E-GO by Yuneec Internationl

It's also a production board and of course everyone is going to climb hills with it. You have to change the gearing for it to ride better uphill and use a lower KV motor (which they did Yuneec).

With only 29v you forfeit the top end speed due to the lack of voltage and not using a second motor but that's the price of buying this board.

You can have it all for $699 except top speed - max 14mph but you can climb 10-15% hills slowly. Which isn't a bad trade off IMO. For them, it's safe the board works great on flats or uphill and it's "supposedly - reliable" (I don't have one so don't know).

In other words, if you want top speed and you want a beast of a board. You obviously, wouldn't buy a Yuneec E-go. By the time you are doing modding it and changing it out. You still would have been better off buying a better eboard and/or building a better/faster eboard. The price will be very similar $699 + $120 Battery Pack + $50 Motor = $869.00.

The price of $869 is also heavily off since a APS motor wouldn't cost $50. Also not including shipping costs.

Pretty neat mods though but just food for thought.

I personally would just keep the E-go (stock setup) and build another board. No sense in putting a perfectly decent board in the graveyard to make a Frankenstein.

torqueboards said:
I personally would just keep the E-go (stock setup) and build another board. No sense in putting a perfectly decent board in the graveyard to make a Frankenstein.

I find the E-go an ideal prototyping board to test various parts before integrating them into a new board created from scratch. Obviously the 'Frankenstein' is not the end-goal. It is easy to test new motor mounts, test a new ESC, test your own transmitter/receiver, test hub-motor wheels and so on to the E-go. That way you don't need to worry of assembling everything during prototyping.

I'm very interested in upgrading the e-go.

I think it is a fantastic platform and the ESC/controller is why I would like to continue to use this board.

If I upgrade the batteries, can I continue to use the charger the board came with?

If I understand correctly, the top speed increase would come from a larger battery back (more voltage, above 29v). The torque/hill climbing ability would come from a high Kv motor?

Pretty new to the electric scene but trying to learn as much as possible.

eboostin said:

I think it is a fantastic platform and the ESC/controller is why I would like to continue to use this board.

If I upgrade the batteries, can I continue to use the charger the board came with?

If I understand correctly, the top speed increase would come from a larger battery back (more voltage, above 29v). The torque/hill climbing ability would come from a high Kv motor?

There are quite a bit of upgrades for the E-Go. Most of the upgrades are actual more complicated upgrades and you might end up spending more than building your own.

Good luck! Share your build :)

I'm not opposed to building my own it's just important to me that the controller and esc be very user friendly.

It seems the Yuneec is good because of the hall sensors and the potentiometer, at least from what I have read on here and my own experiences. I have not used a trigger or joystick controller yet but the range of adjustment on the potentiometer leads me to believe that the other styles would not be as precise.

@torqueboards What are some of the upgrades available for the yuneec? It seems there has been a lot of talk about hypothetical upgrades but I haven't seen any here or anywhere I have looked.

What route would you go if DIY? Thanks is advance.

I should mention my goals too. I am looking for anywhere from 18-25mph top speed and a range of 25-30 miles.

I don't want to use LiPo and would prefer a simple charging solution, like a laptop charger (similar style as the E-go).

eboostin said:

has anyone figured what voltage the esc can do? probably the same as what the batteries are rated for. 29v is better than 22! And what amps can it take? the motor very likely could take more voltage and maybe more amps. Does it get hot?
can you switch the wheel size on it?

low kv, given same gearing, and better torque. less speed.

what kind of upgrade to the batteries would you do? I doubt the speed of the e-go is solely limited by the c-rating of the batteries, so if you got nicer batteries with a higher c rating it might not do anything. Maybe it would. No one has tested it seems so far. It would kill the batteries quickly though.
If you were to up the voltage, which you could do with the batteries you have by reconfiguring them and putting more in series, maybe you'd short the esc or something (have no idea what goes on in them). Maybe it'd go faster. Probably go faster then short :lol: .
cant someone call them and find out the esc voltage limit? or maybe it's an amp limit configured in the throttle setting or something. Or maybe a true amp limit as the components are getting too hot already. or maybe someone here knows by looking at the esc parts what it's limit is.

I think it's a great board with it's charging ability.

It would be tough to reach your goals while using a Yuneec E-Go. You would pretty much scratch the entire board and start new.

Yuneec E-Go is an entry eBoard which is 12-14mph and 20 mile range or so.

DIY would be your option for anything over 20mph and for added range.

For ESC, you can use VESC (harder to get since still in beta). I should soon have 12S Sensored ESCs + 12S Sensored Motors.

The trigger throttle is really nice. Something like a GT2B in a smaller form factor would be perfect.

If you don't want to use Lipo. Your other route is to wire your own 18650 pack with a BMS and/or purchase a similar one like onloop's pack.

I should have a 12S pack with on-board battery charging soon.

I have modified my goals.

Only looking for about 15mph top speed and I am fine with a 10 or so mile range.

Ideally for the first round of mods, I am changing the motor and maybe the motor pulley.

The E-Go is 13T motor, 35T wheel.

If I switch to a new motor (http://diyelectricskateboard.com/product/electric-skateboard-sensored-epower-motor-5065-170kv-2200w/) and a 12T motor pulley (http://diyelectricskateboard.com/product/12t-htd5-motor-pulley/), that should get me net me more torque, correct?

who knows?
I've been asking on here for ages: what decides the power output? I've seen people add higher c rating batteries to get more power, but what about using a higher wattage motor or higher rated esc? I'm guessing adding a bigger motor will "draw" more, and the higher c rating will "push" more, and the bigger esc is like a valve that can "open" more. so anything and everything will affect?

With the E-go though I think there's a D shaped motor shaft. You'd need to modify the motor shaft. I'm also not sure if E-go is sensored, I think it is.

I believe, Jacobbloy made a post in the past and modified his E-Go.

Power is dictated by all the parts combined.

Isn't E-Go normally 12-13mph.. Is the added 2mph worth modifying?

Higher wattage motor or higher rated esc only matters if the battery is capable of delivering the output.

I am also an E-GO owner

I love the board for the money but it definitely lacks some what up hills & top speed

I'm so glad I've found this site, a new build will be underway after a bit more reading :D

Thought i would share this with you all after reading this thread.....

as ghetto as it gets i know... but thought i would try my E-go on 10s today....

As we all know it's way underpowered and as far as i know, nobody actually knows what voltage the ESC will take without burning up...

as i find it that boring to ride now i don't even use it!!

so i thought i would be the guinea pig and give 10s a go

2 x 5s in series
max speed 19mph
hill climbing power is ridiculous compared to the standard pack
silly fast acceleration (i had to flick it over to ECO to tame it down a bit)
After 3 miles of stop starting to check temps, the ESC & Motor were no warmer than with the standard 7s battery

How long the ESC & Motor would last i don't know! (not very long i suppose)

I Don't think 10s is something i would run permanently but im definitely going to try an 8s setup and see what happens :roll:

if you are take some photos of the pcbs i can check the components for which voltage they are rated.

I've done a lot of experiments modifying E-Go with single and dual motor setup, with and without sensors.
Here is a dual-motor setup, with the $299 dual Benchwheel power kit and dual VESC that I hand-soldered. The acceleration and speed feels similar to my dual 2000W Boosted Board, but I haven't measured top speed yet.

This E-Go setup uses custom BLDC motors that have build-in capacitive encoders by CUI. The encoders would work with upcoming FOC changes by Benjamin and those encoders have much more detail compared to Hall sensors: 4096 pulses per revolution (http://www.cui.com/product/components/encoders/incremental/modular/amt11-v-kit) and they are not sensitive to dust (unlike optical encoders by Avego).

fuelre said:
if you are take some photos of the pcbs i can check the components for which voltage they are rated.

Will do, it would be nice to know.

Ive been out again tonight and done another 6 mile ride on 10s... ESC was lukewarm at best!

The motor was warm, but no more so than when using the original pack

erwincoumans said:
I've done a lot of experiments modifying E-Go with single and dual motor setup, with and without sensors.
Here is a dual-motor setup, with the $299 dual Benchwheel power kit and dual VESC that I hand-soldered. The acceleration and speed feels similar to my dual 2000W Boosted Board, but I haven't measured top speed yet.

This E-Go setup uses custom BLDC motors that have build-in capacitive encoders by CUI. The encoders would work with upcoming FOC changes by Benjamin and those encoders have much more detail compared to Hall sensors: 4096 pulses per revolution (http://www.cui.com/product/components/encoders/incremental/modular/amt11-v-kit) and they are not sensitive to dust (unlike optical encoders by Avego).

Do you know What sort of motor could be used and wired with the original ESC?

The ESC seems to be performing ok on 10s... a motor upgrade would make it the perfect board for me

@jakeyb, this is actually very interesting to me. I've got a lot of people asking whether they can swap their E-go motor with my hub. I told them I dont know because I dont have an E-go. Now thinking of buying one, doing your mod and swapping the motor. Cool thing is that the wheels are already 90mm.

Sounds good...it would be great if the motor could be changed, i have no idea when it comes to the electrical side of things just yet, if it had normal 3 wire brushless motor connectors i would try it.

Does anyone know what the red and white plug is for that connects from the ESC to the original battery pack?

I've just been out again but was getting some motor pulsing at full throttle under load, what causes that ?

I was going to sell it ....but if the motor can be upgraded and i can keep the ESC/Receiver and controller, i will definitely be keeping it :D

Thanks...i've emailed Bruno at AD to see if he can sort me out a 9 pin upgrade motor, Happy days if he can,it could end up being a half decent board for the money!

Pediglide said:
@jakeyb, this is actually very interesting to me. I've got a lot of people asking whether they can swap their E-go motor with my hub. I told them I dont know because I dont have an E-go. Now thinking of buying one, doing your mod and swapping the motor. Cool thing is that the wheels are already 90mm.

I still have your dual hub motors here (they work fine with my custom patch). I could hook up a single motor to the original e-Go ESC, if I find some time.

I've used the hub motor with dual VESC on the E-go with original battery, works fine.

That's cool Erwin! Yeah, that will great. Really interesting about modding an E-go with dual hub motors and VESC. That's like less than a Boosted Dual plus and you get great range.

erwincoumans said:
Pediglide said:

I still have your dual hub motors here (they work fine with my custom patch). I could hook up a single motor to the original e-Go ESC, if I find some time.

I've used the hub motor with dual VESC on the E-go with original battery, works fine.

Erwin, I'm looking into modding my E-Go to make it go faster and I'm still relatively new to the whole e-board scene. If I bought: http://www.amazon.com/Generic-Electric-Skateboard-Power-Pack/dp/B00WQP5P48 and attached it to my E-GO, would it work? Thanks!

Back