Giant Reign 2 Full Suspension + BBS02

Phife

10 W
Hey All,

Long time lurker and recently joined. I learned a lot from this group and decided to share my build.

Its a 2008 Giant Reign 2 Full Suspension bike, Ive got a Bafang BBS02 48V 750w, and a bottle battery pack from BMSBattery. At the time I bought the kit in June they had the best price and while it was a risk buying from them, I actually had got my kit quickly and without issue.

The kit fits perfectly in the frame, just enough room to clear the rear shock and still be able to remove it by sliding up. I had to drill new mounting holes in the bracket as they were too high up, but that was no problem. Im not using the brake cutoffs as I have hydraulic brakes and they are not easy to add the magnet sensor to. Im mostly riding trails, xc and single track with throttle only. I Bought the programming cable so I was able to have throttle on PAS0. I also have the Lekkie 42t chainring, Its much improved over the stock, I highly recommend it if you can afford it.

I have all summer of riding it and its been great! Ive ridden it on roads around town and easily do 40kph on the flats and 50pkh downhills and im still able to pedal, going up hills is no problem either, on or off road. I havent found a trail or hill yet that I couldnt climb. Plenty of power for the type of riding im doing and having the weight balanced and low I think is key to having a great riding trail Ebike. Ive not had any reliablility issues or any issues with my chain line, everything seems perfect, and since I mostly use throttle to help on the trails I can control when I shift as not to mash up my gears, although even in PAS I dont have much issue shifting under power, just gotta be smart about it.

I recently added a small DC-DC converter to regulate the voltage from the 48v battery to the 8.4v my Headlamp uses, now I can power the lights from the same battery as the motor.

Bike weights 48lbs as you see it here, Rider is 210lbs with gear. Battery always has plenty of juice even after several hours of riding, I only use the motor occasionally or to help climb, I pedal all of the time. I was able to go around 50km on the roads on a full charge and still had a bit of battery left.

If you guys have any questions of comments feel free to leave them!

Thanks everyone!

Attachments

• IMG_20150925_150345.jpg
    IMG_20150925_150345.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 6,594
  • IMG_20150925_150501.jpg
    IMG_20150925_150501.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 6,594
I like it, clean install!

Very nice. How are you finding the bottom bracket clearance with the low hanging drive? My drive sits in a similar position but is on a 29er. I rarely bottom out but if I do, the bike tends to just skip over the obstical anyway.

Thanks Guys,

Kepler you've been a great help in getting my bbs02 programmed. Thank you for your efforts!

As for my BB clearance, I was worried about the low hanging motor, but after putting over 500kms on it this summer mostly on trails I can say it hasnt been an issue. Any logs or rocks I usually jump over pretty easily, Larger ones I walk the bike over. Havent had a single hit yet. I hit my pedals all the time though. lol

Ive been reading some complaints about the BBS02 and the chain falling off. I havent had any issues with the stock or the Lekkie chain ring.

Nice job, I almost bought one of those to mod, it looks so good.

Excellent build choices! That has to be a fun ride!

Tyler durden said:
Exactly what battery are you using?

What kind of range are you getting?

Thanks

Im using the cheap BMSBattery.com dolphin battery. Panasonic cells, it was rated at 11.4Ah 4P13S

Im getting about 45km/28miles in a full charge on city paved trails, cruising around PAS 3-4. Power really drops off towards the end. Its hard to measure the range when im riding single track as im using throttle only and I do a lot of pedaling and use the motor to help with hills. I can get in 2-3 hours of riding and still have 40-50% charge.

On the one hand I would like to see more watt hours than that, BUT on the other hand, what a clean looking bike! nice.

LyonNightroad said:
On the one hand I would like to see more watt hours than that, BUT on the other hand, what a clean looking bike! nice.

Me too, Im going to pick up a 52v pack from Luna, that will increase the range with an easily swapable, much more capable battery.

Im probably going to end up putting a cyclone 3000w Kit on this bike though, the BBS02 will go on the GF's bike.

Always liked the Giant Reign your build looks excellent,i lived on klo road in kelowna and i know for fact theres a gazzillion trails there you can ride. i did it all by pedal power in the mid nineties :D .

WizeArtz said:
Hi there, love the Reign! What front chain ring arey you using? 47T?
Thanks, Owen

Lekkie 42

Back