Stary Wanna-Be Using Pediglides Single Hub Motor

mccloed

100 W
So I tried to copy Stary, kinda. The board doesn't look that great from the bottom but it's pretty thin. I used six of the single cell 5000mah from HobbyKing with a BMS. I've only hit 25mph, so far, but there is definitely more throttle to be had. It's only 12.2lbs and I can get about ten miles per charge as long as I don't push it too much. I usually average about 15 - 18mph.

Attachments

• IMG_1440.JPG
    IMG_1440.JPG
    14.1 KB · Views: 3,497
  • IMG_1439.JPG
    IMG_1439.JPG
    13.8 KB · Views: 3,497
  • IMG_1438.JPG
    IMG_1438.JPG
    14.3 KB · Views: 3,497
  • IMG_1437.JPG
    IMG_1437.JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 3,497
  • IMG_1431.JPG
    IMG_1431.JPG
  • IMG_1435.JPG
    IMG_1435.JPG
    19.4 KB · Views: 3,497
  • IMG_1433.JPG
    IMG_1433.JPG
    15 KB · Views: 3,497
  • IMG_1434.JPG
    IMG_1434.JPG
  • IMG_1435.JPG
    IMG_1435.JPG
    19.4 KB · Views: 3,497
awesome simplistic board!

any pics of the inside? I was wondering how you wired the BMS to be able to use a laptop style charger.

Also which BMS is it?

That looks like a bamboo board I got from Amazon. It was cheap. Very flexible.

How did you make the bottom, is it carbon and epoxy ?
Can u open it up ever!?
Very nice

Hummina Shadeeba said:
That looks like a bamboo board I got from Amazon. It was cheap. Very flexible.

How did you make the bottom, is it carbon and epoxy ?
Can u open it up ever!?
Very nice

Thanks!

I believe it is an 8 ply maple board. Not very flexible until I routed out the center. Then I put two layers of carbon fiber in the routed out part. The whole outside is just vinyl covering to make it look cool. I can open it by removing the vinyl and all the screws underneath, but I kinda made it to commute to work 6 miles away so I would never have to open it. I just charge when I get to work and I'm good to go. I might even be able to get to work and back on one charge. It averages a 1/2 volt per mile.

Oo.
Board rich with stuff.
I also want to know bout ur bms which enables the laptop charger. Could be really cheap and convenient. How much was the bms and could it do 10s. I was into doing the bms and also looked at them on alibaba and then... Need to see it to make the idea more concrete and feasible.
How's it do with the single motor? With it being still a somewhat high kv do u think it draws a lot more amps and ultimately gives a decreased range compared to a kv that more so matches the top speed? Maybe 6s is better than 10s Because your battery is composed of more amps than volts and that's what it needs. If u can't get up to the high speed the volts enable..wasted energy?

Mccloed is definitely some sort of Irish Ninja. He puts all of this cool stuff together in his sleep and never remembers how he did it! :shock:

This is the BMS/PCM I used: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/A-22-2V-PCM-Protection-Circuit-Module-For-6S-Li-ion-Li-Po-Battery-Current10A-SM519/32308029349.html

I may have to take the board apart anyway. I think I wired the BMS incorrectly according to an eBay listing I found. :? :shock: :oops:

So, I'll take pic's this time.

mccloed said:
This is the BMS/PCM I used: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/A-22-2V-PCM-Protection-Circuit-Module-For-6S-Li-ion-Li-Po-Battery-Current10A-SM519/32308029349.html

I may have to take the board apart anyway. I think I wired the BMS incorrectly according to an eBay listing I found. :? :shock: :oops:

So, I'll take pic's this time.

Thanks for the link, I'm also trying to buy a proper BMS for my first build...

However I'm really confused; Your BMS has a current of 10A... isn't that too low? I have same batteries and just one motor, and I was thinking of a 50A BMS... Since I thought that using a 10A BMS means that everytime your motor demands more than 10A, it will cut off the current flow!
Please, if there is somebody more experienced around, give us a hint :roll:

I wired it so I'm only using the balancing feature, I think. I can't for the life of me remember how, though. :?

As @psychotiller said, " He puts all of this cool stuff together in his sleep and never remembers how he did it! :shock:"

10 mile range from 5000mah, that's nearly double what I'm getting. How is this possible! Could my belt drive system be causing that much drag? or is your ride completely flat? haha....i'd die for 10+ mile range

It actually makes sense to me...If I'm running a 3:1 geared system that means my motor is turning 3 rotations for every single rotation of my drivewheel. If you have the same battery/motor/esc/wheel as the sleepwalking ninja your motor may be working less to get you going because of the gearing, but it's spinning 3 times as fast and working more to go the same distance.

psychotiller said:
It actually makes sense to me...If I'm running a 3:1 geared system that means my motor is turning 3 rotations for every single rotation of my drivewheel. If you have the same battery/motor/esc/wheel as the sleepwalking ninja your motor may be working less to get you going because of the gearing, but it's spinning 3 times as fast and working more to go the same distance.

This makes complete sense... I now need hubs

Don't forget the awesome coasting distance. If I see a red light about 50 yards away, I can just put it in neutral and coast to get there. This is coming off from a 20mph speed and dual hubs. The single hub has even less resistance.

psychotiller said:

Attachments

• pulp_fiction-big-brain-brett-11.jpg
    pulp_fiction-big-brain-brett-11.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 3,090
How's the clearence from the motor to the deck when you lean in for a sharp turn? I ask because I was originally looking for a drop through setup like this but couldn't find anything that gave sufficient clearance with these hubs.

Back