BBS02 Single Track Specific

Dogboy1200

100 W
Been lurking on here for a long time and finally put a bike together. WOW! I love it! I wanted something to hit the local MTB trials with. I ride a KTM 250 XCW but now a days I have to drive 3 hrs just to ride it. So I searched for a while and bought a 2007 Transition Preston FR for a great price. It's perfect, not really a down hill bike, more of an all mountain bike and it can fit tires up to 26 x 2.8. I used a BBS02 from Luna Cycles, 2 6S 8 amp hr Lipo batteries from HobbyKing, HPC chain ring adapter, Race Face 36T narrow wide chain ring and a Micro shift twist shifter (for my shimano 9 speed) so I could mount it on the left. Oh yea, I put on some Big Earl 26 x 2.7 tires. I'm carrying the batteries in a small waist pack. I use that waist pack when I ride the KTM and the tools I useally carry in it weigh more than the batteries. These batteries give me about 12 miles. That's actually more than it sounds cause it's all sweet tight single track trough the woods and I'm going at what feels like warp factor 9! I actually think that I'm faster on this thing, on these trials, than I would be on the KTM. I think I'll probably get 2 more of the same batteries though for more range. I set the controller for throttle in PAS 0 (That's actually the only way I ride it) and I initially had the amps set at 18 but recently found out that new controllers have the 3077 FETS so now I'm rock'n 25A till it blows and then I'll upgrade the controller. All though I love this thing I'm gonna go BBSHD when the come out for sure! Here's a couple Pic's and Thanks to everybody on this Forum! I've learned a lot here!

Attachments

• Profile Left.jpg
    Profile Left.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 3,757
  • Profile Right.jpg
    Profile Right.jpg
    276 KB · Views: 3,757
  • Front Big Earl 2.jpg
    Front Big Earl 2.jpg
    278.7 KB · Views: 3,757
  • photo 3 (3).jpg
    photo 3 (3).jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 2,231
Nice build.
Have you added a 'kill' switch for the gear changes or do you just roll off the throttle?

I just roll off the throttle a little and shift. I'm not using any break switches cause sometimes when going fast and approaching a sharp corner I can break while not pedaling, downshift and give it a just little throttle so its in the right gear to exit the turn.

I was running the 36T race face sprocket with my 11-32 9 spd cassette. After a while the chain started skipping teeth in the back when in the higher gears. Also, it had a terrible chain line in the lower gears. Got a 42T Bling Ring and a 12-36 cassette. Ratios are about the same but better chain line and more teeth engaged on rear for a given gear. Only 1 ride so far but all good!

Attachments

• Bling Ring 1 (4).jpg
    Bling Ring 1 (4).jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 3,541
  • Bling Ring 2 (4).jpg
    Bling Ring 2 (4).jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 3,541
I got to agree. Seems like hyperspace on single track. Do most all riding at night and never see a sole that way so I can blast. "Rocks go in at night" been a favorite saying of mine for 35 years or more when I raced DH. Found a great riding buddy on his Rocky Mountain DH with the same package but he carries his battery on his back for now. He has to run his 10 sp though as he has thru axle.
I change out rear sprockets as needed on the leaky NuVunci. Chainline is good, not great, with 73mm BB and single speed. Gear range isn't enough on the NuVinci though so I have to be careful and watch the watt meter. Cassette gearing was much better but wears out incredibly fast with the HP. Single speed chains are much stronger too.
Temp gauge wire isn't long enough so that is next project.
Moots Zirkel 26", 750w 52v 20ah, Nuvinci, 46x18 for relatively flat trails no pedal. 25 to 32 miles a night with one night 42 miles of flat trails.
Playing with different throttles as bar space is limited. Can't get used to twist on the left yet. NuVinci on left is backwards and weird too. May end up with it there. Tried 4 different throttles now and all different positions. Would really like to get this dialed in so I can cut and hide wires for final time.
I want to add more battery under DT above motor. It is hard to put this bad boy away at night.

ev charge wall sm.jpg

Looks like a sweet ride Geckcycles! I experimented with throttles too and ended up liking a right side full twist. its the most familiar to me.

BBSHD ordered!

Back