What are you guys building over the winter?

recumpence

1 GW
On Earth right now. That can change at any time, t
So, what are you guys building (or planning to build) over the winter? I have a couple projects, but no complete bikes. I will be doing some system updates and revisions of my existing bikes and E-toys, but nothing I am ready to share just yet.

What are you guys building as a winter project?

Matt

recumpence said:
So, what are you guys building (or planning to build) over the winter?

What winter? :)

I'm most of the way finished with a Cycle Truck type front loader in which the "load" is a chair. I call it my princess bike because it's for carrying princesses.

If it meets or exceeds my expectations, I'll probably electrify it.

IMG_20151115_123956.jpg

solid axle gokart on a mini chassis powered by a hub motor, underneath a power wheels jeep body. Radio controlled so I can ride on top or use it as a golf caddy. Tow trailers, kids, adults, whatever. I used it with the stock driveline until it burned up the motors and I got sick of the gearbox whine.

Part way there already.

Attachments

• jeep1.JPG
    jeep1.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 5,627
  • jeep2.jpg
    jeep2.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 5,627
I'm quite happy with my current setup, but still want a swingarm mounted, single speed, mid drive that can do ~45mph for longer commutes. More motorcycle than bike. So this Winter I'll be honing my skills so I can build something like ES member 'jacketful's build: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=68470

I too bought a kart (from ES member 'electron bom') which I plan on making legal as a 'low speed vehicle' to get to and from the office (<1km). In addition to the requisite turn signals, better brake lights, etc, I plan on adding a tow hitch so I can pull a small trailer and use a hitch mounted bike rack. I also hope to integrate the large'ish (72v60ah) pack into a solar battery bank ....not sure yet inverter magic will be required.

p5pb12170265.jpg

The usual...adding more bits and bobs to my existing vehicles, most especially the SB Cruiser trike.

Probably gonna try to work out a chair mount so Raine can ride on the trike cargo bed if we need to go places. And/or a chair mount for the trailer, or even a whole new passenger / cargo trailer.

Need to redo the wiring on the trike, neaten i tup, cuz it's gotten all spaghettified with the addons and experiments.

Hope to do more experiments with the motor/controller stuff, see if I can get the grin/asi thing running on the x5304.

See about building a front fork to hold a rear motor and use the Fusin geared hub up front for 3WD. :)

(then I just need a battery that can output enough power to startup under heavy loads for three motors, hard enough to get me and a trailer full of dog (etc) up to 20MPH in <3 seconds...and maybe then work on getting the controllers to draw that much).

I've been fixing and building guitars like a madman. Haven't even been able to think much about my electric vehicle projects.
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/4475905-post536.html

I just told everyone no more repairs though because, for the next few months, I'm finishing my 9 string all aluminum/brass/stainless/copper travel guitar, and building at least one, maybe two, offroad tadpole e-trikes. I've decided to put off the hemp/bamboo/wood amphibious trike until I make it to somewhere tropical where I can find a place I want to hang out for a while and a shop I can work in.

One trike will be for one of my best friends who's a baja racer that works with wounded vets. I showed him John in CR's 103mph hubmonster video and he said that when he gets back from chasing his cousin in the Baja1000, he wants to build a three wheel drive off road trike. We'll see what happens but he seemed really excited about it and will probably run it in the NORRA Mexican 1000 offroad race if he can find a battery sponsor so we can quick change packs at pits and recharge them with a trailer mounted propane generator pulled by the chase truck that's also for the gas powered vintage dirt bikes, that podium every year, a 71 Honda SL350 and a 77 Yamaha XT500. If he actually ends up committing to building one this year(race year that is. It's in May.), I'll definitely be helping in any way I can as I'm the one that's turned him on to e-drive potential. The plan we came up with today is using two mid mounted hubmonsters, powered by four Adaptto Max E's, one motor driving the rear wheel, and one going to a quad front diff with extended a-arms and axles. I figured we'd look at battery options for it when it's done and am open to suggestions. I'll see if I can get him to put up a build thread for it here but he's pretty burnt out on the internet so I may just do a post once it's done.

I'll be working on a trike for myself too but with much less power. An Amberwolf inspired build for sure! The SB Cruiser really got my gears turning as to how much utility and awesomeness can be accomplished with so little! I plan to use most of the parts for the sustainably built leaning/tilting all belt drive amphibious camper trike and just mount them on a steel trike frame with a 300 watt panel on the roof. I'm wondering if I can separate the glass from the panels and coat them with thin uv stable ultra clear epoxy instead, to lighten them up a bit. Might have to borrow/improvise a pizza oven! lol Pedal drive will be a Hammerschmidt to a NuVinci N360. Electric drive will be a Ryobi 40v lithium brushless chainsaw(6374 fan cooled outrunner and 12-fet basically) running a primary friction reduction, then into a bike chain secondary reduction jackshaft with twin csk25 freewheels for pedal drive input and twin csk25's for the ev input too so silent freewheeling for each input, then into the NuVinci. The final reduction out of the NuVinci to the rear wheel will be a #219 o-ring chain setup. The front end is off a banshee 350 quad with 21" sand tires, and I just picked up a KX450 swingarm and 17" rear 3 spoke magnesium sport bike wheel that will run a Heidenau K60 Scout dual sport rear tire. I'll use the solar panel as a canopy. It's not going to be fast at all unless it's going down hill. It will only be geared for 15mph in high gear, 3mph max in low, so the little 2500 watt chainsaw won't get loaded too hard. Not sure what I'll do for batteries yet but I may just get a couple of high capacity 160wh Ryobi batteries for it. I primarily want to pedal the thing and power the motor off the solar but it will be nice to get a little help up the hills or on cloudy days, even if only for a few miles. Ideally, I'll find a 20-30ah nmc pack for it someday which should make electric only range somewhere in the 20-40 mile range, which is more than I ever need to go in a day.

I'll also need to build a little trailer to haul a few tools and some camping gear and supplies with and will probably put a solar panel or two on it. 900 watts of solar isn't much but if 5 hours of sun can get me 25 miles at 5mph, it will be perfect. I'll use more quad crap for the axle on it and have thought about mid mounting a used hub motor and a little battery pack on it too. When the trike is done and I can get around for free, I'll have money to get some c-beam's from open builds and a henrob/dillion torch kit so the outer frame for the trailer will be a cnc router/dremel mill/torch table. I found a couple of really light oxygen generators at the scrap yard and a couple of really light aluminium oxygen tanks so I can revalve one of them and get it recertified for acetylene or propane, and use the other for oxygen. With that, my comprehensive dremel collection, and a few hand tools, I'm hoping to have a 250lb mobile machine shop/electronics dev lab/crap hauler. We'll see how it goes but I can see it in my head.

I have almost all of the parts for everything except solar panels and batteries, which I'll be selling my gas sucking pig to fund. The best scrapyard I've ever found is four miles away down a dirt road and I put in 40 hours so far helping my friend, who's also a fabricator/engineer type, get ready for baja, so he's going to help me get it all built in his shop that has MIG/TIG/plasma, a tubing bender, my old lathe/mill combo, a small emco lathe, and just about every other metal working tool you can think of so unlike the sustainable trike that will be made out of hundreds of little pieces cut/glued/laminated together, which will require the perfect weather for curing, this build will go fast and easy and isn't weather dependent at all!

My internet has been super slow lately and I'm a little burnt on the internet too so I might not be able to post comprehensive build threads here until I get everything done and can get to better internet but I'll definitely be documenting the builds and will post threads here when I can because this community is largely at fault for my e-craziness! :twisted:

Started a new off road weapon build, a 160mm mountain bike for single trails.

I chose the Banshee Rune frame because it can be configured with a 73mm BB and a 150mm rear hub which will allow the electric setup I'm planning, a mid mounted Astro 3215 motor driving the left side of the rear wheel. I've acquired the off the shelf parts for the build, but there are some custom made parts that will have to be fabricated by a machine shop.

First stage is building the new bike from the frame up. After it is up and running as a human powered bike, I will add the electric components.

Here's pictures of the frame ad rear wheel as a teaser, once I make some progress, I will start a thread dedicated for the build.
I've already laced and tensioned the rear wheel, still need to true it.

View attachment 2

View attachment 1

20151109_010951_800.jpg

Avner.

The attached docx is a brief discussion with pictures of some academic concept activity. The project concept is a articulated, lean/tilt, delta trike that might be used in developing single passenger urban commuting vehicle concepts. I have provided the attachment to encourage others to consider uncommon concepts. There is just a small bit of discussion along with some pictures. Sometime in the near future, the dynamic stability of this project concept will be compared to a tadpole trike.

Attachments

• PTV Nov 16 2015 update and JPGs.docx
    1.6 MB · Views: 99
We aussies basically have a duty to entertain you folks up north during your winter. Looking forward to another summer of beer and bikes while you guys warm up by the fire.

To that end I've got another Flux to finish
Two Norco alines with custom carbon tanks inserted
A bmx-style dirtjumper for my 8 YO daughter
A few big cruisers
And a Melbourne guy wants me to power up his freshly welded 1:1 scale batpod copy. :twisted:

Broke, because I have my teenage daughter living with me. I do have plans to put together a few commuter bikes with parts and a motor Dogman gifted me. Just waiting until tax return so I can buy more lipo :lol: :mrgreen:

A Nyx frame direct drive hubmotor ebike that should do >110mph and hold a power wheelie to at least 60mph.

Hotrodding my Rav4 EV with Arlo1's monster controller.

Adding Zilla 2KHV to my sparrow along with 13in motor.

Doubling deathbike's power.

bike (Small).JPGits summer here, but i've just finished my uni degree so between now and getting a job, ill be building this...

sn0wchyld said:
its summer here, but i've just finished my uni degree so between now and getting a job, ill be building this...

Dope frame!! more more more! do I spy an RV motor in there?
Stay safe from the fires today man!

Sean9002 said:
sn0wchyld said:
its summer here, but i've just finished my uni degree so between now and getting a job, ill be building this...

Dope frame!! more more more! do I spy an RV motor in there?
Stay safe from the fires today man!
cheers mate
yepers, everything is going inside the frame, batteries, motor, controller and a 2spd dog box. I'll be trying to make a open sided out-runner (modding an existing motor) so the motor winding's can be attached with a low thermal resistance path directly to the side cover, and the controller being attached to the other side cover. more heat dissipation than you can poke a stick at. Not quite settled yet but it's probably going to be a modded mini-monster. I'd consider a rv160s but dont really have the funds atm, and the 100pro is too small.

johnrobholmes said:
solid axle gokart on a mini chassis powered by a hub motor, underneath a power wheels jeep body. Radio controlled so I can ride on top or use it as a golf caddy. Tow trailers, kids, adults, whatever. I used it with the stock driveline until it burned up the motors and I got sick of the gearbox whine.

Part way there already.

Love the beefiness. How's this coming along? I want to do something similar but I am looking for a donor frame as I don't want to get into steering geometry...

I'm busy going full nerd on the controller IC (for a few months already), am busy with a completely overhauled HF tone mode and will also add
compensation for the magnetic field shift at standstill (which can cause false hall sensor readings). Plus all this needs to have a proper automatic
calibration so everyone can set it up in an easy way with only the most basic of input necessary.

I am debating and working things in my head weather I should refine my upright trike concept sometime next spring.
The goal being to create a more practical and comfortable version. The current one is great for a big amount of added safety when winterbiking.
It is however very much a standard bike when it comes to carrying stuff. I am spoiled by my cargobike now that I have that perspective.
Other than that I dont really have time for more ebike stuff this winter.

Was all set for my eMotorcycle conversion ... Tested up 8kWh of LiPo!
But deal on my chosen project motorcycle fell through ... AARRRGH!
Still looking ... light weight, street legal,
Have genuine ETEK and AXE 48V 300A controller 8kWh LiPo.
Plan on lightweight bike geared for 40mph (4 kWh battery - in town use) for a start

I have all the parts, so will finally put together a mid-crank drive
Crankin' It - Mid-Mounted Crank Drive

I guess I am most enthusiastic about using a MY1016z3 gear reduction motor to a spoke mount sprocket on a Schwinn Meridian Trike for use as a NEV (Neighborhood Electric Vehicle).
Left rear wheel is unpowered and unbraked.
  • Spoke mount sprocket, without freewheel allows:
  • Motor to left and pedal to right power
  • Left side gear reduction decelerates and slows on downhill grades vs brakes on right
  • Gear reduction is substantial enough to act as parking brake on slight grades

24V x 9T to 32T provides stable 350w @ 10mph
Plenty of gear and voltage options available!

Best of all ... entire "kit" < $100!
(Batteries not included)

eTrike as Mobility Device

• Dual rear motors 350w (x2 = 700w), 1 each wheel provides a lot of possibilities
  • Traction rear tires for farm work, hauling w\trailer etc
  • Studded rear tires and front ski
  • 48V controller with 24V 30A to each motor (10mph high torque) ... switching to 48V 15A to each motor (20mph high speed)

Oh! Momentary contact button to motor @ 3.7V = slow reverse function.

Intense Tracer275, getting a Tangent Ascent kit...
Building a battery case, adding a 180mm fork, lighter beefier wheels, shorter stem, etc.
Motor unit arrives TOMORROW, build thread to follow! WHOOT!!!! \m/ :lol: \m/

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-11-28 at 11.29.24 AM (1).jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-11-28 at 11.29.24 AM (1).jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 4,907
I like this thread. Here is a few things I'm working on.

I will try to update with pics and videos.
1 My wife's bike a older DS Zero converted to a low rider with a Newer S powertrain.
2 My Nissan leaf controller to go into a Honda CRX aiming to break 300hp at the wheels as a starting place.
3 my MX bike.
4 A Dual controller 75-7 4 turn Zero motor to set my friend brad up for drag racing his stretched RZ350 Tuning this in my MX bike for now as in the future I will run something similar
5 New controller design with the best power density and layout imaginable

[youtube]-Eghh0mHdx8[/youtube]

Attachments

• 171.jpg
    171.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 4,899
  • 001_renamed_31698.jpg
    001_renamed_31698.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 4,899
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 4,899
  • Brads best (800 x 492).jpg
    Brads best (800 x 492).jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 4,898
Saracen downhill frame with Suntour forks I picked up for next to nothing. Pair of BMX 20" mag wheels fitted with 16" Michelin M45 80/80/16 moped tyres, 36V 20A DIY battery pack from recycled laptop 18650s, cheap turd motor, Makita angle grinder gearbox to left side sprocket reduction drive. I'll start a build thread soon.

P1070901.jpg
P1070887.jpg
$_57 (1).JPG

Back