DIY Boosted inspired electric longboard

I would mistake that board for a boosted. All you need is some boosted grip tape :D

Did you mould those enclosures from the original boosted enclosure? Did you have a boosted before this build?

Very professional build.

AMAZING. I just Signed up (after days of reading) to comment on this thread. I have no words. It's awesome!

I'm also from Europe, and I've been waiting for boosted boards to ship here for a while... Until a few days ago, when I decided that I should build my own.
However, I really liked the boosted look, and I hadn't found any similar looking DIY until now.
I definitely will use your successful longboard to prove myself that it can be done. Functional and beautiful.Really Good job, congrats :wink:

squad - can you outline or detail your forming setup? Those molds are deep and came out perfectly! You said you sat on them? Using what kind of foam to form into the mold and more detail on how you did this?

Definitely subscribed and look forward to more detail.

Have you done any range tests yet? Also curious on weight to compare with boosted.

beautiful job.

Im interested in that as well - inspired by this I ordered a 600x300mm kydex sheet last night, maybe I can form a simple enclosure by that. positive wood form, kydex, thick foam with a wooden plate ontop to apply even pressure - so much for the plan. :)

sl33py said:
squad - can you outline or detail your forming setup? Those molds are deep and came out perfectly! You said you sat on them? Using what kind of foam to form into the mold and more detail on how you did this?

Definitely subscribed and look forward to more detail.

Have you done any range tests yet? Also curious on weight to compare with boosted.

beautiful job.

I made positive out of wood and car putty, then sanded it to required shape, after that I gave it to professional car painter. After that I gave it nice even rub using freekote, then I used tooling gelcoat, resing and glassfiber to make mold. When all of that hardens you can separate mold and your positive model, I used posiive model to press hot kydex into the mold (did not use foam to form it), in order to apply pressure I simply standed on the model.

I suppose the range will be about 20-25 km, as I wrote earlier during tests I rode 12 km using 3500 mAh out of 10000 of nominal battery capacity.
The weight is 7kg, don't know how it feels compared to boosted.

Can't see from my phone, but turn on my computer just for you during breakfast :mrgreen:

okp said:
could you do a flex test by filming on the side of the deck ? I would like to know if your enclosures are still close to the deck when the deck bends.

thanks!

Hi, the back of front battery enclosure tends to stick out a bit leaving a gap when flexing (I also need to seal the front of back enclosure, because the dirt from the streets tends to get in there, I'm thinking about some kind of foam). Unfortunately the weather is quite rainy, I'll try to film that next week.

beetbocks said:
a very nice build..very good skills..: 8)

Thanks!

I actually started thinking about building electric mountainboard to ride it off roads... but it would have to built using sensored 63mm motors, and it would end up quite expensive... maybe next year! 8)

Hello again, friend of mine who helped me with making of the video, uploaded few more "artistic" pics of my build on his site :D , if anyone is interested here is the link http://adamziarko.com/elektryczny-longboard/

Also I rode 18 km today, reaching top speed of 56 km/h (if I remember correctly, I calculated gearing exactly for this top speed :) ), the battery capacity screen showed me 54% of the battery left, which equals about 3,7V per cell. Here is the proof :D https://www.strava.com/activities/420332078

@okp forgive me that I haven't recorded the flex video yet, I remember about it! :wink:

WOW! I'm blown away by the professionalism in how your board looks. I'm aspiring to get close to that with my build as well :)

My build is still very early in it's stages, but I'm looking to get the enclosures built now. Any tips? I'm using an old Santa Cruz Longboard with Orangatang Kegels, one motor, one VESC, 10S1P 5000mAh batteries and did a mini-test ride this past weekend (without a helmet or padding, so I got decided to stop speed testing after hitting 18.8mph or 30.26 km/h). I figured that I'll probably want dual motors in the future. I used Strava as well for my speed testing! :)

Here's a video of mine:
[youtube]ooCJIWVrjXo[/youtube]

@blindnas: I suggest you to buy an helmet in case. It will help (a bit) if you fall, especially when doing speed tests!

@squad : hey, an advice from you... I am wondering if a good mold, DIY vaccum enclosure (with no leak) with a domestic vaccum (with good suck power) and a good heatgun... I could achieve good results with Kydex 2mm. Challenge will be to keep the whole area (30x30cm sheet) at the same temperature to ease the molding, nevertheless I think that by continuing to heat the sheet with the heatgun on some difficult areas could help.

I don't plan to use a oven to heat the sheet, just quick and dirty way.

is it something that worth ? epoxy enclosures are fun but I want to give a try to Kydex (8,50e the 30x30cm sheet in France, or ABS).

i still gotta try out my kydex experiment (went for carbon & aluminum for now). found a 60x30x0.2cm kydex sheet on german ebay and I knew that my parents had this old infrared-heater in their garage - those things are perfect to heat up a larger area quite continuously. and I think they are also really cheap - stumbled over one in a hardware store and it was only 20€. might be worth considering before you go wild with a heat gun :lol:

yes, worth trying ! got 4 sheets of Kydex ordered aswell as a cheap gunheater. I will build the 40x40 vaccum enclosure later this week and make sure it does not leak. That will make cheap enclosures as once you have the mold done... by looking at the videos making ABS or Kydex enclosures seems to be really really easy; I would say that for 10 USD you can get a nice finished enclosure... if you use ABS it's like 5 USD no more !

You need to be quick when molding kydex, I would prefere to heat the sheet in the oven, I tried doing it by heat gun but it's difficult to heat the whole surface evenly. I haven't tried vacuum molding but I think it's possible. Epoxy enclosure is definietly more rigid, but nice look is harder to achieve. I think everyone has oven in the kitchen so You don't need to buy something extra for heating sheets (I use my mothers kitchen oven) :D

okp said:
yes, but what about the kydex / abs vapors which are going in the oven ? not sure this is health safe especially because the oven is used... for cooking :D

Well, the smell of kydex ventilates from oven really quickly and I don't bake anything simultaneously :D Let's say that's a matter of Your own personal approach to this topic... :wink:

Wow, I came out of the shadows after weeks of lurking just to say you've really set the bar here.
It's very intimidating for a noob who is just starting out with e-boards.
I'm a mechanical engineer: those motor mounts are beautiful !
Any chance you'd be willing to share your CAD files ?
Cheers, Tom.

Back