VESC Open Source - Android App Features?!?!

So the UI is complete just need to add the new hall sensor updates that have been added recently.

Some of the photos are doubled up to show all the data.

Really I'm not the best at coding so I'm paying some one Vedder doesn't have much time but he has still offered to help!
This project will continue no matter what! But I need to ask if any one is willing to support this! Please contact me or Vedder and make a donation with a reference to the mobile app.
Android apk can be downloaded here for testing but it's just the UI.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bym9XrdeViekWlhXWmtacGxfUFU/edit?usp=docslist_api

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thanks every one for there support! If any one can join the project let me know!

That interface looks really good!

Is it possible to use bluetooth controllers with VESC yet? I would like to purchase one to use with an e-go controller. The e-go controller is pretty feature backed with vibration and light feedback especially in such a small size. The other nice looking remote is the Evolve if someone wants a trigger rather than a slide.

Evolve sells a bluetooth board but I know others have mentioned Arduino.
http://evolveskateboardsusa.com/collections/spare-parts/products/carbon-receiver-electronic-square

I'm helping Vedder redesign the wifi nunchuck PCB he is working on! It will have just as much features at your ego if not more! But I'm having it designed small and then it can use joystick trigger or slider, I want to get a library of 3d files!

Im a bit of a latecomer to this website, but im glad ive finally found it :)

As to this VESC - there seems to be alot of focus on the program-ability and connectivity of this esc but not much attention has been given to the basic physical problem of keeping it cool. All the functionality in the world wont mean much if it still overheats when being pushed hard. Why is there no significant heat sink or cooling system implemented in this ESC? Reason i ask is that i need a new ESC for a high powered skateboard build, i dont think this unit will be able to cut it for my purposes - any suggestions?

^^ I'm concerned about heat also living in the California Desert.

I have measured asphalt at 170 deg F

DIY/Torqueboards Motor and 12s ESC are handling it great. I have many rides in the 105 to 110 F ambient temp. Fairly long rides also. 5 to 10 miles.

Wonder if the VESC will be able to handle that.

Groper said:

As to this VESC - there seems to be alot of focus on the program-ability and connectivity of this esc but not much attention has been given to the basic physical problem of keeping it cool. All the functionality in the world wont mean much if it still overheats when being pushed hard. Why is there no significant heat sink or cooling system implemented in this ESC? Reason i ask is that i need a new ESC for a high powered skateboard build, i dont think this unit will be able to cut it for my purposes - any suggestions?

CSN said:
DIY/Torqueboards Motor and 12s ESC are handling it great. I have many rides in the 105 to 110 F ambient temp. Fairly long rides also. 5 to 10 miles.

You can add a heat sink to the processor, DRV8302 (brushless motor driver), and mosfets, but must be custom made using aluminum for good cooling. I made three different models through Autodesk Inventor and used the wind tunnel simulation to refine it to the best of my knowledge. CSN, you must be living near death valley. I assume you have temperatures that high especially during summer. Definitely a test of the VESC thermal capabilities.

chuttney1 said:
Groper said:

CSN said:

You can add a heat sink to the processor, DRV8302 (brushless motor driver), and mosfets, but must be custom made using aluminum for good cooling. I made three different models through Autodesk Inventor and used the wind tunnel simulation to refine it to the best of my knowledge. CSN, you must be living near death valley. I assume you have temperatures that high especially during summer. Definitely a test of the VESC thermal capabilities.

Chuttney do you have any photos/drawings of the heat sinks??

I was thinking of mounting the VESC(s) into a box with fan to cool it but the heatsink does a great job on the Torqueboards 12s ESC so heatsinks should be enough for the VESC also.

I am not quite as hot as Death Valley but it gets pretty hot in the Coachella valley which is Palm Springs area.

https://github.com/jacobbloy/BLDCAP...ogle.com/open?id=0Bym9XrdeViekVDRESlNPNzk2Z3c

i need the community help to connect a bluetooth module to the VESC and test that the current APK can connect search for bluetooth devices found in the settings tap of the APP and connect to the VESC bluetooth module.

the data that i need is:
You should pair devices and tell me the device type - it will be displayed something like "Service %TYPE%: %NAME%"
this is done all through the settings tab of the android APP.

Connecting bluetooth is easy and works with the same firmware as before without modifications. Just enable the UART app and connect a bluetooth-serial dongle (e.g. the rn-41 as found on the bluesmirf gold) to the rx and tx pins of the VESC. Something like this works to connect to it from ubuntu:
https://gist.github.com/xseignard/9367829
Then, in BLDC Tool, replace /dev/ttyACM0 with /dev/rfcomm0
Then you can use BLDC Tool as before, but over bluetooth.

^ I hope you are getting the help you need - this thread doesn't seem to have much response, recently. I'm waiting on parts and in the middle of trying to finish up a thesis, so it may be Dec before I can be of any use. Unless you consider bumping this thread 'use'. How is the app coming?

jacobbloy said:
https://github.com/jacobbloy/BLDCAP...ogle.com/open?id=0Bym9XrdeViekVDRESlNPNzk2Z3c

i need the community help to connect a bluetooth module to the VESC and test that the current APK can connect search for bluetooth devices found in the settings tap of the APP and connect to the VESC bluetooth module.

the data that i need is:
You should pair devices and tell me the device type - it will be displayed something like "Service %TYPE%: %NAME%"
this is done all through the settings tab of the android APP.

Connecting bluetooth is easy and works with the same firmware as before without modifications. Just enable the UART app and connect a bluetooth-serial dongle (e.g. the rn-41 as found on the bluesmirf gold) to the rx and tx pins of the VESC. Something like this works to connect to it from ubuntu:
https://gist.github.com/xseignard/9367829
Then, in BLDC Tool, replace /dev/ttyACM0 with /dev/rfcomm0
Then you can use BLDC Tool as before, but over bluetooth.

I'm really excited about all this; what's the status? I've just ordered a VESC and I plan building my first board next month.
Is there any guide on how to physically connect a bluetooth module to the VESC?

And more important, can we use an Arduino-BLE combo like BlueBean instead of an standalone chip?:
http://launch.punchthrough.com/bean/
How would the Arduino script look like in that case, given the fact that it would be in between Phone and VESC?
It's because I thought I could use that to control some leds and other non-VESC features using BLE.

I used Qt which is cross platform, any help would be great, really I got stuck on Bluetooth integration, the vesc can use a Bluetooth module to be programmed, but apps isn't where my skills are.

That would be great, basically what I have in git hub is just the Gui layout so I could see if I could convert it to be used in any software that you will use but then benefit of qt is the back end of this app will be slot quicker in integrate seems bldc tool was built in qt.

Messing around in QT, I got BLDCAPP and bldc_tool compiled. It seems you could use QBluetooth in place of serialport, reformat the forms to fit Android screen, and with some porting to SPP Bluetooth, you could compile BLDC_tool for android.

djodom1134 said:
Messing around in QT, I got BLDCAPP and bldc_tool compiled. It seems you could use QBluetooth in place of serialport, reformat the forms to fit Android screen, and with some porting to SPP Bluetooth, you could compile BLDC_tool for android.

do you want to have a talk on the phone Skype or others, I'm really interested in getting this finished.
pm me

eiprol said:
And more important, can we use an Arduino-BLE combo like BlueBean instead of an standalone chip?:
How would the Arduino script look like in that case, given the fact that it would be in between Phone and VESC?
It's because I thought I could use that to control some leds and other non-VESC features using BLE.

Yes it could be used, but then you have to get it wired up to go from QT running on the vesc, to this little Arduino, then back to the qt of the android app. This makes even less sense to do when you look at how vedder has actually set up the integration of custom apps into the chip itself. Specifically I am talking about this: http://vedder.se/2015/08/vesc-writing-custom-applications/. So while your idea would totally bring some advantages to the table (so thanks for bringing it up), none of these advantages would be something that we couldnt get out of QT already. I am not an embedded software developer so I would love some criticism on this point, but in my world converting between frameworks (QT -> arduino -> QT) is a REAL pain in the butt.

Yeah, there's no reason to introduce an arduino in the chain. bldc-tool, uart and CAN on the VESC all use the same serial protocol. You just need to get that protocol over bluetooth using a serial-bluetooth module.
Just put a custom bit of code in to the VESC that controls some DIO to turn lights off/on.

Sharkface said:
eiprol said:

Yes it could be used, but then you have to get it wired up to go from QT running on the vesc, to this little Arduino, then back to the qt of the android app. This makes even less sense to do when you look at how vedder has actually set up the integration of custom apps into the chip itself. Specifically I am talking about this: http://vedder.se/2015/08/vesc-writing-custom-applications/. So while your idea would totally bring some advantages to the table (so thanks for bringing it up), none of these advantages would be something that we couldnt get out of QT already. I am not an embedded software developer so I would love some criticism on this point, but in my world converting between frameworks (QT -> arduino -> QT) is a REAL pain in the butt.

Funny you should say this - I've been playing with this LightBlue Bean, iOS and VESC. I have it working perfectly to control the VESC, but cannot get serial data back. I'm pretty certain it's because I have to use the SoftwareSerial library, and it cannot cope with 2 way communication very well. It's dropping serial data and results in garbled mess of data coming back....I think.

I've just ordered an Adafruit LE UART friend http://www.adafruit.com/product/2479, hopefully this will just let me directly communicate to VESC without the Bean in the middle.

Hi,

For an ArduRemoteControl for the VESC I created a reliable library for the UART communication. But I use hardware Serial on the Arduino. The project is not yet on Github but comming soon. I can read out data and send all values with nrf24 to the remote. But it is no challenge to put a serial bluetooth module in the middle and use the library on other applications.

If required I can isolate the library and put her on github at weekend.

Andreas

I send Vedder a LE uart friend he was seeing if he could get communication between him computer and the vesc, I don't think that we need arduino inbetween but the code could be helpful!

Hi,

Here we go: https://github.com/RollingGecko/VescUartControl

Reviewers welcome.
If you want to add respectively complete handlers, please don't forget to send a pull request. :)

I use this library for a arduino based remote control like Nunchuk with information feedback. Comming soon.

Have fun.

Andy

Back