Tack weld BMC/MAC Clutch

snowranger

10 kW
My clutches have been breaking so often that I am thinking about throwing in the towel and tack welding them.

I have been playing around with a 50 amp 120V stick welder but cannot get enough penetration to make a weld. I am a newbie welder BTW.

Has anyone else done this? Should I get a 1/16" welding rod?

TIA

I've seen it done and work reliably for some several thousand km.

Your plastic/composite gears and key on the shaft will be the next weakest links.

Just take it to someone with a beefy welder, 3min job

Thanks. I'm not running excessive power. My daughter just likes to jam on the throttle.

snowranger said:
Thanks. I'm not running excessive power. My daughter just likes to jam on the throttle.

No worries, just keep in mind the motor will always be spinning afterward the mod so the extra drag from it will cause you to drain the battery a bit faster.

I never had any issues with geared motors, but I am very conservative with the throttle. I never even use the throttle from a dead stop, or at least try not to. It sure would be a bummer if my geared motor had such failures.

If this helps, I found a youtube video of someone welding the clutch. Welding is the easy part, but I am not sure how easy it would be to align or center the clutch before tack welding it. You could probably show this video to the local weld shop and inquire.. [Fast forward to 20:34 to see the welding process]

[youtube]t_O4pk4qONU[/youtube]

Thanks. I watched the video. Not as easy or straightforward as I thought. There seems to be a couple different versions of clutches out there.

Back