything I've done with Doug has been peerless. Several BBS01's, and 3 hub drives through him have made me a loyal customer. The additional costs working with Doug come back in spades! Other USA dealers have not been as helpful and never as quick to respond and solve problems. Fact is mid drives are more finicky. Still my favorite motors but they are a bit more maintenance. For many users, who aren't dedicated wrenchers, cali ebikes is a score! And for those who can do their own work the parts turnaround is as fast as 2-3 day mail service. Beats the pants off China and really not that expensive once you factor ALL the China direct costs. Not to mention what happens with a problem.

The 1000W drives have a whopping 160Nm torque..........................awsome!!!!

First time I've seen the chain wheel side, Is that going to be standard that weird looking cover? I can only imagine its there to help the alignment issues that the earlier BBS02 had or for more strength? So you have ridden a prototype of this 1000w...What were your impressions? Any more info would be great...Will you be getting a unit to review soon?

allthingstech said:
First time I've seen the chain wheel side, Is that going to be standard that weird looking cover? I can only imagine its there to help the alignment issues that the earlier BBS02 had or for more strength? So you have ridden a prototype of this 1000w...What were your impressions? Any more info would be great...Will you be getting a unit to review soon?

I don't think it's a cover - it's the chainring. And yes, it's fugly indeed. I guess the 3rd party chainrings like the Lekkie will fit, if not, I'm sure someone will start making them.

From the looks of the cases, they put the controller on the other side and have the gearing all on the same side. If so, that would be a big structural improvement IMO. Any talk on ca adaptability or secondary controller/ tweeks. They need to allow access to at least a few simple programming /options. Having to see the dealer is just not going to cut it.

Unless you are putting these motors on a $149 or cheaper Walmart bike, it seems like an adaptor with an aftermarket chainring is needed just for acceptable looks.

Since these can't shift under power, and since they have no shift-sensor, what is the best way to shift these? Shimano internal geared hub? NuVinci?

I don't think the look of the ring is bad at all and who says you can't shift them under power. You can slam them all day long. Sturdy chain is a must. Don't sound pretty if you don't feather or brake lever it a bit but my bbso2 works just fine on my nine speed setup under full power! If you time it right it feels like a mx bike. :p Di setup may even be much better. Most Internal hubs are borderline at these torque levels. Check out Keplers shift lever switch if you can not master a smooth shift.

I have had a fondness for Internally Geared Hubs (IGH), and a couple of years ago there was a great deal of discussion about using these as a transmission, and how much power they can take. For a BBS01, an IGH is a wonderful option. For the 750W BBS02, it depends on the "soft start" programming and which IGH you are using.

For the BBS-HD, I would never recommend any IGH. They would break with the tooth-loading being so high.

Good to know.

It seems like one needs to budget $100 for one of these:

http://www.lectriccycles.com/gear-sensor/

The Gearsensor models will soon be available from other vendors. My personal favorites, EM3ev and California eBikes will have them.

As an add on without the link to the controller, I think most will be disappointed. We tested them more than a year ago.

Wait until you can have a link to the controller, not the braking system.

When you see what you get for $100 you'll be disappointed. But that vendor gouges anyway. $81 for a $33 battery base($33 with $10 shipping)

I understand vendors need good markups but, seriously $75 for a $15 item that sells for a bit less than that wholesale. Why not support customers with reasonable markups?

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=60963&p=911717&hilit=gearsensor#p911717

Hope someone can confirm the bcd of the chainwheels. Hopefully the same as current.
That chainwheel looks bloody ugly.

looks aside, I would love to know the offset on that chainring.. perhaps my eyes are deceiving me, but looks like its a greater offset than the current standard chainring offers. Hopefully a cheaper solution to those currently using more expensive options, I'd be the first lining up for one if the offset is greater.

Back