Just had an earthquake in Los Angeles

A 5.0 is a fairly easy quake to get through, mostly a problem at the epicenter itself. So I'm inside the radius they predict for that quake.

But the problem with the big announcement is it's not really predicting anything, that sort of activity is what HAS been going on. The expert on the radio says without the mathematical model she'd throw out predictions of 5.0's most anywhere in SoCal in less than a decade.

It would take 10 5.0 quakes to equal a 6.0, which is getting to be a bit of a problem in that range. Sure would spare the physical damage. A pair of 5.7's would release the energy and still probably do a bit less damage than a single 6.0. It would take 100 5.0 quakes to equal a 7.0.

LockH said:
Chalo said:
Richter 5 ain't no thing. The only things that get knocked down are those that were trying to fall down already.

Hehe... Richter 5 OR GREATER. (Scale ain't linear.)....
Guys...
The Richter scale was succeeded in the 1970s by the Moment Magnitude Scale (MMS). This is now the scale used by the United States Geological Survey to estimate magnitudes for all modern large earthquakes. But, earthquake magnitudes are still sometimes incorrectly reported by the press as "an earthquake of XX on the Richter scale", when the correct terminology using the MMS is "a magnitude XX
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moment_magnitude_scale

Hillhater said:
....I am often amazed at some of the drivel that so called experts and "spokesmen" come out with.

hillary_shot.jpg

"San Andreas fault 'locked, loaded and ready to roll' with big earthquake, expert says"
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-san-andreas-fault-earthquake-20160504-story.html

Here’s the problem: Scientists have observed that based on the movement of tectonic plates, with the Pacific plate moving northwest of the North American plate, earthquakes should be relieving about 16 feet of accumulated plate movement every 100 years. Yet the San Andreas has not relieved stress that has been building up for more than a century.

Among the predicted problems: Ebikers may not be able to recharge for days.

LockH said:
"San Andreas fault 'locked, loaded and ready to roll' with big earthquake, expert says"
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-san-andreas-fault-earthquake-20160504-story.html

Here’s the problem: Scientists have observed that based on the movement of tectonic plates, with the Pacific plate moving northwest of the North American plate, earthquakes should be relieving about 16 feet of accumulated plate movement every 100 years. Yet the San Andreas has not relieved stress that has been building up for more than a century.

Among the predicted problems: Ebikers may not be able to recharge for days.
Biggest problem after the initial fires, electrical outages, and aftershocks will be: drinking water and sanitation. Followed by personal security, clean up, emergency shelter and supply routes through damaged infrastructure. Near the coast, tsunamis could be devestating; inland- interstate highways and rail lines could be impassible for weeks or even months. :shock:

How `bout now?
"5.2-Magnitude Earthquake Rattles Southern California, Felt in Los Angeles, San Diego"
(Posted 2 hours ago):
https://gma.yahoo.com/5-2-magnitude...nia-felt-112449426--abc-news-topstories.html#
An earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 5.2 shook Southern California early this morning.

The quake was centered about 14 miles northwest of Borrego Springs -- about 90 miles east of San Diego -- and hit just after 1 a.m., according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

ABC_california_earthquake_as_160610_16x9_992.jpg

Residents reported feeling shaking from the earthquake in San Diego, West Los Angeles, Riverside and Woodland Hills, ABC Los Angeles station KABC reported.

There were no immediate reports of injuries or property damage, San Diego Sheriff's Office Lt. Andrea Arreola said.

"At this point, we are just monitoring," the area, she said.

Officials said the earthquake set off a lot of alarms at businesses.

It woke the wife, who shouted to the daughter's room, waking me up. Felt a smaller one a day or two ago. Just the normal California 4 seasons: The Fire Season, The Mudslide Season, The Earthquake Season, and The Riot Season. They sometimes overlap each other. :pancake:

Yup, looks like the bottom of the state is gunna fall into the ocean again... :lol:

e-beach said:
Yup, looks like the bottom of the state is gunna fall into the ocean again... :lol:

It always comes back.

So ten 6.0's equal one 7.0, while ten 5.0's equal one 6.0. These clusters really are releasing the tension a little at a time. That 7.0 has already become a 6.9, maybe even 6.8. And it just keeps getting smaller.

Yea, except it all happens 8 hours later because it is UTC time. :roll:

:D

If gradual release with multiple smaller quakes is good, wouldn't quake activity initiated by fracking waste-fluid injections be beneficial?

gogo said:
If gradual release with multiple smaller quakes is good, wouldn't quake activity initiated by fracking waste-fluid injections be beneficial?

There's an interesting question. First of all, if it actually DOES cause little ones, with no proof just yet, can it cause major quakes that otherwise wouldn't have happened? The quake is caused by the underground plates shifting, grinding up piles of dirt that then release themselves and fall. Collapse of a subterranean structure. Could fracking (Fracturing) actually create those subterranean structures? Years after the fracking is over, they're still taking oil and gas out of the ground, sooner or later should there be something ready to settle in?

I'm not a geologist, but I'd assume the collective result of 2-3 weeks of fracking to open the well might be something around a 0.7. NOTHING! If that could set off a domino effect to lead to an existing structure to collapse, it could let go before it got bigger, so it's a smaller quake. Perhaps there's multiple epicenters, etc. A lot of little shaking, but not the big one.

But what if they fracked right exactly on a major quake that was just waiting to happen . . . ?

Don't let any activist kid you, there's a whole lot more questions than answers, many more mouths talking than minds, a lot more unsubstantiated rumors than facts. But I'm taking the fun out of it for the hairbrained activists, aren't I?

Dauntless said:
I'm not a geologist, but I'd assume the collective result of 2-3 weeks of fracking to open the well might be something around a 0.7. NOTHING
:roll:

A bit bigger then 0.7.JPG

http://www.newsweek.com/oklahoma-earthquake-sparks-fracking-fears-495574

Oklahoma geologists have documented links between increased seismic activity in the state and the injection into the ground of wastewater from oil and gas production, according to a report from a state agency last year.

Oklahoma is recording 2-1/2 earthquakes daily of a magnitude 3 or greater, a seismicity rate 600 times greater than before 2008, the Oklahoma Geological Survey (OGS) said.

:D

But again, that's just speculation. Correlation is not causation, or even confirmation. The Colorado mountains were caused by by the same shift that pushed Death Valley below sea level. My Mother had delusions that there was an active volcano in Death Valley several years ago because they said there was a "Steam Explosion" there maybe 1,300 years ago.

Meanwhile, all that oil, natural gas, coal, etc. being taken out of the Earth. Where's the seismic activity from THAT?

I'm not into hip and trendy, especially when it comes to accusations. I'm more interested in real facts.

18kwqrgg174h3jpg.jpg

Just because you get caught holding the smoking gun, doesn't mean you're the killer. But you better have a good explanation. Here in Dallas we started getting quakes when they started fracking in an area just south of Las Colinas. We get frequent quakes centered in a 1 mile area when they're pumping. The quakes go away when they stop. http://earthquaketrack.com/us-tx-dallas/recent Mostly 2.0 to 3.6 stuff. Quite earth shaking for Dallas, but no one really cares. There have been many studies on the quakes, easily found with google. Most scientist agree the fracking here causes the quakes. Common sense says the fracking causes the quakes. The drilling companies disagree.

Most scientists? You mean like 4 out of 5 dentists? Amazing how safe some eff faced people feel just saying things that would terrify the thinking class if they got caught blurting it out. Yeah, Google, that mainstay of scientific peer reviewed research. Your little study here can be easily found on google. Maybe someone will cite it as their proof that fracking causes earthquakes. ERIC, on the other hand. . . . Oh, wait, you don't put the kind of faith in ERIC as you do in Google, do you?

But I have to ask: These Most scientists: When did they branch out into Geology? Were you attending the summer camp when they told you they had agreed? I'm not sure Milton would approve. Are you taking a moment to wonder just WHO you claimed agreed with what you said? Probably not. But that's just a theory on my part, let's not try to Google up an answer.

I'm picturing anyone who DOES call themselves a scientist putting their foot in their mouth and saying anything more than that they might THEORIZE that fracking could cause earthquakes and are awaiting some sort of proof. I'm picturing the sort of embarrassment as those with the strong, unsubstantiated claims about how it is that the starlings are able to fly so fast in such tight, three dimensional formations and their red faces after someone really DID explain how they do it: It's much like taking derivatives of all the birds flying near you and averaging the delta's continuously. Summed up as fly as all your neighbors do, priority to the closest to avoid collision. And it wasn't even a bird expert that sorted it out. Far more simple that all the crazy things those scientists had been saying.

So I'd think the best model for those committed to blaming fracking for anything they want to complain about at the moment would be the locust. Talk about tighter flight patterns in a group, but no formations or precision of any kind. They came up with an explanation for locusts, too. To avoid being eaten by the locust behind you you'd have to eat the locust in front of you as quick as you can. Yep, sounds like fracking activists, Occupy, etc.

Isn't science fun? You should discover it.

funny208.jpg

[youtube]xh9ytN5ohf0[/youtube]

Geiriau:
Oni 'di meddwl achub y byd
ond sgin i'm mynadd.
Dod a'r cenhedloedd oll ynghyd
ond sgin i'm mynadd.
Banio rhyfel, poen a trais,
sortio llanast yr yank a'r sais,
byth rhy hwyr i godi pais
ond sgin i'm mynadd!

Oni am drwsio'r 'ozone layer'
ond sgin i'm mynadd.
Stopio pawb rhag llygru'r ddaear
ond sgin i'm mynadd.
Gneud fel yn yr oesoedd gynt,
troi peiriannau hefo gwynt,
gyrru llygredd ar ei hynt
ond sgin i'm mynadd!

Na, na, na, na, na, na
sgin i'm mynadd!
Na, na, na, na, na, na
sgin i'm mynadd!

Oni am frwydro dros yr iaith
ond sgin i'm mynadd.
Mynd a'r band ar daith
ond sgin i'm mynadd.
Canu 'protests songs' yn groch,
cael fy arestio gan y moch,
hyn i gyd cyn chwech o' gloch
ond sgin i'm mynadd!

Na, na, na, na, na, na
sgin i'm mynadd!
Na, na, na, na, na, na
sgin i'm mynadd!

Dwi am godi o fy ngwely,
mae 'na raglen ar y teli
sydd yn trafod problem 'apathy'.

O dyna broblem fawr ein hoes ni, (wel hynny ag S4C)
ond fel ddwedodd Ems bach lawer gwaith o mlaen i,
'Sgin i'm math o fynadd!'

Oni am sgwennu can i chdi
ond sgin i'm mynadd.
Deud bo fi'n dy garu di
ond sgin i'm mynadd.
Odla' a threigliada'
i ddatgan fy nheimlada'.
Fedrai'm ffeindio'r geiriau,
sgin i'm mynadd!

Na, na, na, na, na, na
sgin i'm mynadd!
Na, na, na, na, na, na
sgin i'm mynadd!
Na, na, na, na, na, na
sgin i'm mynadd!

ENGLISH TRANSLATION
I thought about saving the world
but I can't be bothered.
Bring the all nations together
but I can't be bothered.
Ban war, pain and violence
sort out the mess of the yank and the Englishman,
never too late to lift an underskirt
but I can't be bothered!

I was going to fix the ozone layer
but I can't be bothered.
Stop everyone from polluting the earth
but I can't be bothered.
Do things like the ages before,
turn machinery with wind,
send pollution on its way
but I can't be bothered!

No, no, no, no, no, no
I can't be bothered!
No, no, no, no, no, no
I can't be bothered!

I was going to battle over the language
but I can't be bothered.
Take the band on tour
but I can't be bothered.
Sing protest songs at the top of my voice,
and be arrested by the pigs,
and all of this before six
but I can't be bothered!

No, no, no, no, no, no
I can't be bothered!
No, no, no, no, no, no
I can't be bothered!

I'm going to get out of my bed,
there's a programme on the telly
that discusses the problem of apathy.

Oh that's the great problem of our time, (well that and S4C)
but like old Ems said many times before me,
'I just can't be bothered!'

I was going to write a song for you
but I can't be bothered.
Tell you that I love you
but I can't be bothered.
Rhymes and mutations
to declare my feelings.
I can't find the words,
I can't be bothered!

No, no, no, no, no, no
I can't be bothered!
No, no, no, no, no, no
I can't be bothered!
No, no, no, no, no, no
I can't be bothered!

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Earthquake-Northern-California-Pacific-Ocean-405441605.html :shock: Pretty big one to the North, can't be blamed on drilling.
Offshore Magnitude-6.5 Quake Shakes Northern CA Coast
The quake caused shaking in seaside communities in the seismically active area, but a tsunami warning was not expected
By Jonathan Lloyd

A 6.5 magnitude earthquake struck about 100 miles off the coast of Eureka, California on Thursday, Dec. 8, 2016.
A magnitude-6.5 earthquake was reported early Thursday off the coast of Northern California.
The quake, downgraded from its initial magnitude of 6.8, was about 100 miles off the coast of Eureka, California, a city of about 27,000 people 100 miles south of the Oregon border. Shaking was reported along the Northern California coast, including Ferndale, Eureka and nearby seaside communities.
A tsunami warning was not expected, according to the Tsunami Warning Center. There were no reports of injuries or damage.
A magnitude-4.7 earthquake was reported about one hour later in the same area.

Other news network story:http://abc7.com/news/65-magnitude-earthquake-strikes-off-coast-of-northern-california/1645716/

Could be spreading ?http://www.foxla.com/weather/earthquakes/222486610-story
http://www.foxla.com/news/national-news/222061664-story
Not really.:lol:
:shock:

Hehe... Seen here:
https://earthquake.usgs.gov/learn/topics/measure.php

In part:
On the Richter Scale, magnitude is expressed in whole numbers and decimal fractions. For example, a magnitude 5.3 might be computed for a moderate earthquake, and a strong earthquake might be rated as magnitude 6.3. Because of the logarithmic basis of the scale, each whole number increase in magnitude represents a tenfold increase in measured amplitude; as an estimate of energy, each whole number step in the magnitude scale corresponds to the release of about 31 times more energy than the amount associated with the preceding whole number value.

:shock:

Back