Justwin Cool E-Rider tricycle

robertmdm said:
I just got a Justwin Cool E-Rider off of Craigslist… before it was sold to me i was told that the motor has a tendency to cease up… i was riding it and the motor started jerking (intermittently ceasing) and making noise. Then i couldn't even roll the trike back in reverse. After riding it around a bit, it just went away, does anyone have any recommendations for how i can keep it for locking up? is there an issue with going in reverse?

The original Currie e-bikes had this type of weird clutch, too. The clutch failed early if not lube'd regularly (i.e. every ride) with Tri-Flow or other high-performance anti-friction oil. If driven in a high-load setting (i.e. riding up a stairway), the clutches would start making clicking noises, which meant a failure very soon. I think Currie called it a Schrage? clutch. An ebike pioneer guy in New Hampshire sold beefier clutches, circa 1999 to 2005. Thanks to China, we now have high-efficiency, non-cogging, brushless, gearless hub motors, and can do away with the junk from 1998-2007.

SherriSmall said:
Hello, 8)
How Are you making out with your Trike these day???. I have had one for five years and love it, but the motor recently wore out, and I decided to switch to a Mid Drive Motor (I got a 8FUN Bafang). The Trike is still in pieces :'( :'( :'( and has been for six weeks becuase a part on the pedal assembly got stuck (thats where the new Bafang Motor will go), and I had to order a special tool to get it unstuck. Also, I have to remove that heavy and dead motor that it came with. Do you know anything about what I need to put in place of that heavy motor, so that the 2 chains will rotate the wheels???? I havn't taken it off yet, but I imagine there is going to be a gap there. . It's actually hard to find other people that have a Justwin Trike. I guess we are far and few. Looking foarward to hearing from you.
SherriSmall
Unless you're good at mechanical stuff ( because you will have to replace the motor with a jackshaft holding the gear cage and the drive sprocket) or want to spend the money at the LBS to have them do it (or suitable mechanical-minded-person) I'd just leave the motor there for the time beings. (makes a great, if heavy, jackshaft).
********************************************************************************************************

NO PROBLEMS WITH THE MOTOR after my rebuild back in '12.
I carefully reassembled the swag clutches and probably modified them a bit, but memory fails me as to what I actually did.

Beleze was ever so helpful during my initial purchase... I can't emphasize this enough.

Running the motor below 30V (7S Lithium Turnigy from HK) probably solved much of my issues with it. I also use a MXUS geared hub motor on the front wheel, which provides a top speed of slightly less than 20mph on 12S of battery. NOTE: with me riding and all batteries and door the trike weighs over 500 pounds! The tiny geared-hub motor works because it's in a 16" wheel.
Motorizing the front wheel was far better than trying to increase the speed of the rear motor (see: clutch failures) and predates the availability of the mid-drive motors and I'm quite happy with it's performance as I can climb any local grade (including 30%) with no effort on my part
Since I still think the basic trike is a worthwhile investment adding a front motor was a non-issuelil torque monster.jpgView attachment 3
As seen by the pics I semi-enclosed the trike, making it more or less rainproof. I did modify the rear suspension to compensate for locally really strong crosswindsboth.jpg

One thing I've never figured out (because you know... two motor systems) is why the rear motor sometimes fails after hitting a big bump and then refuses to reset unless I do a complete stop.
Obviously I seem to be the only one with this issue.headlights.jpg

The "Justwin" Cool E-Trike is apparently no longer offered in this country.

It's been replaced by the Cool E-Trike (no Justwin) which is similar to a Sun EZ 21-speed with a front (what looks to be) DD motor but still sports the rear suspension and jackshaft, making it easy to add additional motorpower (he said redundantly redundantly)

Hi
I have just acquired one of these trikes but it didn't come with a charger! The person I got it from was using a wheelchair charger which they had borrowed. What type of charger do I need please? I was about to purchase a 24v 4a, 3 prong (male) charger from Amazon.......Will this do the job? Many thanks
Antony

Hi
I have just acquired one of these trikes but it didn't come with a charger! The person I got it from was using a wheelchair charger which they had borrowed. What type of charger do I need please? I was about to purchase a 24v 4a, 3 prong (male) charger from Amazon.......Will this do the job? Many thanks
Antony

Back