Sabvoton SSC048150 - NAKED!

Kodin

1 kW
I got bored and took the case off my Sabvoton 48V controller. I was curious what sort of components were inside. Guess what? 24 Infineon 4110's, and 100V-rated caps!

Photo dump below:

i-Vs2dp43-L.jpg

The two black things around two of the phase outputs look to be inductive pickups for sensing back-EMF. Interesting design.
i-MDh8jzQ-L.jpg

Dat heatsink...
i-J7j7pvh-L.jpg

i-pHkzdDH-L.jpg

i-pqDZL4q-L.jpg

100V rated caps!

i-hXKX99w-L.jpg

The springs cover it up, but it's 4110 Infineon's. (I lifted one of the springs to double-check, I just couldn't balance the camera, controller, light, and prying tool all at the same time).

i-GFn3zRW-L.jpg

Everything seems to be very well silicone-potted so that vibration won't damage components. Also note the rubber isolator between the metal post and the PCB. The PCB itself isn't actually screwed down at all, even though there's provisions for it. I wonder why?

i-8nzP2wZ-L.jpg

Also noted, though there's a point for grounding to the heatsink, they seem to have opted not to install it. Not necessarily a bad thing, just means the heatsink is electrically isolated from any of the internal circuitry.

i-VkqJPt2-L.jpg

Again, no mounting screws used to anchor the board.

Here's a funny one! They scraped the labelling off of all the IC's other than the FET's:
i-qbv6fCm-L.jpg

The whole thing is VERY impressively sealed, rugged, and generally well-built. Hope you enjoyed the pictures!

2475848_o.gif

Lol just kindding, that's pretty cool. Shout-out to a fellow Oregonian btw.

Wow thanks dude! I was going to open up my 72080 just for kicks. You saved me the trouble to sate my curiosity.

One other observation. There's two LEDs but only one has a light pipe. Go figure.

Truely a copy of the Sevcon gen4 controllers layout!

Doc

Wait, seriously?

*does some googling*

Holy crap you're right! Casing even looks identical! Which do you think came first? Could even be these are the same units simply re-branded.

On second glance, the Sabvoton version uses standard molex connectors and seals from the back end of the connector rather than Sevcon's waterproof-at-the-plug design. Otherwise if I were colorblind I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference.

I've yet to finish my custom motor mods so I can't tell you for sure; others have these however and love them.

Back