Vector bike and frame owners.

Nice find!

Thank you Artur :)

Really nice video. Just how I wished to see. Awesome!

drew12345 said:
I can't view the video. Get warning music not supported in my country (USA).
http://convert2mp3.net/ Download the youtubevideo and press "umwandeln" (I don´t know if the web site will be english if you visit it from the USA...)

What rear tires do you guys recomment? 17" or 19" motorcycle tires on a QS 205 (50H) motor? Someone told me the 17" is better for a Vector...?

DasDouble said:
What rear tires do you guys recomment? 17" or 19" motorcycle tires on a QS 205 (50H) motor? Someone told me the 17" is better for a Vector...?

Well if you pick a wheel size based on what makes the motor more efficient you would go for the 17". Because the DD hubmotors don't have internal gears your rim size determine the max RPM of the motor, and smaller wheels makes for less max RPM, but it also means the motor will be more in its most efficient power band. Even climbing steep hills will be easier for the motor with smaller diameter rims. So to sum up, smaller wheel size = lower gearing then bigger wheel size. You loose a little top end, but you gain more torque and should have even better acceleration.

I think maxxis has an aggressive threaded dirt tyre in 17". But any moto tire will work. From what I've read the maxxis is sticky and soft and will give plenty of traction.

91276.jpg

macribs said:
DasDouble said:

Well if you pick a wheel size based on what makes the motor more efficient you would go for the 17". Because the DD hubmotors don't have internal gears your rim size determine the max RPM of the motor, and smaller wheels makes for less max RPM, but it also means the motor will be more in its most efficient power band. Even climbing steep hills will be easier for the motor with smaller diameter rims. So to sum up, smaller wheel size = lower gearing then bigger wheel size. You loose a little top end, but you gain more torque and should have even better acceleration.

I think maxxis has an aggressive threaded dirt tyre in 17". But any moto tire will work. From what I've read the maxxis is sticky and soft and will give plenty of traction.

91276.jpg
That is really helpfull. Thank you for your help! :)

What rear tires do you recomment? 18"X1.85" 1X2 Cross Pattern Rear Wheel or 18"X1.6" 1X2 Cross Pattern Rear Wheel?

DasDouble said:
What rear tires do you recomment? 18"X1.85" 1X2 Cross Pattern Rear Wheel or 18"X1.6" 1X2 Cross Pattern Rear Wheel?

Hm you ask about tires yet you wrote down 2 different rim sizes? Not sure what to think of that. I will take it as if you ask about which rim to choose. The theoretical best choice is the rim with the least weight. The 18" x 1.6" is not as wide as the other rim, so rim will be lighter. Which is a good thing. Less rotating mass, less unsprung weight etc. Even the thinner one will be able to use wide enough tires to inflict with the Vector swing arm. If prices dictate you choice, then I would go for the cheapest. Because to be frank the difference between those rims are not that great in the first place, and when you know you will anchor a 25 lbs hub motor in the center the little weight savings might turn out to be negotiable at best.

For front wheel I would for sure go the thinnest as every lbs count more up front.

I want to be able to go in every terrain with this bike. Bigger rim means bigger resistance on the ground... A + for offroad riding.. Isn´t it? Also more braking power if you ask me. Am I wrong?

DasDouble said:
I want to be able to go in every terrain with this bike. Bigger rim means bigger resistance on the ground... A + for offroad riding.. Isn´t it? Also more braking power if you ask me. Am I wrong?

Well, heavier wheels are not what you are looking for. Breaking action is determined by your brakes and the tires grip. Rear brake does very little to stop you. Front brake does most of the job. Because when you hit the brakes, the weight shift forward from "neutral" position about 50/50 between front and rear tire. And when brakes engages weights is forced forward to the front wheel so the front brake do most of the heavy work. As the weight shifts forward the rear wheel get less traction and is prone to lock up and start "skidding". In a curve or on slick roads that can cause you to tip over.

So when I say weight shifts forward, doesn't that mean heavier rims are better also in front? Well no. Because heavier also mean more unsprung weight, that will impact the handling, steering response and will lessen the riding experience. Lighter is better for wheels if you have a choice. When it comes to 1.85 x 1.6 or 1.85 the difference is not so grand, but if prices are more or less equal choose the lighter one.

The width or tire print on the road/surface is determined also by the width and dimensions of the tire. On both those rims you can easily fit tires that are wider then what your swing arm will allow without cutting and welding. Both those rim will handle offroad riding just fine, the lighter one will at least give you a theoretical advance. Because turn in, steering response and feel/feed back might be a little bit better.

Also on tire choices you can save weight. You can use 2 ply tires that are very light weight, or heavier 4 ply tires.

macribs said:
DasDouble said:

Well, heavier wheels are not what you are looking for. Breaking action is determined by your brakes and the tires grip. Rear brake does very little to stop you. Front brake does most of the job. Because when you hit the brakes, the weight shift forward from "neutral" position about 50/50 between front and rear tire. And when brakes engages weights is forced forward to the front wheel so the front brake do most of the heavy work. As the weight shifts forward the rear wheel get less traction and is prone to lock up and start "skidding". In a curve or on slick roads that can cause you to tip over.

So when I say weight shifts forward, doesn't that mean heavier rims are better also in front? Well no. Because heavier also mean more unsprung weight, that will impact the handling, steering response and will lessen the riding experience. Lighter is better for wheels if you have a choice. When it comes to 1.85 x 1.6 or 1.85 the difference is not so grand, but if prices are more or less equal choose the lighter one.

The width or tire print on the road/surface is determined also by the width and dimensions of the tire. On both those rims you can easily fit tires that are wider then what your swing arm will allow without cutting and welding. Both those rim will handle offroad riding just fine, the lighter one will at least give you a theoretical advance. Because turn in, and feel might be a little bit better.

Also on tire choices you can save weight. You can use 2 ply tires that are very light weight, or heavier 4 ply tires.
Thank you very much macribs! I will take the 1.6 version. :) Have a great day!

What handlebars do you guys prefer? Steal, Aluminium, or Carbon?

Awesome! How long do you need with your bike from 0-100 km/h? I guess something like 10 seconds..? :roll: :mrgreen:

I have tried myself on this to figure out the highest real speed I could get with 4kW motor.

P(Motor)=((A/2 x CW x D x v³)+(Cr x m x g x v)) x 1,11

P(Motor) = 4kW = 4000W = 4000
A = Stirnfläche des Objekts = face of the object = around 0,6m²
CW = Luftwiederstandswert = Air resistance = 0,7
D = Dichte der Luft = Density of air = at 400 meters over the sea at 25 degree Celcius = 1,196 kg/m³
V = Geschwindigkeit = Speed = That´s what we want to calculate
CR = Rollwiederstandwert = Roll resistance = (downhill wheel with bad conditions) -> 41 Watt
m = Masse = Weight of Rider and Bike together = (65kg + 44 kg bike) = around 110 kg.
g = Erdanziehung = gravity = 9,81
Verlustfaktor = Dissipation Factor = 1,11 at efficiency 89%.

RED COLORE = Surce by google search example motorcycle.
BLUE COLORE = already known, steady data and facts.
GREEN COLORE = different, not considently data

4kW = ((0,6/2 x 0,7 x 1,196 x v³) + (41 x 110 x 9,81 x v)) x 1,11
4kW = (0,25116v³)+(44243,1v)) x 1,11
4kW = (0,25116v x 0,25116v x 0,25116v + 44243,1v) x 1,11
4kW = 4510,015938Vv x 1,11___________I /4510,015938
4000 / 4510,015938 = v x 1.11
0,8869148268 = v x 1,11_______________I / 1,11
0,7990223656 = v

Im just not shure if this means 79,9 km/h.
Tell me if you have something to add.

DD there was a list for Vector frames, can't remember if it was in this thread or in someones build thread. Sure you will find it if you search, don't have my bookmarks on the phone so can't help you with the URL.

Back