Lipo reshaping [N00B question]

Is it possible to rearrenge the cells of a lipo pack?
i assume it is but i never tried.
I found a 6s battery pack but it is preatty bulky and i'd like to make it flat (the six cells are quite thin).

Thanks in advance for the answers

technically you can, but it is pretty difficult; the cells are easy to damage when you separate them because they are all glued together.

the easier thing to do is just buy the cells individually from hobbyking, and then solder them up yourself!

cmatson said:
technically you can, but it is pretty difficult; the cells are easy to damage when you separate them because they are all glued together.

the easier thing to do is just buy the cells individually from hobbyking, and then solder them up yourself!

Thanks for the really fast answer, is some kind of pcb needed?

This is possible. I have taken many bulky 6s's and laid them flat. @cmatson is correct. You need to be extra careful because they will be glued or double sided taped together. Another thing to be careful about are the metal tabs connecting the cells together. Typically they are spot welded together and can easily be broken apart and they are not the easiest to solder together once they are separated. I would also recommend going with the single cells. The metal tabs are a lot more solder friendly. A pcb is not needed.

Possible, but also please note the tabs are aluminium. You will need some aluminium grade solder to do it, the regular lead/lead free stuff will not stick to the aluminium.

When taking the packs apart, there is a good chance the tabs will be crimped together also, so you will not be able to unsolder them. INstead they break, so best to get a bunch of loose cells or in the combination you will use (ie 6 lots of 1s2p, or whatever). You can get loose cells easily enough from HK or somewhere in the regular battery section.

The 4 multistar 4s packs I have are not glued together. Unwrap. Seal the tabs as they can touch when folded. Fold. Reshrink wrap.
glued packs can be separated if ur slow and careful.

Anyone who has soldered cells, how'd you do it? I'm worried I'd cook the cells in the process.

Back