HPC Revolution XXX

All this has to fit in here... I might go with a pulley vs. the Blackspire roller. There's a ton of measuring at this stage.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 4,085
  • IMG_1497.JPG
    IMG_1497.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 4,085
Leeleeducati said:
All this has to fit in here... I might go with a pulley vs. the Blackspire roller. There's a ton of measuring at this stage.
Hi mate,
awesome build.
You can use a bmx half link chain from motor to cranks and it enables you to get the chain tighter as you remove 1 link at a time not 2 as you would on a normal chain
Darren

Just saying this because I've been there. When you get done and you ride it, all it's going to want to do is just flip over backwards. You have
motorcycle horsepower on a bicycle. The seat is high and over the back wheel and the force is being applied at the ground. There ya go.

You are doing an amazing job on this project. First class all the way. I can't wait to see it finished.

Probably so, but somewhere there has to be a balance of gear, maybe lower voltage and decent programming and controller settings to be able to use this? I need to finish the mechanics to experiment. I've programmed such low throttle ramp up on the CA that I've barely inched forward so in a way I'm relying on electronics to keep this usable. This was the reason for going mid drive here, my previous hub builds just didn't cut it for super low speed technical climbs. I blame the Aussies for talking me into this giant :) in any case I've unwantingly passed the 12 o'clock position on many liter bikes in my day so I do have a respect for throttle.

Incisions complete, they lined up nicely. I've ordered some Delrin rod to machine grommets for the chains to pass through but for now they will have to stay like this. Everything on ebay takes a month to get here. The goal is to get this bike pedalable in the next week or so so I can start the electronics and get that motor spinning. I originally thought to put the tensioner on the plate I removed for these pics, but now I'm thinking/debating using the frame? might be easier to align before covers go on...

Attachments

• IMG_1561.JPG
    IMG_1561.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 3,953
  • IMG_1563.JPG
    IMG_1563.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 3,953
Cool build :) it will be interesting to see the performance/reliability of the revolt motor and what kind of continuous and peak power can be expected. In regards to flipping over backwards I would reccomend trying to modify the frame to use a dirt bike seat as opposed to a regular bike seat. I have done this with my 10kw dh bike and the difference is night and day. Now it is nearly impossible to flip because you can shift all your weight much further forward.

Been super busy with home and work lately but had a chance to get a few things done... here's some recent progress on the motor side chain tensioner. You can't really tell from the pics with the chain slack, but when everything is buttoned up with the crank it works really well. That's a 6803RS bearing to gage size. I plan on machining the cog out of metal at some point but for now this will do.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 3,647
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 3,647
With these pics you can see the milled slot the bolt/tensioner can slide up and down to adjust chain tension. Again the chain isn't connected to the crank chainring hence the slack. Drama... I'm on Rev. 3 of the front chain ring carrier... OCD or crazy obsessive perfectionist, not sure what/why but I'm just not happy with the way the chain line routes through/past the rear swing arm. This revision will have the motor drive chain on the outside and the inner chainring connects to the rear. Wasn't how I originally wanted it (for looks only) but with this configuration I can easily get 5+ reduction if needed with tons of clearance now that the chain is closer to the center of the frame.

Attachments

• 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 3,643
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 3,643
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 3,643
MASTER Work!

Any more of these and I could probably decorate the Christmas tree... Rev. 3 is the one with the 10 center holes. This reverses the motor chain with the rear sprocket chain orientation. Still have to tap the holes for the Eno and inside chainring on the 10 small holes. There's a fourth blank that I shouldn't need, no more changes...

Attachments

• IMG_1619.JPG
    IMG_1619.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 3,510
So, what is "wrong" with the batteries, are they extras from damaged packs or did they not pass QA or slightly used?

Do they have the expected capacity and amperage?

A great bargain even if they are only 90% perfect..

very nice work!....any idea of what top speed will be?...I am having HPC build me revolution with MXUS hub motor and mini adappto control...another feature will be schlump drive 1:2.5 34/85 was wondering if would be possible to install a schlump drive with your set up?

This build won't be for top speed, I'm targeting around 70kmph but with hill climbing ability. I believe this motor setup will favour top end with the right gearing. I had the BB threaded so I'm not sure the Schlumpf can fit? There's always the Hammerschmidt a threaded BB can accept and that one does freewheel also. You will enjoy your Revolution.

The front chain tensioner was the last component to make this a pedalable bike. I had to mill a "swingarm" design mounted off one of the ISCG tabs. It had to move up and down with the rear (vs. stationary tension) and with the spring it does a very nice job. The top spring mount is just temporary, I didn't want to drill any holes until the concept was proven. I'm hoping to get this out on Sunday to field test the "bike" component and then it's on to the electronics.

Attachments

• IMG_1678.JPG
    IMG_1678.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 3,256
  • IMG_1681.JPG
    IMG_1681.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 3,256
70 kmh is not too shabby for a mid drive looks like a great compromise between speed,hill climbing,and range!

Top spring mount completed. The design needs no fasteners, it sits in the frame and holds the spring in place on it's own.

Attachments

• IMG_1722.JPG
    IMG_1722.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 3,121
  • IMG_1736.JPG
    IMG_1736.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 3,121
I took it out for a spin as a "bike" today. Spin being the key word, felt like a spin class with the current gears, might change out the rear sprocket just for this phase of testing. It's a solid bike, feels good and stable. The Double barrel and Dorado work real nice on this frame. The steer angle is a bit slack for street, so I'll have to take it to the trails to see how she handles there. I do have the Cane Creek angleset on there so I may reverse and try 0.5 degree increments till it feels right (steeper). Now it's officially time for the electronics!

Attachments

• IMG_1743.JPG
    IMG_1743.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 3,134
  • IMG_1744.JPG
    IMG_1744.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 3,134
Back