Post your DRAG RACE ebike run !!

teslanv said:
Time to revive this thread...
I'll join you.

Nice job on the times! Looks like you have built a faster bike since Silent Thunder.

Let me know when you're planning on going to the track and I'll try to come out.

The slip on the right was my first time that had a higher speed. The one on the left had a faster time but lower speed since it was my second race.

20140908_162912.jpg

Scott said:
teslanv said:
Time to revive this thread...
I'll join you.

Nice job on the times! Looks like you have built a faster bike since Silent Thunder.

Let me know when you're planning on going to the track and I'll try to come out.

The slip on the right was my first time that had a higher speed. The one on the left had a faster time but lower speed since it was my second race.

I have your run on video in some phone backup. Your bike was faster than many EV cars that day.

Hey Luke, very glad to have your results posted here

look like the bar is set a bit high for most of us now :lol:

Maybe we should split that thread in a Hub motor and non hub motor :D

Now John in CR must post a time slip here with the hub monster!!

Some of the Next will probably be my 2WD MXUS + adaptto and traction control system activated...

Doc

Last week drag race on the 1/8 mile with slope!

11.793s on the 1/8 with slope!

file.php

DSC04232.JPG

510416-piste-toute-pente-challenge-255.jpg

[youtube]LYniYz8OQmc[/youtube]

Doc

Awsome!

these numbers are really nice!

Your 1/8mile and 1/4 mile are very good! You could improove a bit your 0-60ft and get better time :wink: was you using full phase current?

Witch setup did you had and what was batt and phase current?

DOc

Excellent Barent! :wink:

I am very impatient to post new 2016 result here!
from now i run very safe setup and no extreme mod done yet. But august will be the month of GOING EXTREME ELECTRIC! :p

Pimped ultralightqweight Zero, true test on the 2WD setup and test on dual controlelr single 205 setup

Doc

Nice runs Alan and DrBass!

Both your 1/8th mile times are very similar.

Looks like I need to get a faster deathbike 8.0 to the strip soon to keep up.

liveforphysics said:
Nice runs Alan and DrBass!

Both your 1/8th mile times are very similar.

Looks like I need to get a faster deathbike 8.0 to the strip soon to keep up.

A deathbike 8.0 ! omg.. I just can't forget the epic sentense: "And you know the bike is dangerous...." :twisted: !

I am very curious to see how my 200 pounds Zero with size 6 and 75-7 motor and sleeper cell 13 pound 70kW battery will run! as well as my Nyx ebike!

Oh and my 11.7s on 1/8 was on a drag strip that the last half is a posotive slope!! my ebike had to climb it!Here is me against a 400 lb-ft Chevy spark EV:

[youtube]z5kX1hlp4TQ[/youtube]

Doc

now that my hubmonster ebike is tunned in i gotta do this.. I don't think i'll hit the drag strip..

Need to figure out something i could use to time myself.. there must be a app for that right? lol

-steveo

steveo said:
now that my hubmonster ebike is tunned in i gotta do this.. I don't think i'll hit the drag strip..

Need to figure out something i could use to time myself.. there must be a app for that right? lol

-steveo

yes, plenty of apps, some are more precise than other. some use Both intrernal GPS and internal accelerometer.

when the drag strip is closed and that ineed to measure, i use my Vbox GPS (10Hz sampling ultra high precision)

Doc

Here is my last test on the drag strip... limited power to 60% due to Sevcon controller cut out (need to improove PID tuning)

13.2s on the 1/4 at 91mph and 8.20s on the 1/8 mile ( but with throttle reduced for the first 100m, because i wanted to avoid controller cut out.

Doc

Attachments

• 20160813_125137 (Personnalisé).jpg
    20160813_125137 (Personnalisé).jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 3,675
13.2sec is fast Doc! Congratulations!

Watt an awsome day !!!! I did my best run today at Pont Rouge raceway with my Modified Zero!

12.2s 1/4 at 92mph and
7.3 1/8 at 87.4mph and
1.6s on 0-60ft) at 85% power.

From what i know THAT IS THE QUICKEST EXISTING ZERO !... from what i know.. MPC-G class of NEDRA has now 12.2s ! next step is to modify the gear ratio, but today i wanted to know what is the max i can get out of the rear 132T. Next time i'll install the 98T. and 200 T belt. The first half of the 1/4 is very good but the second half my aceleration is very low... So gaining top speed with the faster gear ratio and raising power to 100% i should be able to keep the first 1/8 in the mid 7s but will get in the low 11s or even high 10s with better top speed to about 110-115mph
[youtube]iVMPBnfhukM[/youtube]

8)

Doc

Attachments

• 20160918_161007 (Personnalisé) (2).jpg
    20160918_161007 (Personnalisé) (2).jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 3,574
  • 20160918_172810 (Personnalisé).jpg
    20160918_172810 (Personnalisé).jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 3,574
  • Zero Wheelie Bar.jpg
    Zero Wheelie Bar.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 3,574
Here are all my run of Today with various Power limit so you can see the pregression.

The most significant difference is the shift from 50% to 75% power witch droped my 1/4 time by 1.5s !!!

warming up run( first run): 14.09s at 50% power
next run at 75% power: 12.52s
third run still at 75% power: 12.46s
4th run at 85% power: 12.29s

incressing from 50% to 75% reduced by 1.5s (not enough power to meet top speed... ( the 50% power limited max speed ))
incrasing from 75% to 85% reduced by 0.2s.. here, 10% more reduced by 0.2s
if that relationship is still in the linear reagion, i could expect to reach the high 11 with 100% with the actual gearing... BUT... the is limited speed due to the stock actual low speed gearing. I will make a change and replace the rear 132T by the 98T witch will in theory raise top speed to 132mph is that relationship is linear but we know it is not and power will limit this value to lower result.. I expect about 110-115mph and mid 11s for the next attempt

Doc

fechter said:
Way to go!

Looks like there's no battery in the bike :eek:

Ah haaa! in fact there is one as you know.. it is just that it lost 180 pounds weight!!... I now use a battery that i built from the Sleeper cell from LonestarEV racing from John Metric. These are true 100C.

Today after 7 runs to 670Amp (75C rate) the battery was about 45 degree C only!

I got peak power to 48kW running only on 22s while the Zero normally use 28s.... yes a little 9Ah battery!

Doc

liveforphysics said:

Luke what do you think about 12.2s at 85% controller limit ? 8) ... and 1.6s on the 0-60ft!

Look like my 1/8 mile is VERY VERY close to your Death bike. but the actual gearing make my 1/4 mile to suffer on teh second half.. i'll make the neccesary change! and test again!

Doc

that battery is impressive!

Very Very nice bike Doc!!

Congrats, i know the time and effort you put in to it and you deserve the great results you get..

a quick video for you to celebrate!

https://youtu.be/OTj3aMDw_eI

-Steve

Félicitations !

You know that but I feel compelled to tell anyway :

Drag race is all about the start, dont go too far with gearing.
Did you experiment with field weakening ?
Maybe it can allow you to keep high ratio gearing( belt) and still gain speed at the end.
But chances are that you already did this.

Regards

Doctorbass said:
liveforphysics said:

Luke what do you think about 12.2s at 85% controller limit ? 8) ... and 1.6s on the 0-60ft!

Look like my 1/8 mile is VERY VERY close to your Death bike. but the actual gearing make my 1/4 mile to suffer on teh second half.. i'll make the neccesary change! and test again!

Doc

That is a fantastic time Doc! I think I had the previous Zero record riding my fathers 3 brick DSR with a 12.70. Now I've got to make my 2016 DSR beat a 12.20 in daily-driver trim with 12.5kWh and a supercharger. :)

You may get a little something from the gearing change, but unlikely to be more than a few 10th's. This is because the first 60ft of the track is what determines just about everything for getting a low ET, and from there you just need to not blow up and you get a low time.

The reason is because traveling the back half of the track you're already up to speed, so the total time you're on it is very short. Even if you magically accelerated to infinite mph after the 1/8th mile it only saves you a possible few seconds. If you accelerate faster right from the point of 0mph, that portion of thrust impulse delivered stays to your advantage through the whole duration of the quarter mile rather than just a second or two of traveling at a higher speed down the back-half of the track.

Essentially, if you want to have stupid low ET's, focus on the first 1/8th mile, and the same amount of improvement in impulse delivered will continue to benefit your time through the whole duration of the race where your vehicle spends most of its time. The crude drag racing guestimater that is generally pretty darn accurate is to assume it's worth 0.3sec off the total 1/4 mile ET for every 0.1sec shaved off the 0-60ft time. This ratio amazingly tends to hold true for vehicles over a really wide range of times, like 6-7sec dragsters to 20sec vehicles.

Do anything you can to get phase current up and decrease air pressure or change to drag specific tires to get traction.

I will try to inch the record back with my daily commuter bike when I get some free-time to hack on my own stuff again. lol

Great work my friend!
-Luke

liveforphysics said:
Doctorbass said:
liveforphysics said:

Doc

That is a fantastic time Doc! I think I had the previous Zero record riding my fathers 3 brick DSR with a 12.70. Now I've got to make my 2016 DSR beat a 12.20 in daily-driver trim with 12.5kWh and a supercharger. :)

You may get a little something from the gearing change, but unlikely to be more than a few 10th's. This is because the first 60ft of the track is what determines just about everything for getting a low ET, and from there you just need to not blow up and you get a low time.

The reason is because traveling the back half of the track you're already up to speed, so the total time you're on it is very short. Even if you magically accelerated to infinite mph after the 1/8th mile it only saves you a possible few seconds. If you accelerate faster right from the point of 0mph, that portion of thrust impulse delivered stays to your advantage through the whole duration of the quarter mile rather than just a second or two of traveling at a higher speed down the back-half of the track.

Essentially, if you want to have stupid low ET's, focus on the first 1/8th mile, and the same amount of improvement in impulse delivered will continue to benefit your time through the whole duration of the race where your vehicle spends most of its time. The crude drag racing guestimater that is generally pretty darn accurate is to assume it's worth 0.3sec off the total 1/4 mile ET for every 0.1sec shaved off the 0-60ft time. This ratio amazingly tends to hold true for vehicles over a really wide range of times, like 6-7sec dragsters to 20sec vehicles.

Do anything you can to get phase current up and decrease air pressure or change to drag specific tires to get traction.

I will try to inch the record back with my daily commuter bike when I get some free-time to hack on my own stuff again. lol

Great work my friend!
-Luke

Thanks alot Luke!
As you explain i am working hard to understand and decide witch change i have to make to get in the 11s and even lower.

Some key numbers here that make me think i could get better number without major modifications are:

-85% max phase current for 1.6s 0-60ft = ?s for 100% phase current ( if it is linear i could expect at least to drop to 1.5s

-87mph at the 1/8 mile and only 92 at the 1/4..... this is very slow!...... knowing that the best i could get even with 92mph all the way from 0ft to 1320 ft is 9.7s so with infinite acceleration but limited to 92mph my best possible 1/4 is 9.7s

Common numbers from NEDRA stats that i have averaged are that for 11s on the 1/4 i need about 110mph

Luke i have changed my gear ratio from 4.4:1 to 3.5:1 so the torque at the wheel drop by 25% while top speed increase to approx 115mph..

But the good new is that i still can put max current to 100% ( remember.. it was only to 85% from now!)

so this mean a drop of torque by 25%..( new gear ratio) but an increase by 15%( more phase current used) = a loos of 10% torque but i get better top speed...

I have some dyno test i made with these two config.. i will post these soon.

Doc

Excited to see your dyno plots and new time slips!

Back