Cushman based build

I will look for the thread when I have a chance. This entire cart was welded with a 110v MIG. Most welding issues come down to simple things. Clean metal, basic technique, good gas, good visibility. If you can't see you can't weld. Some people get corrective lenses for the welder. I am near sided so when I take off my glasses I am just right. There are times when I actually put on reading glasses.

However, there is something with 110v machines often over looked. They weld better with .023/.024 wire! In fact they penetrate better because the welder simply works better with the thinner wire. For example, here is a backhoe bucket I built using the 110v MIG and .023 wire:

Bucket2.jpg

dig.jpg

tree2.jpg

I'm using a 240V stick welder and still developing my technique. I've also got a 120V wire welder here that's on loan from my dad and that has been used on this project as well but the welding we've been doing directly to the chassis has all been with the sticks. Strong, functional welds are not too difficult with a little practice, but a pretty bead has largely eluded me. Once in a great while I'll lay something gorgeous down and wonder how I did it. Proper interfacing of the pieces being welded seems to be a major factor, maybe the missing ingredient in most of my latest ugly welds.

Sorry took so long for me to respond. Lots of things going on.

Your truck project looks pretty cool. I cannot say I know a lot about stick welding. I have done a little. With what the MIG is capable of I would have a hard time spending much time with the stick. Your dad's MIG might be worth spending a little more time with.

Please, no apologies needed. Thanks for the feedback. I like the stick welder better for heavier metal because it's far easier to get good penetration with. Taking a cue from you, however, I tried some thinner sticks last night and had some pretty good results. I'll post new pics in the next few days. I'm sure the improvements are the result of multiple things--the sticks, technique/practice/experience, and better setup/prep of the pieces to be welded.

The other nice thing about the stick welder is that it also doubles as the base of a fast charger for my motorcycle!

Learning to do new things is always the good part. Like they say the journey is the fun part. So much so the destination is often anti-climatic.

Finally got a bit of driving time with it. It seemed weak on take off. We used a cell phone GPS ap which showed it 25mph in low gear on flat road.

I got into the controller with USB/Serial connection and reset some parameters on the controller. Now you can feel the front end come up if you get on it very much. Power very appropriate for the unit.

Have a vibration form the misalignment adapter during deceleration. I can deal with that latter.

Diamond plate bed being cut, windshield here waiting to go in and front bumper at powder coaters.

I have a full dash but I am not putting it in yet. I am testing some things I am making right now. The 48V converter on the left is not hooked up yet but is something I will be testing. The red block is a grounding block. The next box has 4 relays in it. Two are for the lights. I set up the bright/dim function to turn off main lights and turn on led light bar.

Second relay turns on turn signal, flasher, brake light controller.

All is hooked up and working well.

4TH relay for horn but not hooked up.

Electrical1.jpg

Electrical2.jpg

HotBox.jpg

Vibration was simple problem. Did not mount front transmission plate because it makes it harder to get it out. I look back during start and it was moving. I welded plate in position and vibration gone!

One more thing done!

Drove around at night last night. Driving lights are really good.......Light bar.....is stadium lighting!!!

Windshield is in. Still waiting bumper and bed. Trees looked good for some photos:

Leaf1.jpg

Leaf3.jpg

Dog has to ride on it every time. Carpet covers right side and seat is quickly removable. What we won't do for our dogs.

Leaf2.jpg

Congrats, it looks great.

Looking good!

I have been parking on a hill at the shop. I needed to finish the parking brake. I was wondering how long before the cart rolled over the board and down the hill. I got the parking brake done last week and works great. Holds tight on steep hill with little clamping force:

Park1.jpeg

Park2.jpeg

Attached the trailer and hauled 5 loads of leaves to the back of the woods. I was glad it pulled the trailer as good as it did. Backing it up in the soft part to unload the leaves I had to rock it a bit to get it going but otherwise did well. Once it began to move it would fly with the trailer on back.

Leaf.jpg

I would not say it's done. The dash is not done as it is a platform for me to test different electronic systems. Besides some small things it is otherwise....DONE!....and I could not be happier!

Done1.jpg

Done2.jpg

Really like how the 4-link suspension provides clearance in the rear:

Done3.jpg

Just thinking about how it started. We skipped the design phase and went straight to construction!:

Build18.jpg

A lot of people ask me range. What minimum voltage should I limit the batteries to? I am using these batteries:

http://www.batterystuff.com/batteries/upc-telecom/UB12900-45826.html

About 10 volts per battery in Series. Remember to charge every time you use it. Lead prefers to sit fully charged.

Any guess what it weighs? Hint, I have two 72v 6 battery banks. 12 batteries in total.

weigh.jpg

Back