Turnigy Multistar - lightweight 10C cells

They have their 10ah 4s packs on sale for half price, $30 each now. I ordered 6 of them. That's 20 cents per wh.

Glad I jumped on that deal. Price is back to $60 each for the 4s 10AH Multistar packs. Save $90 on the three I bought. Mine should be here today. Hope to get some riding time in this weekend and we'll find out how they do.

I can't believe the size of these things! Wow. They are heavy, but I will have double the AH in the same space as before. they are a bit wider and longer than the 4s 5ah hardpacks, but not by much. Hopefully they will function well enough. I only need to have about 8ah for my rides, so hoping they will provide enough amps. I'll miss not having to use a wiring harness, but the HXT plugs have scared me a few times as it is too easy to plug the batteries into each other. The XT90 plugs seems bomber too.

Attachments

• 20150819_195836_HDR.jpg
    20150819_195836_HDR.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 3,991
This gotta be a steal 20s1p for 155 dollars or full 24s1p almost 1kw for 172 dollars! :lol:

I will try these goodies out soon in the hope that they will manage the load and ampacity I need.
They also just got out of surgery for new 4mm zombiebullets from a carnaged chargeplate. LOOKING all Green allright!

Whoooooottaaaaa new range from a 21s4.8ah(200cycles ), 20s4.2ah(750 cycles hardcases) And the new 20s10ah(0cycles) will be hardcore mode 30km/ mediumhardnormal mode 45km and superrange 60km 8)

dirkdiggler said:
I can't believe the size of these things! Wow. .... double the AH in the same space as before.
I'm having the same reaction. If I had ordered that many, I could fit 12 batteries (40Ah) in my saddlebag, with room to spare.

20Ah multistars in saddlebag.jpg

I will be able to replace the 10Ah of hardcases that are mounted on my frame with 20Ah of these multistars, assuming I can adequately pad them.

Has anyone else mounted these on their frame? If so, how are you padding them to give adequate protection? I wrap my hardcases in quarter-inch flexible foam, but I'm not sure that's adequate for these soft packs. I was wondering if I should build some sort of improvised hard cases for them out of hard plastic or formica or something. Any ideas?

Alan B said:
Photos in my CroBorg thread from early in this year.
Found it, thanks!
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=34929&p=605594&hilit=coroplast#p605594

Where do you get your coroplast?

Thank you very much!

Has anyone else had puffers yet? The one I got with the low cell finally puffed up while I was out and hadnt touched it for 2 weeks. My mum said there was a funny noise in the shed.... doh. Did I just nearly burn my mums shed down? Was only at 3.85v never went below 3.3v never over 4.2v and cycled 20-30 times.

bionicdan said:
Has anyone else had puffers yet?
Knock on wood, no puffers yet. But I've only taken them on a couple hard rides so far. None of the six had any low cells when I first got them, so maybe I got lucky.

No puffers here, but I haven't even used them yet. Just got the bms for them and haven't got a 24s charger yet. I'm going to cut off the XT90's and replace them with 4mm bullets before I wire them to the bms. I did just depuff a 3+ year old 4s hardcase pack and its held up good for a couple of cycles.

wesnewell said:
No puffers here, but I haven't even used them yet. Just got the bms for them and haven't got a 24s charger yet. I'm going to cut off the XT90's and replace them with 4mm bullets before I wire them to the bms. I did just depuff a 3+ year old 4s hardcase pack and its held up good for a couple of cycles.

Hey Wes, can you give some more details? What does "depuff" mean and how did you do it? I have some turnigy 6s's that are trying to puff just a little.

Also: what's your BMS? I bought a BMS and am considering adding it to my LiPo....it would be so nice to ever only have to bulk charge....

jkbrigman said:
Also: what's your BMS? I bought a BMS and am considering adding it to my LiPo.
Which one did you buy, jkbrigman? (And also interested in knowing which one Wes bought.)

darth_elevator said:
jkbrigman said:
Also: what's your BMS? I bought a BMS and am considering adding it to my LiPo.
Which one did you buy, jkbrigman? (And also interested in knowing which one Wes bought.)

This one:
http://bestechpower.com/222v6spcmbmspcbforli-ionli-polymerbatterypack/BMS-D163.html

I'm thinking about pairing it with Turnigy Multistars. But I'm worried about pack puffing.

Depuff means I took a small straight pin and very carefully poked a hole in the foil punches to squeeze most of the air out of them and then took some packing tape and closed the hole. When I was going to check capacity, one cell went to 3.0V before the others, which were up to one at 3.56V. Not wanting to take the time to get them all to 3.0V I then charged it and it took 4369 mah. The pack was reading 3% soc before charging, so it wasn't really empty yet. Since I never checked capacity when they were new, I don't know how much, if any capacity is lost in the 3+ year old packs, but I figure it's about 90% now. This pack was the worst balanced of the 13 I bought new and it had puffed so bad it cracked both side of the plastic case. I was surprised when I got the pouches out that they were pretty uniform in their puffing and it was a combination of them all puffing that cracked the case.

wesnewell said:
Depuff means I took a small straight pin and very carefully poked a hole in the foil punches to squeeze most of the air out of them and then took some packing tape and closed the hole.

Thanks Wes! I'll give it a try on mine. They really aren't very bad, but I'd like to try "depuffing" to help me maintain performance of the pack.

Well, I'm kind of reckless, just be aware that if you stick that needle in to far the pouch could ignite on you. So be very very very careful not to do that. I just happened to have a straight pin handy. Something sharp and non conductive would be a lot safer.

wesnewell said:
Well, I'm kind of reckless, just be aware that if you stick that needle in to far the pouch could ignite on you. So be very very very careful not to do that. I just happened to have a straight pin handy. Something sharp and non conductive would be a lot safer.

Agreed. I regard this operation as being extremely dangerous. I have some spare cinder blocks I am using to make a small platform and do the work on that platform.
I was going to angle the pin as parallel-to-the-wall of the cell as possible to keep it away from the battery internals. Does the location of the pin prick matter?

jkbrigman said:
This one:
http://bestechpower.com/222v6spcmbmspcbforli-ionli-polymerbatterypack/BMS-D163.html
Thanks!

I did my puffers at the top along the side under the fold. Pinned it almost at the top and hot glued it shut folding over the flap. No more puffer or any leakage. that is on the Turnigy 6s 20c packs or 4s hardpacks. Not my Multistars.

I sure wouldn't think you could draw enough amps with a 6 fet that would hut the Multistars.

Dan

jkbrigman said:
Agreed. I regard this operation as being extremely dangerous. I have some spare cinder blocks I am using to make a small platform and do the work on that platform.
I was going to angle the pin as parallel-to-the-wall of the cell as possible to keep it away from the battery internals. Does the location of the pin prick matter?
I did the outside cells in on the flat sides and the inside cells on the edges. I tried to puff the section here I was going to poke first by squeezing the cell in other places.

darth_elevator said:
jkbrigman said:
This one:
Thanks!

It's going to be awhile before I integrate the BMS: I have to effect repairs to my existing packs, and I'm considering some Multistars.
But installing it is on the to-do list and I'll report back. I have two Meanwell LED supplies, the 340 watt ones and I'm eager to make them my primary chargers. They work great with no BMS and the current ramps down REEELY nicely (Alan B has threads on this) but I think a BMS might give the benefit of shutting off at the right spot.

I'll report back, because this topic is not without debate. Some feel a BMS on LiPo is just asking for trouble out on the road. I'm looking to see if that opinion is more important than protecting the pack.

wesnewell said:
jkbrigman said:
Agreed. Does the location of the pin prick matter?
I did the outside cells in on the flat sides and the inside cells on the edges. I tried to puff the section here I was going to poke first by squeezing the cell in other places.

DAND214 said:
I did my puffers at the top along the side under the fold. Pinned it almost at the top and hot glued it shut folding over the flap. No more puffer or any leakage. that is on the Turnigy 6s 20c packs or 4s hardpacks. Not my Multistars. I sure wouldn't think you could draw enough amps with a 6 fet that would hut the Multistars.

Dan

This is great information gents. I'll follow up later with what I end up doing.

I was thinking of maybe ordering a pair of these 20Ah 6s packs from HK europe to test. As they are in sock as of now.
However, the price is about 129Euro if you get the discount by waiting for the popup. (143Euro otherwise)
So that means 260Euro for 12s20Ah, pretty nice... But the 18650 29E cell can be bough from nkon for around 2,5Euro each for numbers that match the capacity.

Apart from the extra work of building the 18650 pack, you actually match the cost of these lipos in this case.
I imagine the packs would behave similarly under load, but most likely a higher capacity with for example 12s8p 29E cells. (96cells)
With my prior experiences of HK lipo cells suddenly going dead or arriving half-dead, I didnt bite this time.

Back