How To DIY Fiberglass All-In-One Deck

astilwell611

100 W
Hello Everyone,
I want to start off by saying that I do not take responsibility if you get hurt during any part of this process. Power tool are dangerous as is riding a deck that you built. So build at your own risk. I also want to say that I know there are endless possibilities of how to do this process. I chose this way because I only used the tools that were available to me.
Now that my little safety rant is over… I wanted to make my own all-in-one deck but could not find any helpful videos on YouTube or any helpful info on the web in general. I know plenty of folks on here have built their own all-in-one but nobody has really posted up any information as to where they started or how they did it. There are options to buy an all-in-one deck such as onloops carbon deck, which is super sexy btw. However, being a college student I can’t afford to cough up the $338USD plus shipping for just a deck. So I started out to build my own.
I started my gathering the material to make my deck out of. Since an all-in-one will have the center cut out for the electronics you need something that is at least ¾” in my opinion. I happened to have used some material that my dad had left over from building custom upholstered headboards for beds. This material is a nice 7/8” thick ply. I forget the number of ply’s off the top of my head. I knew from riding my old deck that I wanted something wide enough that my feet didn’t hang off the edges. I also knew that this board would be sporting 5” pneumatic wheels.
So to start I stripped down my current board bare. I used this as a starter template since I have nothing large enough to print off a proper paper template. After tracing my current deck onto the material I marked my holes for my trucks and also marked the center mark of the template. From this center mark I measured out five and a half inches from the center along both edges. I then used a gallon paint can to mark the wheel wells using the preexisting nose/tail and the new edges I drew out. I then cut my deck out of the material using a jig saw.

*Deck drawn out ready to cut.

Since the deck was cut out with a jig saw the edges were not perfectly straight. In order to straighten the edges I threw the deck into a vice and sanded the edges with a foot long flat sander. I also used an orbital sander to round the edges of the deck.

*This was before sanding the deck. You can see how wavy the top edge is.

*After sanding the deck is nice and smooth/straight.

Next I drilled the holes for my trucks and test fitted them. I recommend waiting on this step till the end because I have decided to actually move my trucks forward to allow even more clearance for the 5” pneumatics. I also marked out where I wanted to cut my hole that will allow me to access the electronics. I knew the overall length I would need based off the length of the batteries that I was going to use as well as ESC’s. Since this board will be a dual diagonal drive I wanted to make sure I could place everything with a little extra room to spare. You can see in this picture that my board isn’t 100% symmetrical. I think this is because I used my old deck as a template instead of using a paper template.

*Ready to cut my hatch.

I cut out the hatch again using a jigsaw. I also smoothed out the straights using my flat sander and rounded the edges using my orbital sander.

*Hatch cut.

Next I needed to figure out how to shape the bottom of the enclosure. I used the piece of material that I cut out to make the hatch for the side pieces. My Turnigy 6s lipos are right about 2” tall. So I knew I wanted my enclosure just large enough to house the lipos. The width of these pieces were already the correct width because they were the piece that was cut out. I cut two pieces to three inches tall. This would give me an enclosure that would only hang two inches below the deck. I used a broom handle to form the long edges of the enclosure. Everything was wrapped in aluminum foil to keep the fiberglass from sticking to the “mold”.

*Wrapped in aluminum foil and ready for glass.

I have my fiberglass experience from auto body and speaker housing work. So I used techniques from that on this build. You need a base material to wrap the shape in to start laying glass. A commonly used material in the speaker world is felt. I didn’t have any felt but I did have an old sheet lying around. I cut the sheet to the size I needed and draped it over the deck. I then stapled around the deck about a half inch from the edge. You want to make sure you start in the middle and work outward toward the edges.

*Ready for glass.

For this first layer we only need to brush epoxy onto the material because the material acts like the fiberglass to form the shape of the entire deck.

*First layer of resin.

I like to use fiberglass resign I found at Lowes. You are able to sand it in two hours which is awesome! After the first layer of resign dried I used some 50 grit sand paper to scuff up the dried resign to give the new layer something to stick to. After the first layer was scuffed I blew off all the sanding dust using an air compressor with a nozzle on the end. Then I began laying the second layer of resign this time with fiberglass mat. First I painted resign over the entire deck. Then I lay the mat down over the deck. Once the mat has been laid I go back over the top of the mat with another coat of resign. After this second layer was hard I sanded the entire deck with 100 grit sandpaper on my orbital sander to start smoothing down the fiberglass.

*First layer of fiberglass mat sanded

After this first layer of mat was dry I felt the deck was strong enough to pull the "mold" out from the inside.

I used a total of three layers of fiberglass mat on this build, the process I used goes like this:
1. Scuff/sand the surface to give the resign something to stick to.
2. Blow off sanding dust using some sort of compressed air or a vacuum.
3. Paint on a layer of resign.
4. Lay down a layer of fiberglass mat.
5. Paint on a layer of resign over the mat.
6. Let the resign fully dry before sanding.
7. Repeat for desired number of layers.

After the final layer of mat was sanded body filler (bondo) was applied to help give a smooth surface once sanded. The bondo acts to fill small dips and holes in the fiberglass.

*Seems like a lot of bondo but a lot will be sanded off.

Once the bondo was dry I sanded it down using my flat sander everywhere possible.

*First layer of bondo sanded down.

You want to continue this process until you get a smooth surface that you are happy with. I will update this post as I continue work on the deck. Like I said I’m a college student so this only really gets worked on during the weekends. Hopefully this weekend I will be able to finish it up.

Thanks for viewing,
Austin

astilwell611 said:
You can see in this picture that my board isn’t 100% symmetrical. I think this is because I used my old deck as a template instead of using a paper template.

Love what your doing here Man! Though...why not take the time to make the deck symmetrical? That is waay out to lunch, and think you will find it quite awkward to ride.

the board looks asymmetrical. Would annoying the crap out of me. lol Good job nonetheless.

Thank you for the walk through!
I've wanted to do this for my second board!
Now I have something to go off of.
Great job! :)

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to update everyone on the progress I made this weekend and showcase some parts.

*Shows the cubby for the electronics and the routed lip for the lid. Not bad for my first time with a router.

*Divider/ support for the lid.

*Divider installed and rubber pads epoxied in for shock support.

*Layup of components. Plenty of room.

*Wanted to be sure that I had enough room to run two batteries in parallel for when I know I'm going on long runs.

*Lid with "fuel gauge" test fit. Board is tapped up for paint.

Now on to showcase some awesome parts:

*Torqueboard's beautiful mounts on black caliber trucks. I'll be going for a stealthy all black look.

*Two waterproof esc's and the programming card.

Also got my two Turnigy 192kv 6374's these things are massive compared to my little 5065.
Sent these and my motor pulleys to my cousins machine shop to have everything machined.

I'm looking at running 14/40, 16/40, or 20/40. This will give ratios of 2.8, 2.5, and 2.0.
My current board with the 5065 is set at a 2.5 ratio but I would like a little more speed.

The only thing I'm waiting on is to paint the board, 12" wide grip tape, and my urban kit from beetbocks.

Thanks for viewing guys and gals!

Just wanted to throw up a quick post of my current ride until I get this one up and going.
It started as an eBay special with a homemade housing.

It held up well all of last year around campus. However, since I have decided to sell it to help fund this build I decided to give it a quick revamp. I wrapped the board in some of the most realistic carbon fiber vinyl I've ever found. I also add in an awesome vacuum formed abs cover which I bought off of psychotiller.

Specs:
-42" deck
-carbon fiber vinyl bottom
-vacuum formed abs enclosure (sealed up water tight)
-6s3p lipos
-Hobbyking 150A ESC
-Turnigy SK3 5065 280kv
-Voltage display
-Tractor Supply Ignition key
-XT60 charge port
-Red 83mm flywheel clones
-Enertion drive kit
-Red Caliber trucks

Hello everyone I'm back with more updates! The board is up and running (only single motor for now). I did a little run up the hill at the house last night and I am loving the 5" wheels and the 6374. This thing actually will accelerate up hill where my little 5065 would just slowly die. For the paint on this board I went a little different direction then everyone else. Since I plan on taking this board off road some I wanted something that would be tough. I decided to give some bed liner a shot. I found some Duplicolor Bed Armor at my local O'reilly's auto parts and used that. I did three coats of bed liner waiting about 15-20 min between coats. I did not coat the top of the board because I was unsure of how the grip tape would stick to the bed liner. After I let the bed liner dry for a few days I went over the whole board with some Minnwax gloss clear coat on the top and bottom. I did three coats of this as well. The bed liner by itself came out pretty flat in finish (which I didn't mind) I was worried about it having alot of texture since most bed liners do. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it came out as smooth as regular paint. The clear coat gave the bed liner sort of a semi-gloss look to it. Combine all the hidden electronics, black board, black wheels, and black motor mounts/ trucks this thing looks super stealth. My dad has named it the "Concealed Carver", I think it fits the board pretty well lol. On to the pictures!!

This shows a layout of everything that comes with the urban 5 hub kit from alien drive systems, along with the optional tire changing tool which I highly recommend. The kit came with 4 hubs, 4 tires, 4 tubes, a pack of bearings, and a pack of bearing spacers. Richard has done a great job with this kit and I absolutely love the 5" pneumatics over the 83mm urethanes feels like there is a cloud on each corner of the board. Also love the way the pneumatics cut and carve. These things are super responsive and the board just instantly goes where you point it. I think everyone needs 5" pneumatics!!!!!!! Sorry for the messy work bench but hey don't all DIYers have messy benches somewhere!?!

Top view shows the board with grip tape and the hatch on. Not sure why the back wheels look weird in this pic they are actually straight lol. While I wait on my second hub adapter and wheel pulley to come in I decided to try front wheel drive since my last board was RWD. I haven't ridden it much but initial impressions are it pushes less around corners, pulls you over objects instead of pushing you, board feels better on hard acceleration because of the pull instead of push factor.

Overall view of the bottom. Shows the charge and balance ports on the right for the two 6s batteries and the removable keyed ignition switch on the left. Also shows the finish of the bed liner (board is a little dirty).

These two show an overall height of the board and how slim the enclosure looks. Overall height from the ground to the top of the board is exactly 5.75". Clearance between the bottom of the enclosure and the ground is exactly 3". This is all without any kind of risers what so ever. I should also mention that I get absolutely no wheel bite with this board. I also want to say that I really like the HobbyWing ESC vs my old Hobbyking ESC. The hobbywings startup sequence is much faster, motor noise in general seems quieter, and braking is a lot less screechy than the hobbyking. I would defiantly recommend this ESC.

Overall specs:
-Custom deck
-Caliber 50 degree trucks
-SK3 6374 192kv motor
-16/40 gearing
-Hobbywing 150A waterproof ESC
-Voltage display
-Removable ignition key
-Charge/balance ports
-Alien Drive Systems black 5" hub kit
-Torqueboards motor mount
-FWD (for now)

Hello everyone,

I haven't posted in a while but I've still been keeping up with the fourms. Just figured I would update everyone on this board. It is up and running dual diagonal 6374's on 6s 10ah. The board has plenty of power to haul me around and my longest trip so far has been 7 miles with plenty of juice left my top speed on that run (and ever) was 24mph. Here are a few pics of this build and some vids of my two boards rolling around outside of Boston, Ma while on a business trip.

Had to chop the video into two parts because of Youtubes time limits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BPLWcRCm5Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcNVBVH1y0s

Planning on my next build being an E-Mountainboard. I come from a big snowboard/wakeboard background so I like the idea of doing wheelies, jumps, and what not. Does anyone have any advice on which board to start with. I deff want something with some suspension.

okp I really dig the trampa stuff but it's pretty pricey. Then again I've been doing some shopping around and it seems like I'm going to be paying out a decent amount of cash for the type of setup I want. I really just want to buy the board I want the first time and not have to upgrade too much later down the line. I was thinking about the 35 long.... http://www.trampaboards.com/35-long-trampa-deck-on-infinity-trucks-with-hypa-wheels-velcro-bindings-black-667-mountainboard-p-12307.html#

lox, thanks man the pics came out pretty good to just be shot with my phone lol.

Back