10S custom skate ESC: testers wanted!

Speaking of datalogging: would the 4.7/4.8 hardware be capable of determining/measuring ripple Voltage? Would that be an idea to add for performance monitoring or do you feel there's no need for that?

Dr_T said:
Speaking of datalogging: would the 4.7/4.8 hardware be capable of determining/measuring ripple Voltage? Would that be an idea to add for performance monitoring or do you feel there's no need for that?

Hello Dr_T I'm starting to believe that the current measurement is probably the biggest pitfall of REV 4.7 now that I have had quite a bit experience building the board, taking them apart and swapping our many DRV's.

I'm curious, when you get a FAULT_CODE_DRV8302 if this is causing your DRV to go bad, or is there some form of reset you provide to get the ESC to work again after this fault?

I notice I get a FAULT_CODE_DRV8302 when providing multiple throttle input commands with the wireless 2.4ghz transmitter to fast back to back. I also seem to get a DRV fault I believe when getting some back EMF from the motors when going down hill or spinning without throttle input causing current to flow back to the ESC.

A second issue i've encoutered is loosing 5v off the PPM rail and I must replace the 5v TVS diode to get have it function again. I'm not a technical engineer or electronics engineer by trade so I would need to have vedders input here to understand a bit more whats going on.

I'm curious if this all being caused by to much back current and voltage spikes into the DRV. I do not have a scope at the moment to test the results of the ripple voltage or back EMF.

vedder said:
Dr_T said:
Hi guys, trying to get the BLDC tool running on a linux (ubuntu 14.04 LTS) thumbdrive, following the instructions on vedder.se, but it's not going as planned..., see below. Am I missing some qt5 install? I googled a bit on installing qt5, but I have no idea what I'm doing really. Any help?

You MUST install synaptic package manager FIRST before vedders online ubuntu install guide.

You an download synaptic package manager in order to update and get the latest dependencies for QT5 and OpenOCD.

This is most likely the reason why you are having the issue. I noticed this is required when booting on USB thumb drive versions of ubuntu 14.04 to properly configure the VESC. I have considered writing a new install guide for the method which I use for ubuntu 14.04 via USB bootable thumbdrive.

jamesonotc said:
Dr_T said:

Hello Dr_T I'm starting to believe that the current measurement is probably the biggest pitfall of REV 4.7 now that I have had quite a bit experience building the board, taking them apart and swapping our many DRV's.

I'm curious, when you get a FAULT_CODE_DRV8302 if this is causing your DRV to go bad, or is there some form of reset you provide to get the ESC to work again after this fault?

I notice I get a FAULT_CODE_DRV8302 when providing multiple throttle input commands with the wireless 2.4ghz transmitter to fast back to back. I also seem to get a DRV fault I believe when getting some back EMF from the motors when going down hill or spinning without throttle input causing current to flow back to the ESC.

A second issue i've encoutered is loosing 5v off the PPM rail and I must replace the 5v TVS diode to get have it function again. I'm not a technical engineer or electronics engineer by trade so I would need to have vedders input here to understand a bit more whats going on.

I'm curious if this all being caused by to much back current and voltage spikes into the DRV. I do not have a scope at the moment to test the results of the ripple voltage or back EMF.

Hi James, my DRV faults just cause time-outs, like with over-current faults, after which I can drive again, so no damage to VESC. My VESC did "freeze-up" twice, after which it became completely unresponsive and did not even connect to the BLDC tool anymore, so I have no fault codes on that. After disconnecting and reconnecting power, VESC worked again. I only started having the DRV faults and freezes after using FW1.12 (but also changed some Current, Current back-off, and RPM settings to get more power out - not sure yet if that could have been a factor too). Before that, I only had abs over-current faults.

Yeah, was just wondering if the hardware is able to determine ripple Voltage, as that would give some extra info for diagnosis and fine-tuning set-ups.

jamesonotc said:
vedder said:
Dr_T said:
Hi guys, trying to get the BLDC tool running on a linux (ubuntu 14.04 LTS) thumbdrive, following the instructions on vedder.se, but it's not going as planned..., see below. Am I missing some qt5 install? I googled a bit on installing qt5, but I have no idea what I'm doing really. Any help?

You MUST install synaptic package manager FIRST before vedders online ubuntu install guide.

You an download synaptic package manager in order to update and get the latest dependencies for QT5 and OpenOCD.

This is most likely the reason why you are having the issue. I noticed this is required on fresh installs of ubuntu 14.04 to properly configure the VESC. I have considered writing a new install guide for the method which I use for ubuntu 14.04 via USB bootable thumbdrive.

Thanks for the heads-up. With some trial-and-error I got it to work; I have no clue about Linux, but posted the steps I did here too, about a week or two ago, in case anyone ran in to similar problems.

Dr_T said:
Yeah, was just wondering if the hardware is able to determine ripple Voltage, as that would give some extra info for diagnosis and fine-tuning set-ups.

I'm on the hunt for a oscilloscope for my workbench as we speak. I'd like to measure some of the voltage spikes on the scope to determine if these spikes are causing some problems back to DRV shunt amplifiers. I believe this is where I will find the problems... by tracking backwards from here.

I've been jumping pretty deep into the electrical components and hardware design this recent week and now starting to see I must learn more :D.

This is my first experience with brushless motor drivers and current measurement.

Nordle said:
Hey short question,
is it possible to harm the VESC if I connected receiver wires wrong?
I connect like this:
RX(arduino) -to- VESC
gnd ------------------- gnd
signal ---------------- +(5v?)
5v pin ----------------- signal
could that cause damage to my vesc?-.-
or should the signal pin can handle 5volts? the arduino was broken just changed it

see what happens https://vid.me/JkB1

Sry for repeat but I have no Idea why I can't controll my VESC trough arduino or standard RC remote, only BLDC tool is working.

Hey short question,
is it possible to harm the VESC if I connected receiver wires wrong?
I connect like this:
RX(arduino) -to- VESC
gnd ------------------- gnd
signal ---------------- +(5v?)
5v pin ----------------- signal
could that cause damage to my vesc?-.-
or should the signal pin can handle 5volts? the arduino was broken just changed it

Hi Nordle,

How are you trying to control the VESC? With PPM control? Or through UART?

PPM mainly, but in my dispear I tried UART and every other setting to -.- Also tried with standard RC transmitter meanwhile, without success...
That wheel wants to spin=>
~edit~ got my RC remote working right this moment 2mins after this post

@Nordle:

You should connect

Gnd -> Gnd
Signal -> Signal
5V (VESC) -> unconnected, unless you need to power something from the VESC +5v line

Hey there,

Got some bad news. I did some tests on my desk on 6S which was fine. I then went to 12S. It started to be fine, motors were rolling for like 10 seconds, then I tried to go full throttle or at least to give it a boost... and the motors started to do a weird noise. I stopped the power. I just hit the power back and now only one motor is "trying to roll" but not correctly. This is VESC2. VESC1 (which is primary) is no more giving instructions to its motor. I tried 6S back, same situation. Just don't know what is happening. I went back to BLDC and try to detect the motors, not working, I am hearing a ultra ultra light "beep" but that's like almost 2 decibels.

How can I troubleshoot this ? Is there a way to see if the VESCs are not fried ? Motors are 190KV and VESC are FW1.8.

I will be able of course to try the motors on another ESC (the APS from my usual eSK8...) but just wondering how can I move forward. Especially because all was working fine except when I gave the boost on 12S - no weight or constraints on the wheels.

Here's the video.

[youtube]dURZaGs-DUs[/youtube]

Had exactly the same problem at the weekend, same behavior. Reason was that one of the motor cables (on the master motor) was not properly connected due to bad soldering on the plug. Resolved it and everything was fine. No error was shown in the terminal tab in BLDC tool when it happened. Took me a while to find out...

damn, unfortunately it was not the motor cables. My VESC ID 1 DRV is fried. I put back PPM, disabled all the canbus communication, on my second VESC to see if it was still alive. I used 6S. The second VESC is alive with no error fault code. Seems that the ID1 VESC has taken all the damage.

Not sure this is working on 12S dual VESC; anyone have already tested this or am I prototyping :D

The following faults were registered since start:

Fault : FAULT_CODE_DRV8302
Current : -2.6
Current filtered : 7.9
Voltage : 22.23
Duty : 0.02
RPM : 211.0
Tacho : 6
TIM PWM CNT : 4863
TIM Samp CNT : 4869
Comm step : 5
Temperature : 24.28

Current : -0.1
Current filtered : -0.0
Voltage : 22.20
Duty : 0.19
RPM : 755.5
Tacho : 11
TIM PWM CNT : 8585
TIM Samp CNT : 8591
Comm step : 4
Temperature : 24.28

Current : -1.2
Current filtered : -0.0
Voltage : 22.21
Duty : 0.19
RPM : 10.0
Tacho : 12
TIM PWM CNT : 6017
TIM Samp CNT : 6023
Temperature : 24.38

Current : 0.3
Current filtered : 20.4
Voltage : 22.09
Duty : 0.14
RPM : 456.0
Tacho : 17
TIM PWM CNT : 9489
TIM Samp CNT : 9495
Temperature : 24.31

Current : -1.0
Current filtered : -0.1
Duty : 0.13
RPM : 11.0
Tacho : 35
TIM PWM CNT : 9551
TIM Samp CNT : 9557
Temperature : 24.33

Current : -0.2
Current filtered : -0.4
Duty : 0.17
RPM : 10.0
Tacho : 36
TIM PWM CNT : 10656
TIM Samp CNT : 10662
Temperature : 24.36

silviasol said:
Any news on V4.8?

Rev4.8 hardware and firmware 1.13 was released Sept 17th by Benjamin. I was awaiting a reply back after his testing on his buggy rc with 12s to confirm the go ahead on production for future testing.

In the meantime you can prowl the github to get the BOM and Gerber files.
https://github.com/vedderb

There were some minor trace changes to the DRV and some hardware changes to 4.8 for better current measurement/amplification to start implementing Vector control (FOC).

I've sent a message to Benjamin to verify 4.8 is ready for me to make PCB and start getting manufacturing done for testing.

Once I hear back I will note 4.8 is a go, unless Benjamin beats me to it.

Version 4.8 with cap pcb attached. Latest firmware loaded. Should be ready in 10-14 days.

screenshot-2015-09-29-10-46-35.jpg

onloop said:
Version 4.8 with cap pcb attached. Latest firmware loaded. Should be ready in 10-14 days.

screenshot-2015-09-29-10-46-35.jpg

can you use a BLDC version 1.0 with a version 1.13 VESC?

Tempted to try to get a handful of these built and assemble them myself... Looking through github i don't see the triple capacitor PCB? Anyone have a link to github where the gerber files are? I would like to swap a couple v4.7 boards to them while i'm at it...

Thanks to Jamesonotc for the SMB tutorial and how-to yesterday! Great to see how it's done and it's not as intimidating! thx man!

Hi guys,

today a made a very short test drive with fully loaded battery. I drove 50 meters straight and than some meters down hill... rolling no break no acceleration. After maybe 15 meters I tried to accelerate (speed was slow, around 5-10 km/h) but it didn't work, so I tried to break just to see that there is any response and this works. After that I wanted to accelerate again but than the motor was just cogging for about one second and than the motor was dead. I switched the VESC off and on again. The VESC blinks and I can connect the controller but there is no reaction of the motor.
I connected the VESC to the BLDC tool and it gives me this error: FAULT_CODE_DRV8302

Does that means the DRV8302 is destroyed and has to be replaced or is there any other workaround? :cry:

FYI: Yesterday I made al longer test run about 3-4 km, and everything was all right. Only the temperature was a little bit high.
My setup: MTB, NTM 50-60 220kV motor, 6s5p Li-Ion IMR18650, VESC, transmission 8:60

Hopefully somebody can help me, best wishes
Boesi

I wonder how many of these failures are due to counterfeit electronics. It isn't unheard of for a manufacturer to use cheaper counterfeits if it will get them by.

I just received a big order from mouser :D I'll have to see if I can produce the same failures with quality parts. Could it be that the DRV8302 needs a heatsink?

boesi said:
Hi guys,

today a made a very short test drive with fully loaded battery. I drove 50 meters straight and than some meters down hill... rolling no break no acceleration. After maybe 15 meters I tried to accelerate (speed was slow, around 5-10 km/h) but it didn't work, so I tried to break just to see that there is any response and this works. After that I wanted to accelerate again but than the motor was just cogging for about one second and than the motor was dead. I switched the VESC off and on again. The VESC blinks and I can connect the controller but there is no reaction of the motor.
I connected the VESC to the BLDC tool and it gives me this error: FAULT_CODE_DRV8302

Does that means the DRV8302 is destroyed and has to be replaced or is there any other workaround? :cry:

FYI: Yesterday I made al longer test run about 3-4 km, and everything was all right. Only the temperature was a little bit high.
My setup: MTB, NTM 50-60 220kV motor, 6s5p Li-Ion IMR18650, VESC, transmission 8:60

Hopefully somebody can help me, best wishes
Boesi

Sorry to hear that :-( With 6s the VESC will run hot since it is far from optimal, but it should not fail on your setup.

What were the current limits? Did you run the motor configuration? Where did you get the vesc? What kind of capacitor were you using and how close did you put it?

G'day All

Sorry to bust out with a post like this in one of my very few, but I have been building my longboard for a long long time now and am having some difficulties with a couple of VESCs, and was hoping some of you could help me out.

I have two VESCs that I setup following all of Vedder's steps in his tutorial. I had no major issues with the process of uploading the VESC firmware, and the setting up the BLDC Tool (great tutorial Vedder). Both boards are rev 4.7 and have version 4.6/4.7 firmware @rev 1.13. I initially started testing of the VESCs using a 12V power supply but have since moved onto a 48V power supply, both rated at 10A. I have had a good look at the soldering and components on the VESCs and cannot see any issues that would be causing the problems I am having. I have never made it past trying to detect the motor parameters on either controller. I have tested 2 190kV R-spec motors and one SKM3 5060 (240 kV ??) with each VESC.

VESC 1
The issue I am having with the first controller is that during the parameter detection sequence the motor initially spins slowly (maybe 10 revolutions in 6 seconds) and is very rough. After the initial spin up the motor vibrates loudly and moves at best 10-20 degrees. It does this twice before returning bad detection results and failing to detect the motor parameters. Both the blue and green LEDs stay on during the detection process and the red LED doesn't appear to flash. No faults are returned in the terminal window of the BLDC Tool. I have tried adjusting the low duty value (to a max of 0.20), and the current (up to 6 A) and min ERPM (up to 750) with no significant change. I have also tried a solution from this forum (I think 777arc, is to credit) to ensure that no application is selected for the VESC in the application window.

VESC 2
When I start the parameter detection process on the second VESC, the motor will initially give a quick kick, and then quickly coasts down to a stop. After this you can hear a weak noise from the motor but the motor doesn’t move, this happens twice. The red LED flashes 3 times during the process, once each time the motor starts (or tries to), and then the parameter detection fails. When I check the 'faults' log in the BLDC Tool, I get:

The following faults were registered since start:

Current : 110.1
Current filtered : -1.7
Voltage : 8.03
Duty : 0.00
RPM : 1.1
Tacho : 8
Cycles running : 6
PWM cycles : 6
TIM duty : 263
TIM val samp : 131
TIM current samp : 26505
TIM top : 52747
Temperature : 27.10

Current : 1.5
Current filtered : 70.2
Voltage : 6.01
Duty : 0.03
RPM : 4769.5
Tacho : 11
Cycles running : 109
PWM cycles : 8
TIM duty : 1160
TIM val samp : 609
TIM current samp : 21453
TIM top : 41687
Comm step : 2
Temperature : 29.86

Current : 20.4
Current filtered : 100.4
Voltage : 5.43
Duty : 0.01
RPM : 4862.1
Tacho : 137
Cycles running : 94
PWM cycles : 11
TIM duty : 657
TIM val samp : 325
TIM current samp : 24277
TIM top : 47904
Comm step : 2
Temperature : 30.07

I'm guessing this might be a faulty DRV8302, but it seems a little different to the normal DRV fault descriptions I have read.

Thank you to you all who have contributed the VESC and this forum and thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers,,

Scoobiext

Back