E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

The current 21A brick is 37x11,5x7cm so it slides right in the frame. But next one will be a bit different, about 25x11,5x14cm so you will have plenty of emty space in the upper region of the frame

The range? I cannot give you that but I can tell you how to measure it :)
Original Bomber pack is 1296Wh(72v x 18Ah)
21Ah pack is 1600Wh
27Ah pack is 2000Wh
42Ah pack is 3000Wh

Take your Wh/km(or Mile) avarage looking at CA and devide above value with it to get the range

Hi Alex do you have a picture of the 42 Ah Battery Pack. I might be seriously interested in that pack...

Hey Allex,

Love your work on those batteries.

What is the the stats on the 27ah battery for the Bomber? Is it lighter than the stock battery? How would voltage sag compare to stock battery?

Thanks,

Eric

Rix said:
How about a picture CD, can't brag about $h!t and not snap a pic for the thread.
I'll do you one better :)
[youtube]Ig9Oi8HfuCw[/youtube]
Youtube absolutely took a dump on the quality even at 1080p so hopefully it still looks ok to you guy's.

I'm loving the performance of the Leaf. Sure, it's a little less torquey than the HS40, but not enough that it really matters and it still pulls harder than a Bomber (read below). I definitely notice the weight savings over the HS40 and I can flick the back around a lot easier now than before.
It's increased efficiency means that on this kind of ride where I would normally be over heating the HS40 the Leaf gets hot, but not dangerously hot. Highest temp I saw on the side cover for this ride was 60C...on the same ride with a sealed HS40xx I've hit 80C+ before. I haven't got around to installing internal temp sensors on the Leaf yet.

We met a guy riding a Bomber on the ride also. He let us have a ride which was cool, but we both came away less than impressed at the acceleration of the thing. It was a new Bomber only about 4 months old, but I reckon Stealth have crippled the phase amps to prevent overheating. Doing so kills the low down torque of the motor and both my Fighter and KiwiEV's Giant pulled harder off the line than his Bomber....and it cost him 11k :shock: I paid just over half that for my Fighter 5ish years ago!

Cheers

Cowardlyduck said:
Rix said:
How about a picture CD, can't brag about $h!t and not snap a pic for the thread.
I'll do you one better :)
[youtube]Ig9Oi8HfuCw[/youtube]
Youtube absolutely took a dump on the quality even at 1080p so hopefully it still looks ok to you guy's.

I'm loving the performance of the Leaf. Sure, it's a little less torquey than the HS40, but not enough that it really matters and it still pulls harder than a Bomber (read below). I definitely notice the weight savings over the HS40 and I can flick the back around a lot easier now than before.
It's increased efficiency means that on this kind of ride where I would normally be over heating the HS40 the Leaf gets hot, but not dangerously hot. Highest temp I saw on the side cover for this ride was 60C...on the same ride with a sealed HS40xx I've hit 80C+ before. I haven't got around to installing internal temp sensors on the Leaf yet.

We met a guy riding a Bomber on the ride also. He let us have a ride which was cool, but we both came away less than impressed at the acceleration of the thing. It was a new Bomber only about 4 months old, but I reckon Stealth have crippled the phase amps to prevent overheating. Doing so kills the low down torque of the motor and both my Fighter and KiwiEV's Giant pulled harder off the line than his Bomber....and it cost him 11k :shock: I paid just over half that for my Fighter 5ish years ago!

Cheers

FUQN AWESOME! You and Kiwi made an outstanding video. Watched it twice. As far as the Bomber goes, the DC1 can be set up very mellow, and also I am wondering if his WH were limited to say like 2500 or so. I haven't ridden a new Bomber yet, but TV had posted his son's Bomber is only slightly faster on top and getting there was just about identical. Could be that you and Kiwi have really fast builds also. BTW, glad you are liking the Leaf. I have been tossing around going with the TC3080. Its 15 pounds, and has almost the same performance as the TC40100. Just a couple of MPH slower on 16s and about 7 pounds less thrust @ 90 amps... according to the ebike simulator. Heats up a little quicker, but not much, and totally blows the 3525 and 3540 out of the water in terms of thrust and top speed. Does your Leaf feel faster than the 3540?

Glad you like it Rick. :D

Rix said:
Does your Leaf feel faster than the 3540?
Yes, but not by much. It's noticeable, but only just in terms of acceleration over the HS35xx.

Where the Leaf really shines is in it's coasting ability. On the HS35 and HS40 motor's once you let off the throttle the bike will slow down faster than a normal bike due to the cogging of the motor.
With the Leaf, once I let off the throttle, it's as if I'm cruising on a normal (but heavy) bike and if feels like I could coast for ever. I can't feel any cogging at all and it will just freewheel forever.

If your only concern is performance then I wouldn't recommend the Leaf (or TC30xx) motor. But if you care about weight, and/or efficiency then depending on what matters more to you, these motor's might be what your after. :)

Cheers

Cowardlyduck said:
Youtube absolutely took a dump on the quality even at 1080p so hopefully it still looks ok to you guy's

No it doesn't...it looks terrible. I can't believe what YouTube does to perfectly good images. Video butchery. Maybe try Vimeo? Other than that...very very nice vid, really flows with the choice of camera mount positions, scene selection and cuts on beat. 2 thumbs up!

remf said:
No it doesn't...it looks terrible. I can't believe what YouTube does to perfectly good images. Video butchery. Maybe try Vimeo? Other than that...very very nice vid, really flows with the choice of camera mount positions, scene selection and cuts on beat. 2 thumbs up!
Glad you like it!

Suggestion taken. :)
https://vimeo.com/cowardlyduck

I'll try uploading some decent footage tonight.
It would be good if E-S could embed Vimeo video's. Anyone know how to do it using HTML?

Cheers

+ 1 for the nice vid CD
and -1 for youtube. I noticed when I uploaded my last vid (quite similar to yours actually :) ) the quality was much worse.
As remf said vimeo is better and they have higher level paid accounts. I signed up a while back but didnt end up uploading anything. They have different copyright laws to youtube from memory so most vids with soundtracks get yanked or are otherwise not allowed or something (vs youtube where they just run adds against it)

There's a few ways you can maximise the quality which I've noticed in my vids and the same will apply to yours.
A: Compression murders fast moving scenery - ie most of what we capture in our vids!
The footage straight from your camera may look OK but your editing software will re-render it with what is most likely an inferior codec and it'll come out looking grubbier than the original footage before youtube even gets its grubby hands on it. Render in top quality so the footage is as good as it can be before youtube gets it.

B: Miminise movement: Many cameras struggle to give good quality images in less than bright light and movement makes this worse, especially on overcast days or in shady forests etc. Notice your fixed shots are clearer and when the track becomes smoother the image quality improves ? Do what you can to reduce shake and it will give a better quality image (aside from looking more pleasant generally) I find helmet cams typically give more stable footage, thanks in part to our biological shock absorbing spines :p It looks like your camera is mounted on the top side of yours bars ? Try flipping it and hanging it from the underside of your bars. I've found this results in much smoother video as the camera isn't top heavy and shaking around as much

C: There's certain codecs that apparently minimise youtubes re-encoding and if you encode in this format to start with youtube will potentially not touch it at all. Google it to see what they're up to these days. I looked into a few years back but havent looked recently.

Thanks Jay, and thanks for the tips. :)
I did already know most of that, but it helps anyway. :)
My editing software (Video Pad) outputs video in pristine condition and looks great compared to the youtube equivalent, so it's definitely not my editing software hurting the quality.
I put some effort into editing, but the ride was mostly just a ride to ride, not a ride to video...if that makes sense.

I actually uploaded that video from a pre-compressed 8000-10000kbps ~250MB copy to see if that would help after reading this:
http://www.filmbrute.com/youtube-compression Very technical and well worth a read if your into video editing. :)
According to that link Vimeo won't be any better, but I'll give it a shot anyway.
For a point of comparison, the long version of the video was uploaded from a 5.7GB super high quality copy that took over 24hrs to upload...but it looks just as crap.

The theoretical 250MB increase Vimeo allows should allow double the quality for the length of the short video, and I can see a difference in the pre-compressed copies on my PC. I'm uploading a ~460MB 15000kbps copy to Vimeo now so we'll see how it goes. :D

Cheers

Cowardlyduck said:
I put some effort into editing, but the ride was mostly just a ride to ride, not a ride to video...if that makes sense.
Yep, I know that all too well. As I've said before you either go out to ride or you to out to make a video. Sometimes you can achieve a bit of both but to get the most camera angles you need to spend the time moving the camera around and doing ride bys etc.
Having a second person really helps, there's only so much you can pull off solo!

I actually uploaded that video from a pre-compressed 8000-10000kbps ~250MB
It may just be the codecs but I find 15,000kbps and less often look a bit grubby with fast movement. Bumping mine up to 25k seemed to give much better picture quality.

the video was uploaded from a 5.7GB super high quality copy that took over 24hrs to upload...but it looks just as crap.
Yeah, that's all youtube then :evil:
Vimeo version is definitely better!

Cowardlyduck wrote:
Yep, I know that all too well. As I've said before you either go out to ride or you to out to make a video. Sometimes you can achieve a bit of both but to get the most camera angles you need to spend the time moving the camera around and doing ride bys etc.
Having a second person really helps, there's only so much you can pull off solo!

This is true, but when you got 2 people or more riding, you don't need nearly as many static shots to make the vid interesting. Having footage from either a forward or rearward facing camera on another bike achieves a lot of this. So its much more easy to get a good vid and ride if there are two people involved. That said, all my 3rd person static vids footage is taken at the beginning of the ride, then I ride to have the ride and mix all that together later in editing. My take is when making solo video, for every 1 minute the video is in length, have 4 3rd person shots. Hopefully when Pops comes down to see me next week, will have some good single track around Tahoe for a change in scenery.

Here is a bit of comic relief, my 10 year old and his Stealth Fighter. It usually takes off like a rocket with his 37kg on board, but he had been riding around for about an hour, and he don't pedal at all, so battery was down a bit.

Attachments

• Stealth Fighter Parental Guidance.MOV
    1.8 MB
Nice power to weight ratio, I wish I could get down to about 150#. My bike would be much faster that at 250#.

Ok, somebody please tell me, how do you embed the You Tube clips into the thread? I know it is a general question but I looked up the Forum FAQ and could not find guidance there. this is the first forum I have ever been on, so a bit of a Klutz!

JB

Back