MOVIE NITE

Thanks for the personal interest buddy. Same as anyone, I post when I have something to say?

Can't say I every watched an entire rambo movie, I do like badass killing sometimes, but those movies and expendables 2 and 3 just weren't that appealing to me, not that they were that bad. I have a friend that reminds me of you in taste etc. We don't like much of the same movies, but we both liked INCEPTION. What did you think of that one?

Dang, the films you guys are discussing. Isn't there anything GOOD on?

Perhaps you recall the old 'Pepe Le Peu' cartoons. The skunk, trying to woo the pussycat. The skunk was inspired by one Charles Boyer. And the cat, none other than the legendary Hedy Lamarr, inventor of the very broadband you're using to read this. (Well, the process that makes it possible anyway.) Had only they known there was a better antagonist on the horizon than French authorities.

The line "Come with me to the Casbah" was not actually in the film, though I've heard one of the trailers begins with Boyer saying it. Not a romantic thought, like saying 'Come with me to the rundown trailer park.' Casbah's were the fortress cities of Medieval times, though long ago they became the bad side of times. Which is why Pepe Le Moco can move so freely there. . . .

[youtube]cfltKEmh8uw[/youtube]

Wolf was good, I read an article on Yahoo or MSN saying the guys a bum now, sleeping on the streets of Manhattan of all places.
I personally believe the story to be yet another fake "News" story from these msn/yahoo clowns.

Imagine that eh, steal millions and they get so caught up in it, in the flash, that they dont bother to dig a hole in the forest in a good memorizable spot and hide a millions.
Reminds me of the Fargo movie, which I liked.
Then you get guys like Maddoff who thinks he is going to get off lightly, instead gets multiple life sentences..... I would have hired a helicopter and been elsewhere. How? Throw-away-cell from corner store from wife/kids. Contact? Thats the trick! Mafia/Gangsters! How do you get their #, another hurdle.

markz said:
Wolf was good, I read an article on Yahoo or MSN saying the guys a bum now, sleeping on the streets of Manhattan of all places.
I personally believe the story to be yet another fake "News" story from these msn/yahoo clowns.

If you mean the being a bum is fake, then yes. They said he made over $100 million in 2014. He's supposed to pay $110 million in restitution, (His partner has a separate payment) starting with 50% of his income through 2009. The last reference I can find to how much he's paid is 2 1/2 years old, saying over $12 million. He was predicting he's pay it all by the end of 2014, I find no reference to him having done so.

Dauntless said:
markz said:

If you mean the being a bum is fake, then yes. They said he made over $100 million in 2014. He's supposed to pay $110 million in restitution, (His partner has a separate payment) starting with 50% of his income through 2009. The last reference I can find to how much he's paid is 2 1/2 years old, saying over $12 million. He was predicting he's pay it all by the end of 2014, I find no reference to him having done so.

Well the MSN/yahoo clowns had a photo of someone sleeping on cardboard on the sidewalk. Had lighter hair then the real maccoy. These clowns tend to make stuff up and say its news. Or they use over dramatic words to emphasize a non-issue.

I was watching some of Rock of Ages movie tonight, noticed Tom Cruise instantly playing the lead singer for Def Leppard. Interesting part(s), but other parts were lame, couldnt hack watching it straight through, so flicked it over to SNL.

So I was goin' to UCLA. The 83 year old (I think it was) former head of post production at Fox was teaching a night class. He told this story of taking a date to a Broadway play, 'Strictly Dishonorable.' Not sure I remember what the connection was that got him backstage, the writer being from his hometown or something, but thus did his date meet her future exhusband, Preston Sturges. (I kinda had the feeling this spared the guy the trouble of splittin' up with her.)

So this guy says that any wannabee filmmaker should see Preston Sturges films in general, 'Sullivan's Travels' in particular. (I'm told the word 'Madcap' was coined to describe his films.) Since then, anytime someone asks about a film every wannabee should see, I always tell them. . . .

[youtube]2-iWgsgB-hY[/youtube]

I'll put that on my bucket list, since hollywood seems like a huge joke to me, it's not on my 'immediate' list. And I wouldn't wanna belong for all the money in the world.

One for yours: Entourage the classic movie about a movie. Hollywood inside hollywood.

Bummer is, since I watchd it and even recommended it in the same breath as condemning hollywood, that kinda makes me hypocrite :cry:

Oh, and also Self Less was pretty cool. But I can't wait for MI and especially tomorrowland (as mentioned in ernesto's thread w/ video about Cern), and I don't even like clooney all that much. But the musical D mentioned (O brother) was good. Clooney and Cruise are similar in many ways. Bet they'd hate to hear that tho.

Current threads re El Nino and mass consumption and waste of water resources plus maybe just too many people on this fragile planet makes me think of this old movie:
[youtube]5HC5soDYcVo[/youtube]

Yum! LOTS of problems "go away"!

Control of "over population" seems a recurring theme? At least since 1895 when H. G. Wells wrote about it... sort of. Lots of movies about this scenario since then:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1edrbu_the-time-machine-1960-1-2_lifestyle
MV5BMTYxNzUwMzQ2NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTAwNjk4MDE@._V1_SX214_AL_.jpg

I've got a 2nd (or 3rd) fav first watch mov of the year. Coherence was def cool, and the newest of the three. Thanks for that recommend! The one before that I've mentioned was Frequencies, which may be the lightest of the three.

Just 2nite I tried out TheThirteen Floor and was kinda blown away. As with the other two (and most I watch), I knew nothing of it other than the basic genre and whether I recognized the actors or not. It was recommended because the viewer really liked it way back from '99, but it was unknown because the overshadowing Matrix.

Appears to be set in the '30s, and was pretty dam cool for 1999 imo. An original take on an old idea, or an old take on an original idea- that's all I'll say. Don't ruin the surprise :mrgreen: !

One of these days I'll compile my top 25 to-date and putem in my op. We should also go back thru the thread and clean up bad embedded links we've placed- whole movies and new links on the tube are typically unreliable and shortlived, while most stuff can always be found on netflix or utorrent.

Ps, Markz, what did you specifically like about Madmax? I'm guessing part of the reason I didn't find it extremely good was I never saw the original? It wasn't bad at all, (although charlize has been turning me off in the last few) and I think it will warrant another watch sometime, just on your say.
Did you ever check out 'Inception' or have you seen 'Avengers Age of Ultron' yet? I've liked all the avengers movs, but would prefer more focused storylines like 'ironman' and 'captain america'. I think I heard Miss Johanson will have her own 'scarlet --' coming up?

Oh . . . AND ANOTHER THING . . . (hate when people do that) :p

Dauntless, I noticed you mentioned the latest startrek fanfilm in another thread. You must have liked the last 5 or so 'official' films too? The gear change on the last two with abrams have been great as well imo. (don't break my heart- and I'm hoping the next one doesn't disappoint- only thing I could offer abrams is we want more heroines, especially blonde w/ english accents :lol: )

Anyway, I'd seen your mention a few weeks ago, and almost mentioned it here prior to that. I'm surprised you didn't as well; it was not bad at all for 'B', I was fairly impressed, but although the story seemed very good, I admit I feel to have missed some of it. Still good, and neat to see some of those characters again.

HATED the first reset. (Didn't I mention that in the post?) Haven't bothered with the second. Kirk and Spock are supposed to be Kirk and Spock. My thought on that 'Star Trek' fan film was as a pilot for a TV series, danged right idea for one. Not that it'll happen. But Kirk is not supposed to be a reckless, out of control fool; if you want a ship captained by such a character you create a new one. In this case, a descendant of one of Kirk's old 2 time enemies. So I liked this fan film Captaining by Kahn's xtime granddaugther much better than the foolish reimagining of Kirk who HAD been just right as he was.

Funny you bring up 'Frequencies.' It's basically the definition of a film I'm supposed to hate, but dang, it's so wonderful for being so different. So I suddenly decided I should put it in this thread, only to open it and discover it's been mentioned. . . .

[youtube]wXSFRg53l2k[/youtube]

Yup it was hella unique! One of my fav 3 new watches of the year. Can't remember when I watchd (thinking nov or dec '14) son of a gun, but that was pretty dam good too. It was way more typical, but had some decent non-ridiculous action and a good story/soundtrack and acting.

Renegades was the treky fan film I think. I didn't follow it well enough to even get she was khan's descendent- I couldn't hear the audio that great. Totally right about another trek series, and good call for a twist such as that. Next Gen and Voyager were great, but there's been a trek series running more often than not in the last 30 years.
The live feeds of the ISS just aren't cutting it :) , and neither is all the endless vampire/zombie/& 'reality' themes on tv.

I think The Grand Budapest Hotel was fairly highly acclaimed last year? What do the people here think of it?

Oh yeah, and Dauntless, you embedded some interviews with that dark haired girl. Ever seen Life After Beth? I was gonna recommend it as a comedy, and just realized she was in it. It's a bit of similar humour to safety not guaranteed maybe?
beth.jpg

The Grand Budapest Hotel, to me, was a pretty stupid movie. It was rated quite highly at 92% on RottenTomatoes.com so I assumed it would have been a great movie as that website is usually always pretty accurate for my liking. I could hardly sit through that stupid movie.

Its like any movie with Jackie Chan in it, I was going to watch an interesting title to a movie tonight and it was fairly new, I read what it was about and it seemed cool, until it said Jackie Chan was in it and I flicked and changed channels immediately, its an automatic response. I've never understood why people like to watch his movies, never.

I'm not much of an expert, but I liked it, and respect the high rating on orignality of artistry alone.
I hear ya tho, it wasn't for everybody.

F'n 'life after beth' is even funnier this time around. Wtf, it's funny, in a very jilted sort of way. I always liked dark comedy tho, and this may be close to that.

Back