Taking a chance on Alibaba (K Power battery)

I ordered this with plug option B:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/48V-6A-Lithium-Battery-Charger-High-Quality-Electric-Bicycle-Battery-Charger-13S-54-6V-Lithium-Charger/32459595794.html

It make take up to 30 days to arrive unless you pay $23 more for DHL.

Since I have the 2A charger, I opted for slow shipping.

This one is also interesting as it is in NJ and only $8 more. I didn't get it because I would have to cut off the tip on my current charger. I wanted to keep both chargers active without having to make XLR adaptors.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Parts-Lithium-Charger-48-Volt-6-Amp-Batteries-Power-Chargers-/311355594295?hash=item487e3d5637

I've been waiting 2 months now for my Fast Tech order to arrive. That NJ one looks promising, I might buy it for my future 18650 pack.

My battery claims to have a Seiko BMS and is 8 amp compatible.

In theory a 0.5S charge is 10A. So 8A may not significantly reduce its life. I can't find those for under $100 though, so 6A seems to be the sweet spot, rationalized with even more battery life.

6A is only 0.3C.

2A is a crazy low 1/10C. There is no good reason for it to come with a 2A charger except that is what they have a ton of lying around for smaller batteries.

This LunaCycle one looks very good:

http://lunacycle.com/chargers/48v-5amp-ebike-lithium-smart-fast-charger/

I should have just ordered that and converted to XT-60 connectors, but I didn't know about it until today.

Luna seemingly only has good stuff. That appears to be their purpose. To prefilter good stuff.

I am selling my battery due to wanting to restore my classic bike back to pedal power - it is in the classifieds section.

riba2233 said:
Alan B said:
Buying loose cells and building an electric bike battery pack is not something that most people are going to want to do, or be safe doing, or should attempt.

Sharing experiences of commercially available packs, learning what to look for, that's useful.

Thanks to Dan for sharing his experience.

It's not nearly as hard and inconvenient as you think it is, lot of people here has done it with great results. I'm only saying this because it's the best option today, when assembled packs are too expensive and not customized. Cells are cheap, safe, and it's not that hard to do.

Where are the cheap loose cells ?

My somewhat limited searching and a few pages of notes have come up with cells that would cost me what a completed, quality battery would cost say from Luna, and that's not counting sourcing, and shipping the other parts, wire, nickle strips, BMS, and spot welder, shrink...etc. Although I think I have an idea for non welded pack.

So where are the cheap cells ? and I don't want to hear of a wire transfer only type company.

For us Canucks, maybe NKON website, but their NON EU TAX site.
Also Washington States Luna Cycle now ships loose cells into Canada, they also have packs.
ebikes.ca has those AllCell I am sure you are aware of.
Some guy here on E.S. out of Poland, Tumich is selling cells and Bosch packs.
OSNPower website and their Aliexpress site. They are the LiFePO4 though.

Off the top of my head I cant think of anything else. Spinningmagnets scored a few good ecig websites.
Without me looking at my notes, I cant really think of anything else.
Theres one called "something buddy" (not the rc shop) sells loose 18650 cells.

Thanks, I never ran across that NKON site before. But their price is equal to a ready made battery.

I have not seen loose cells for sale on either Luna cycle or ebikes.ca ?

The member Tumich seems to have the best prices that I've ever seen personally.

I just bought a ready made STUNNER, should be here tomorrow...as an early backer I got a price on a "spare" (ready made) battery that works out to about 4 bucks per cell, Sanyo 26 mAh are supposed to be inside.

Since batteries don't last forever I will probably look into getting some from Tumich in the future.

Back