Walmart Booster Batteries

Boyntonstu

10 kW
http://www.walmart.com/ip/The-Everstart-Multi-Funciton-Jump-Starter/46528407

This starter features a durable ABS with rubberized housing, built-in 0.5W LED as flashlight and a 12000mAh lithium battery. Use this product as a jump starter, flashlight, emergency charger, or also charge your smart phone or any other devices via the USB output.

$39.00

Everstart Multi-function Jump Starter/Battery Charger, 2 Pack Savings Bundle $64.88

$3.00 a year warranty.

There is no technology currently in volume production that makes the claims of that device possible.

The last "10Ah" USB power storage battery device I bought measured at 2.2Ah.

At almost 9lbs there's no reason it can't have 12ah of 3s 35C lipo. 20ah of 4s only weighs ~7lbs. 12ah of 35C 3s would only weigh ~3lbs. From reviews, max charge is 12.6V and that's 3s.

I think it's plausible that it has 7 or 8 ah in there, of 12v. three pouches. I'm not sure I'm buying it that it's got 12 ah.

Looks great for some uses, like keeping a phone charged, or jumping a car that has no other problems than the battery died. Like not jumping it in 0 F, or something. Just you ran down the battery with a light left on or something.

Not a great buy to get 4 of them to make a bike battery out of them IMO. Look for a Christmas sale price on lawnmower batteries perhaps.

wesnewell said:
At almost 9lbs there's no reason it can't have 12ah of 3s 35C lipo. 20ah of 4s only weighs ~7lbs. 12ah of 35C 3s would only weigh ~3lbs. From reviews, max charge is 12.6V and that's 3s.

Shipping weight includes,cables, clamps, charger, case etc.

I don't believe that the battery weighs 8.82 lb.

Where else can you get 12s 50.4V 12Ah with a 2 year unconditional money back guaranty for 150 bucks?

http://i.walmart.com/i/rb/How to use the jump starter.pdf

Notice the 0.5W LED Flash Light Built-In which can strobe. Imagine driving a car behind 4 up strobes.

Also, unlike the unit above, the 2 wires are plugged in instead of the on/off switch box making for easier connections.

No, for 12ah the battery only needs to weigh ~3 lbs, as I previously stated, and you even quoted. :?

This is the box between the Walmart 12V booster LiPo and the cables.

It does not like me placing the cells in series.

Any ideas?

Walmart%20Jump%20Charger_zpssuzicava.jpg

There are quite small and lightweight.

2 on each side with the LED's and charging port up.

Walmart%20battery%20small_zpsrftt5aiu.jpg

CIMG3064_zpsb2vni3fd.jpg

I am awaiting bullet connectors to wire them in series.

There is a keyed and a round connector.

A keyed to a round will make for easy series connections.

Zip ties, wooo I'm impressed. New thread for every thought, even more impressive.

I would add at least two or three more zip ties per side if that is the only fastener you plan to use. I have snapped a lot of zipties when lazily using them to fasten heavy things. Nothing worse than the sound of battery or two hitting the deck.

Also, curious to see how those walmart batteries perform for you - this is the first I have seen of them. Any specs you can link to?

One thing to remember about zip-ties: they degrade when exposed to UV light. After a few months in direct sunlight they will get brittle and snap. This is why they are never used in aviation, they are only a temporay use item.

WoodlandHills said:
One thing to remember about zip-ties: they degrade when exposed to UV light. After a few months in direct sunlight they will get brittle and snap. This is why they are never used in aviation, they are only a temporay use item.

For what it's worth, can be less than a few months. I believe the black ones are better. I have some white ones in the desert for 9 days and they were super brittle by the end. They didn't snap on my bike, but afterwards just by moving them a small amount I snapped them.

ecycler said:
These are pretty good and solve the UV issue, since he is in FL. The only problem I have had with them is that you can not get them perfectly tight like you can with the plastic ones and they are not quite as flexible:

http://www.amazon.com/Vktech-100pcs...0039&sr=8-1&keywords=stainless+steel+zip+ties

Thanks for the suggestions. It is a prototype. I was going to build a box, but for a quick trial, multiple zip ties are useful. My bike is garaged except for my evening ride time.

The SS ties should last a lifetime. Each side is less than 5 pounds.

I found these as well: http://www.ebay.com/itm/25-GOLIATH-...259613?hash=item4d3caa0e9d:g:m60AAOxy5rpSPSWk

Are those Lead Acid batteries?

Nylon ties won't be strong enough, I fully understand for testing purposes. Hit a little pot hole at speed, bye-bye batteries!

The black ties are more UV rated (a little stronger that the white ones). I'm not sure how strong the Stainless Steel ties are, but better than you have now.

Your rear rack looks questionable as well, consider adding some struts from the rack, to near the rear axle.

Mundo said:
Are those Lead Acid batteries?

Nylon ties won't be strong enough, I fully understand for testing purposes. Hit a little pot hole at speed, bye-bye batteries!

The black ties are more UV rated (a little stronger that the white ones). I'm not sure how strong the Stainless Steel ties are, but better than you have now.

Your rear rack looks questionable as well, consider adding some struts from the rack, to near the rear axle.

LiPo batteries. 4 x 12V

The rack is rated for 22 pounds and the load is about half of that.

Judging from the thickness and the design, I would expect the rack to carry 30-40 lb.

Back