New build by a newbie!

Gatwod

10 mW
Hey guys, My name is Mike and I have started my first E-board build this week. I originally wanted one of those "2 wheeled self balance segway thingys", then decided to step back and look at my options. I wanted to build something that is mine that i could be proud of, not something put together in a cheap Chinese factory. I wanted to keep it around $300-400 bucks....I am fast realizing that isn't very possible if I want a quality build. It's just money, i'll make more ;)

I started off with a cheap longboard from Amazon for $63 with free shipping. I had to buy a pair of Paris trucks to fit the DIYelectricskateboard.com motor mount I bought

I purchased 90mm Flywheel clones off Amazon for $30, some Red's Bearings, 1/4 inch Riser pads and new bolt hardware to fit the new risers

New risers look good and should give me plenty of clearance!

The DIY kit was super simple to use with these wheels

Admiring the beautiful CNC milled aluminum!

Running a 16/36T setup here

This is where she sits at the moment

I placed an order from HK for a Turnigy SK3 6364-213kv motor ---->coming from overseas, U.S. stock has been super low
I have a 5000mah 6s Turnigy Lipo and the GT2 transmitter of the way from amazon.

The only two things left are the ESC and the lipo Charger.....I will need another paycheck for that to happen and i'll be done! Be on the lookout for more pics as I get more items in! ES has been a great spot of a newbie to find all the info to make a great build! Thanks guys!!!

Side note: I have never skateboarded in my entire life....this should be interesting ;)

Hey Mike. Congrats on the build so far and Welcome to ES! You are well on your way and it looks like you did your homework first.

Deck is good looking, and for the price you can hardly go wrong!

I see your wheel gear from DIYes, which motor mount are you using? The weld on for Paris, or his new adjustable v1 motor mount?

ESC - if you aren't in a rush i would strongly recommend a VESC. I saw an email from Onloop that his batch is showing up in the next week or three. Probably the best option for e-board IMO. EZRUN or newer XERUN are also solid and lots use them. Make sure you get a programming card with either because you absolutely must adjust settings (primarily brakes).

Lipo charger - this is a tough one. I've gone cheap'ish in the past and it's almost always been regretted. My personal favorites are iCharger, but any of that level will be a good investment. However almost all of the really powerful chargers require a DC power supply. Depending on your budget and technical ability i'd get the best one you can afford or build. I just got a dual Dell Server power supply that gives me 60A 12v and another 60A 24v (iCharger loves >18v (ie - faster charge)). Doable if you can find one laying around (like at work if you know the IT guy) or even on ebay they are typically about the same price as a smaller 350-500w 30A power supply. If you want i can dig up the how-to and some links to the one i got.

HTH - Good luck!

Here is a link for a great/cheap power supply like sl33py was talking about to use with any lipo charger of your choice :D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12v-12-Volt-62-Amp-DC-750w-Power-Supply-RC-Charger-Boat-Car-Audio-RV-Ham-CB-/252060948957?

l3thaltank said:
Here is a link for a great/cheap power supply like sl33py was talking about to use with any lipo charger of your choice :D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12v-12-Volt-62-Amp-DC-750w-Power-Supply-RC-Charger-Boat-Car-Audio-RV-Ham-CB-/252060948957?

Thanks l3thaltank - Actually same seller i got my 24v (paired) setup from. 1500w 24v is nice to have. Only downsides are how to power them on at the same time (small power strip w/ switch) and they can be a bit noisy (40/60mm server fans get loud at full RPM).

If you have access to some decom'd power supplies here's a how-to on rcgroups.

Also - Here's a link to the first how-to i found a while back outlining how to do this. Nice that he includes some other power supplies as well. I had a stack of weird power supplies (some Cisco switch ones 48v), but ended up dumping them and buying this pair from ebay simply due to lack of time.

GL!

sl33py said:
I see your wheel gear from DIYes, which motor mount are you using? The weld on for Paris, or his new adjustable v1 motor mount?

I got the new V1 motor mounts with the Paris adapters, they said to be sure to torque it down really good, it might take some paint off the truck, but it will hold.

I'm looking at a Castle Creation Mamba ESC, my local hobby shop carries them and it's the last part I will need. I am way to impatient to wait for shipping if the missing part to my puzzle is 3 miles away!

l3thaltank said:

I am most definitely going to buy this charger from the seller in Georgia...I didn't even know these were a thing!

Gatwod said:
Hey guys, My name is Mike and I have started my first E-board build this week. I originally wanted one of those "2 wheeled self balance segway thingys", then decided to step back and look at my options. I wanted to build something that is mine that i could be proud of, not something put together in a cheap Chinese factory. I wanted to keep it around $300-400 bucks....I am fast realizing that isn't very possible if I want a quality build. It's just money, i'll make more ;)

I started off with a cheap longboard from Amazon for $63 with free shipping. I had to buy a pair of Paris trucks to fit the DIYelectricskateboard.com motor mount I bought

I purchased 90mm Flywheel clones off Amazon for $30, some Red's Bearings, 1/4 inch Riser pads and new bolt hardware to fit the new risers

New risers look good and should give me plenty of clearance!

The DIY kit was super simple to use with these wheels

Admiring the beautiful CNC milled aluminum!

Running a 16/36T setup here

This is where she sits at the moment

I placed an order from HK for a Turnigy SK3 6364-213kv motor ---->coming from overseas, U.S. stock has been super low
I have a 5000mah 6s Turnigy Lipo and the GT2 transmitter of the way from amazon.

The only two things left are the ESC and the lipo Charger.....I will need another paycheck for that to happen and i'll be done! Be on the lookout for more pics as I get more items in! ES has been a great spot of a newbie to find all the info to make a great build! Thanks guys!!!

Side note: I have never skateboarded in my entire life....this should be interesting ;)

Hey Mike, awesome looking build! What pulley and belt are you getting? Or have you got the motor mount with the pulley and belt included?

lox897 said:
Hey Mike, awesome looking build! What pulley and belt are you getting? Or have you got the motor mount with the pulley and belt included?

I ended up going with the whole kit (Mount and drive) it was a few extra bucks but the convenience of the setup makes it worth it. the drive kit came with a 13t small pulley, 36t large pulley, and a 9mm HTD belt.

DIYes carries a few different size pulleys that I can buy down the road if I don't care for the gearing, but for a first time build I just went with their standard kit.

Kaeon said:
What kinda board is that?

It's a cheap board I got from Amazon, Link is posted below. Didn't want to go crazy with my first build, it turned out to be a solid board for the price.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F9UC1UI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Also, Question to the ES universe. I have a waterproof enclosure coming in this week and my build will be complete. Has anyone had issues with the ESC getting too hot being in a sealed box with the Lipo and the GT2 receiver? wanted to make sure that I'm not gonna blow anything up!

I think trying to get the heatsink fins to stick through your enclosure and still be sealed is a good idea. In a pinch i'd try it without and then check out the data logging the Mamba XL2 does - keep an eye on your temp and do short runs until you know it won't overheat. Heat being the best way to kill any sort of electronics...

If you get the Mamba i think you can get the USB link for free in the box w/ a rebate program. just FYI.

How about some more pics of how you have it setup so far? Motor mounted and ready to start connecting it all yet?

HTH - GL!

Gatwod said:
Also, Question to the ES universe. I have a waterproof enclosure coming in this week and my build will be complete. Has anyone had issues with the ESC getting too hot being in a sealed box with the Lipo and the GT2 receiver? wanted to make sure that I'm not gonna blow anything up!

I ain't got no expérience yet, but I think that a litlle air flow is neccessary to keep things cooled enough.

But the way to do this is mysteries to me, but to have a good airflow the inpout may be bigger than the outpout to have a positive pressure, and generaly for aiflow it is best to have the cooler air inpout downside and the exhaust upside, but in our case as we moved I don't think it's neccessary.

I'm thinking of something like for car (but sized four our enclosure of course :mrgreen: )
small_1089247795.jpg

However do you have a link to your waterproof enclosure??

sl33py said:
I think trying to get the heatsink fins to stick through your enclosure and still be sealed is a good idea. In a pinch i'd try it without and then check out the data logging the Mamba XL2 does - keep an eye on your temp and do short runs until you know it won't overheat. Heat being the best way to kill any sort of electronics...

If you get the Mamba i think you can get the USB link for free in the box w/ a rebate program. just FYI.

How about some more pics of how you have it setup so far? Motor mounted and ready to start connecting it all yet?

HTH - GL!

I will not be getting the Mamba XL 2, my local hobby shop sold the last one this week. I went with the FVT 12a ESC from RCjuice.com. Not nearly as good, but i've been itching to get on the road! I figured that i'll eventually grab an VESC in a few months, why spend double the price for an ESC now.

I've seen a few setups where the fan of the ESC is the only exposed part of the enclosure, I may consider doing that.

I will post some pics this weekend. All my parts for the exception of the enclosure are due to show up tomorrow around noon and I'll start putting it together. I will double side tape the parts to the bottom of the board so i can start tuning it (assuming it stays dry in South Carolina over the weekend) Then tuesday when my box comes in, I will tidy it up!

Vulthor said:
However do you have a link to your waterproof enclosure??

Yeah sure, here it is. Again, I am just trying to build my first board and get on the road, So I may end up fabricating something better in the future. I searched long and hard to find a box with the dimensions I needed (something large enough to fit my single 6s Turnigy battery, but thin enough to fit under the board)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003EA5ZV2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

I also highly recommend VESC, I bought a couple turnigy ones and now I realize it was a waste of $160 because they are horrible compared to VESC.

The generic brand wheels (I originally got the 83mm blank pros) are usually a much harder urethane, which can be dangerous because instead of skating over rocks and stuff, they can get jammed and you go flying off the board. So I ended up getting real flywheels (78a) and I'm glad I did. Although my board is a mini cruiser so that might be why its a bigger deal for me.

Lastly I would buy a $20 steel ammo can from a sporting goods or gun store and drill a 1/2" hole in the side (for charging cable and air vent), to make lipo charging and storage a lot safer.

777arc said:
I also highly recommend VESC, I bought a couple turnigy ones and now I realize it was a waste of $160 because they are horrible compared to VESC.

The generic brand wheels (I originally got the 83mm blank pros) are usually a much harder urethane, which can be dangerous because instead of skating over rocks and stuff, they can get jammed and you go flying off the board. So I ended up getting real flywheels (78a) and I'm glad I did. Although my board is a mini cruiser so that might be why its a bigger deal for me.

Lastly I would buy a $20 steel ammo can from a sporting goods or gun store and drill a 1/2" hole in the side (for charging cable and air vent), to make lipo charging and storage a lot safer.

VESC's are just awesome. Best $ spent. I've tried the XL2, and XERUN, but the VESC just kicks their ass in feel and adjustment.

I've had good luck with some 83mm flywheel clones. If you are flying off the board due to a rock - it must be a big damn rock! I like a slightly harder 'thane for less rolling resistance... Then w/ the 97's i roll over small children and barely notice (only when their parents aren't paying attention...).

Good idea on the *metal* ammo can. Alternatively you can grab a Pyrex or Ceramic pot and charge in it. If your charger (my iCharger has one) has a temp probe option - good to have as they will always heat before a major issue and the charger can shut off charging if it's sensor is on the pack.

GL!

Build post continued!

I ended up trading out the 180mm Paris V2 trucks with a set of Caliber type trucks from DIY Electric Skateboard. We found out that 180mm was too short of a wheelbase to work with his V1 Motor Mounts. I gotta say I really like the look of these blue trucks on the board!

I received my FVT 120a ESC with Programming Card in the mail this morning and immediately got to work on putting the board together

I used a little double sided take to mount all the parts to the bottom of the board so I could start my testing!

I ran into a slight issue, mostly with my soldering skills. I had to connect a new Deans Type connector onto my lipo. I'm not nearly as good as I thought I would be and it took me like 30 minutes. It's not pretty, but it works. (Will be replacing with anti spark soon)

Also, as never being an RC enthusiast, I had some issues binding the receiver and programming the ESC using the programming card. All in all it took about an hour fine tuning before I felt comfortable taking the board around the neighborhood.

I had a blast on my ride and every kid I passed had this amazing look of disbelief on their face as I passed. I'm not sure if it's because a 29 year old man is riding a skateboard, or the fact that I'm tearing up the biggest hill in the neighborhood without touching the ground, lol...All in all I am very happy with my setup, just waiting on my enclosure to get here and tidy things up a bit!

saul said:
very nice, hows that esc working for you so far?

oh and I would get another battery or two when you can, I can't imagine that single 6s lasting for very long on its own...

So far so good, I found another post on ES dealing with the FVT 120a ESC and found some optimal settings. It's running good with no issues. Happy with the $55 I spent on it!

And I'll get getting another battery soon. I'm really wanting to test the range this week with what I have. From reading on here I think i can get anywhere between 6-8 miles on 5000 mah 6s depending on terrain, but I could be wrong.

OK, I think I may have already burnt up a motor, less than a day after having it built :(

I came to visit some friends in the mountains today and wanted to test out the hill climbing ability of my board. I used a hefty amount of braking down the huge driveway then turned around and gunned it back up. The board started to slow down and eventually came to a stop. I noticed some smoke coming from the motor.

The ESC still turns on but doesn't seem to recognize the motor. Is it that easy to burn one of these up? I'm sort of having a hard time believing that.

Gatwod said:
OK, I think I may have already burnt up a motor, less than a day after having it built :(

I came to visit some friends in the mountains today and wanted to test out the hill climbing ability of my board. I used a hefty amount of braking down the huge driveway then turned around and gunned it back up. The board started to slow down and eventually came to a stop. I noticed some smoke coming from the motor.

The ESC still turns on but doesn't seem to recognize the motor. Is it that easy to burn one of these up? I'm sort of having a hard time believing that.

That's really unfortunate :( .

Depending of the hills and your weight it is still possible that you overload the motor, but I seriously had doubt, probably a bad motor, but wait for more expertising from older members.

Sad for you by the way :cry:

That really sucks...Try switching a couple of your motor wires. Maybe you'll get a reaction from your esc.

Back