E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

fsmuggen said:
I started on my "yearly service" on my fighter this week, and I have fractured the steelframe on the battery box once again at the same spot it was fractured last time. Is it only me that have problems with frame fractures? I'm only 65kg and I don't think that's to heavy?

Yah, that's weird, I am 118kg and hadn't had any issues with my Fighter frame. I did crack my Bomber frame on the seat post triangle where it bolts to the frame. In Stealth's defense, I rode off a 6 ft (2m) cliff and landed hard in a icy creek bed. My seat post was up to high and I slammed my butt on that thing on the landing. I notice your seat post is raised very high, that may have something to do with it. Post a pic for use when you get a chance. If you are the original owner, Stealth will repair or replace your frame as its comes with a life time warranty to the original owner.

Nice job on the repaint Stritzky
God dammit all this talk of cracking frames, had a close inspection of mine
And yes the frocking seat triangle has a hair line in it along where it meets the frame,
Must b all them wheelies :twisted:
Another job for over winter

I know stealth will reapair the frame for free. Last time they repaired and reinforced the frame, but I think It's to far to ship it around the globe for a smal welding job, I'll have it repaired localy this time I think. Nice repair stritzky.

fsmuggen said:
I know stealth will reapair the frame for free. Last time they repaired and reinforced the frame, but I think It's to far to ship it around the globe for a smal welding job, I'll have it repaired localy this time I think. Nice repair stritzky.

Yes I know Stealth repairs the frame for free to all Original Owners. But the shipping is expensive and the time it takes for sipping it back and forth :-( I did the entire job in 10 days from I discovered the crack to I had the bike back on the road. And for less than 50 USD. Because i did all the work myself.

stritzky said:
fsmuggen said:

Yes I know Stealth repairs the frame for free to all Original Owners. But the shipping is expensive and the time it takes for sipping it back and forth :-( I did the entire job in 10 days from I discovered the crack to I had the bike back on the road. And for less than 50 USD. Because i did all the work myself.

Well if you got the skills, its better to fix yourself so you can keep riding, but still report it. With my Bomber, I had cracked the triangle on the seat frame, repaired it and kept riding, Stealth sent me a brand new part as soon as they had a run of them. Didn't cost me a penny.

All these reports of Frame failures! I wonder how many we are not hearing about here?
I also had my seat-post sub frame crack about a year and a half ago and prior to that about 3 years ago my rear shock mounts ripped off the frame because they forgot to weld a support when making my frame.
Makes me glad I'm still the original owner of my Fighter for the lifetime frame warranty.

Cheers

Cowardlyduck said:
All these reports of Frame failures!
CD,

How high do you run your seat? I know owners should be able to run it high (in case they need/like to pedal hard), but obviously that can make the load 2x or 4x more.
What do you weigh, and what's the spring rate on your rear shock?
What supports (were missing) for the shock mounts?
What is the serial/build number of your Fighter?

Emmett said:
How high do you run your seat? I know owners should be able to run it high (in case they need/like to pedal hard), but obviously that can make the load 2x or 4x more.
Depends. I change it sometimes mid ride, but generally not very high. I'm still using the original carbon seat-post from Stealth. I got about 2" cut from it so I could run it lower soon after I bought my bike, so it's far from being run high.

Emmett said:
I'm 75KG. My current shock (which is the original from Stealth) doesn't have a spring. It's the DNM from the older Stealth Fighters.

Emmett said:
It was one internal support on the inside of the shock mount. There should be 2, but mine only had one.

Emmett said:
Well the original was #66, but my whole frame was replaced after the shock mounts ripped off in 2012, so the number doesn't correspond to the frame age.

Cheers

Emmett said:
Cowardlyduck said:
All these reports of Frame failures!
CD,

Yah, I am running my seat just 4 inches off the seat tube, that said, if I get a dropper, I wouldn't raise it any higher, and I would have the advantage of dropping the seat all the way down to the top tube. Emmett, is your seat dropped clear down on the seat tube, or are your running it a couple of inches high?

Rix, I trimmed the bottom of my seat post, and epoxied a carbon stopper ring around the post so it cannot possibly push down too far and break the air valve off my (X-Fusion) shock res. In the full down position the seat rails are still a couple of inches up from the steel support. In full up position it's high enough for a bit of pedalling to get home without e-power. But I'm only 5'9 so I get away with the low seat. When the bike is working normally I sit for corners where I need to lock in or elsewhere if smooth enough ground, and otherwise I stand up.

It has to be difficult for Stealth to design a light weight frame but also a frame/seat support which will cater for a huge range of users. I presume they've had to beef it up and make it heavier in later versions. I'm sure mine will be strong enough for my weight and usage. Even without a low seat, with good suspension I'll guess the peak loads are less than half. Perhaps much lower again.

Emmett said:
Rix, I trimmed the bottom of my seat post, and epoxied a carbon stopper ring around the post so it cannot possibly push down too far and break the air valve off my (X-Fusion) shock res. In the full down position the seat rails are still a couple of inches up from the steel support. In full up position it's high enough for a bit of pedalling to get home without e-power. But I'm only 5'9 so I get away with the low seat. When the bike is working normally I sit for corners where I need to lock in or elsewhere if smooth enough ground, and otherwise I stand up.

It has to be difficult for Stealth to design a light weight frame but also a frame/seat support which will cater for a huge range of users. I presume they've had to beef it up and make it heavier in later versions. I'm sure mine will be strong enough for my weight and usage. Even without a low seat, with good suspension I'll guess the peak loads are less than half. Perhaps much lower again.

The replacement seat triangle sub frame I got for the bomber was made 1mm thicker sheet metal and more welds. Its very difficult to make a one size bike that fits everyone. I have seen riders on Stealth bikes from 5'4 to 6'2 and it works, albeit the 6 foot plus guys probably find the bikes on the smaller side of maximum ideal. I am 5'11 and 270# pounds with my camel back and the machines are perfect for me. I have not hurt my Fighter at all. Maybe riding technique has something to do with it, I am on the pedals standing up a lot.

So no shit, there I was, bleeding my brakes on the Fighter. After my latest vid and ride with Dad, my brakes, especially the rear were feeling spongy and the lever travel was going clear to the hand grip. Did the front first, was easy. Bled the brake in 10 minutes and it works and works perfectly. The rear, well, going to share this, even though I am calling myself out as a short yellow bus riding retard :? . From 2-5 pm on Monday I had fussed with the rear brake only to have it feel very spongy and not work. On Tuesday, another 3 hours, and still felt spongy like I had air bubbles in the line. Wednesday, and for the 20th time, I attempted to bleed the brakes, and they just felt spongy, lever going clear to the handle bar. Friday, came home on lunch, and still couldn't get the damn brake to work for shit. Keep in mind, I know how to bleed brakes and have been doing it periodically on all my motorcycles and vehicles since the 80s. Could not figure out what the problem was with my rear brake on my Fighter. I even ground off 3mm on my magura transfer device which Voice Coils had sent me. Nothing was working. I just knew I had air in the system. I was even contemplating putting heat shrink around the brake line ends where they connected to the lever and caliper, just because I was pissed off and racking my head trying to get this solved. The whole time, I was cussing a storm up, at this point spending about 13-14 hours trying to un fuq my rear brake. I was close to emailing Magura and asking them WTF. Well today, Saturday, 6 days later and about 15-16hours, I saw it. I saw what the problem was. Just a tiny bit of movement on the plunger screw. On the lever, there is a little star key (Torx) plunger screw, its what pushes on the master cylinder plunger that pushes the fluid to the caliper which actuates the brakes. That little tiny MOFO screw was loose and backed out a little it. So, I tightened that up, bled the brakes, and presto, they work and work very very well. In fact, they are more sensitive then the front because I had shimmed 3mm off my transfer device. Anyway, I shared this because if save someone else 16 hours of trouble by checking the brake lever plunger screw, its worth it, even at the price of me looking like a tard. :roll:

What a pain Rix ! Do you use the genuine Magura fluid or will other brands (of the right type) work just as well ?

I have another question for both Stealth owners and Flux builders; I use regen a lot, whenever I can, just to shave off speed on descents prior to or in addition to applying brakes. However, rather than a separate regen button as per the stealth bikes, or even incorporated in brake levers as some do, has anyone made a twist throttle with a neutral position, a very short spring return forward twist action for regen and a normal back twist for motor power, with spring return to neutral? Or something like this even with single rotation all back twist but with the first few degrees of twist for regen before hitting motor power and spring loaded back to the stop position where you hit regen, if you let it travel that far. I believe the Tesla cars might work something like this where the accelerator pedal works both motor power and regen when released. And is it just me, or are the half grip twist throttles more tiring to hold on than full length units ? What possible advantage are the halfies supposed to have?
JB

Well I have MC background and rode 2/4 strockers since I was like 12 so I never got the point of half twist and thumb throttles. I do get tired in the arm when operating them, especially when on a commute, so full twist is the way to go for me.
About regen when releasing the throttle. I think Magura/Domino throttles have this option.

Allex said:
Well I have MC background and rode 2/4 strockers since I was like 12 so I never got the point of half twist and thumb throttles. I do get tired in the arm when operating them, especially when on a commute, so full twist is the way to go for me.
About regen when releasing the throttle. I think Magura/Domino throttles have this option.

Yah Sundrive, what Allex said is exactly the same for me. Full twist rules over half twist.
What a pain Rix ! Do you use the genuine Magura fluid or will other brands (of the right type) work just as well ?

As far as brake fluid goes, I just use the Magura royal blood. I think any brand of mineral oil could work though, just not DOT 3, 4, or even 5.

kiwiev said:
Hey Rix

Nice video riding with your dad that must be so cool mate.

Cheers Kiwi

Thanks Kiwi, I know its not a good as yours and CDs, but it shows some of the terrain with in 90 minutes of my house. My dads a pretty cool guy. Even at 70, he enjoys an after ride beer.

Hi folks,
Thought I would chime in quickly re last two topics.
I currently have a cracked seat sub frame at top right bolt. I and am waiting for a replacement seat sub frame from Stealth. I am avoiding sitting down and am also keeping a close eye on the crack.

Regarding regen. I have a micro switch on my rear brake lever that is activated late in the brake lever pull. I have used a spring-out pin onto the micro switch that eventually releases it and activates the regen. This significantly improves rear braking performance such that I rely on it a lot and rarely turn it off via a second on/off button next to the regen on button.

Also Tubliss still going strong, no issues! Heaps better than a tube that would be worn out again now.

Cheers,
Clinton

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=69603&start=150

Rix said:
kiwiev said:
Hey Rix

Cheers Kiwi

Thanks Kiwi, I know its not a good as yours and CDs, but it shows some of the terrain with in 90 minutes of my house. My dads a pretty cool guy. Even at 70, he enjoys an after ride beer.

Rix your home turf looks nice and flowing my dad is 69 and keen to come down and have a ride :D

CD and I plan to do a Video in the next month or so before the snow melts completely on Mt Kosciusko its Australia's highest hill just over 6000ft :lol:

Cheers Kiwi

Check my Sonic EV thread I posted a photo you may like.

kiwiev said:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=69603&start=150

Rix said:
kiwiev said:
Hey Rix

Cheers Kiwi

Rix your home turf looks nice and flowing my dad is 69 and keen to come down and have a ride :D

CD and I plan to do a Video in the next month or so before the snow melts completely on Mt Kosciusko its Australia's highest hill just over 6000ft :lol:

Cheers Kiwi

Check my Sonic EV thread I posted a photo you may like.

Mt Kosciusko is the highest point in OZ? I would really like to see some video of you and CD snow riding that. Would be cool. The video I made with my dad, my truck was parked at 5900 feet, we started filming at 8100 or so.

i was super impressed, feels punchier than the previous battery, perhaps a higher c rating? i wonder what LiPo cells they are using.

i guess i expected it to be more tamed in exchange for the range but they did an amazing job, I appreciate how they are consistently making incremental improvements.

Back