GPS tracker

DasDouble said:
Can this GPS303E thing from aliexpress also cut off the engine etc? Would be awesome. Better than this 2 key spy lock thing...
Yes, it can. It's made by Coban and there's a range of different devices with different capabilities (GPS303A/B/C/D/E/F/G). I've just found out however that the whole GPS303 range is being discontinued and I'm not yet sure of the model that is due to replace it.

Here is a table of the various features of the GPS303 range:
HTB1p18_GXXXXXa4XXXXq6xXFXXX3.jpg

EDIT: I can't claim it has been completely faultless though. I've had issues with the remote start functionality as documented here: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=73175 but I've since come up with an acceptable (to me, at least) workaround.

danielrlee said:
I've had issues with the remote start functionality...

Cool. It hadn't occurred to me to remote start my bike! Wow.

danielrlee said:
DasDouble said:
Can this GPS303E thing from aliexpress also cut off the engine etc? Would be awesome. Better than this 2 key spy lock thing...
Yes, it can. It's made by Coban and there's a range of different devices with different capabilities (GPS303A/B/C/D/E/F/G). I've just found out however that the whole GPS303 range is being discontinued and I'm not yet sure of the model that is due to replace it.

EDIT: I can't claim it has been completely faultless though. I've had issues with the remote start functionality as documented here: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=73175 but I've since come up with an acceptable (to me, at least) workaround.
I would buy the 303e version. But it says that it has not no sirene.. Does that mean it won´t do a sound when the alarm goes on? :O

I should have bought this product instead, I think these are the guys
http://www.coban.net/
http://www.dx.com/p/coban-gps303-d-portable-waterproof-car-gps-gsm-gprs-personnel-tracker-w-remote-controller-275660
http://forum.gpsgate.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17800

Or maybe this one with integrated moving-sensor and many other stuff.

[youtube]X57kxGGTXdo[/youtube]

markz said:
Thats probably a couple hundred bucks!

Sorry? Point being? (As compared to routinely locking/chaining/etc a bike/trike to something else?)

markz said:
Thats probably a couple hundred bucks!
Naah, you can get if on amazon.com for 80$...

The only reason why I would buy this thing is because of this movement-sensor. Really good when you are still in school and everyone wants to see the new "Electric Bike". Especially against people who don´t like the electric thing......... :|

DasDouble said:
danielrlee said:
DasDouble said:

I would buy the 303e version. But it says that it has not no sirene.. Does that mean it won´t do a sound when the alarm goes on? :O
It features the output for a siren in the wiring harness, but doesn't come with the actual siren itself.

DasDouble said:
The only reason why I would buy this thing is because of this movement-sensor. Really good when you are still in school and everyone wants to see the new "Electric Bike". Especially against people who don´t like the electric thing......... :|
You don't need to spend much if all you are really after is a vibration sensor. Even the £10 gps trackers tend to feature them (different to movement sensors that work from GPS triangulation, with which you can do things like create virtual fences). Infact I'd imagine you'd be hard pressed to find one that doesn't feature a vibration sensor.

The real plus point to that SPY 5000M tracker is that it doesn't require a cellular connection (although maybe also a minus point depending on your viewpoint).

All I want is SMS texting when unit is activated, tracking and motion detection. I like the unit that slides in the headset.
I would be worried about how strong the GSM and GPS signals are.

I watched a few hours worth of videos on youtube (From user "TopTechBoy"), on Adafruits DIY package. His setup couldnt; the GPS signal could not get out of a single story building in Eldrado Texas, looked like a steel roof from his Google Earth GPS tracking tutorial. I couldnt tell if it was a concrete building or not, easy to find out with street view. He was not using any antennas at all, just whatevers on the chip board. So perhaps with the different strengths of antenna for GSM and GPS, maybe the signals could penetrate a regular house construction. I am in the basement of a duplex walkout, 2001 built wood const. house with a tiled roof, open office door, and one basement window to neighbors. GSM signal is strong, not even close to tall buildings. I would assume GPS is stronger then GSM signals.

Anyway, thats what I worry about. Someone stealing my bike, and not being able to track it because the signals can not penetrate a simple garage.

markz said:
All I want is SMS texting when unit is activated, tracking and motion detection. I like the unit that slides in the headset.
I would be worried about how strong the GSM and GPS signals are.

I watched a few hours worth of videos on youtube (From user "TopTechBoy"), on Adafruits DIY package. His setup couldnt; the GPS signal could not get out of a single story building in Eldrado Texas, looked like a steel roof from his Google Earth GPS tracking tutorial. I couldnt tell if it was a concrete building or not, easy to find out with street view. He was not using any antennas at all, just whatevers on the chip board. So perhaps with the different strengths of antenna for GSM and GPS, maybe the signals could penetrate a regular house construction. I am in the basement of a duplex walkout, 2001 built wood const. house with a tiled roof, open office door, and one basement window to neighbors. GSM signal is strong, not even close to tall buildings. I would assume GPS is stronger then GSM signals.

Anyway, thats what I worry about. Someone stealing my bike, and not being able to track it because the signals can not penetrate a simple garage.

Yeah I have to agree. Same here. I think in london it will be really hard or like somewhere in a big city. Maybe an extra antenna will work, I don´t know. But one time the robber will have to carry the bike out. Doesn´t matter when. You will have to try it really often if this is the case that a simple garage is blocking the whole thing... :roll:

-What´s the different of GPS and GSM?

Cheers, Elias

GPS are the satellites, tracks whatever you want.
GSM is the cell site radio towers, for texting you the co-ordinates, then you use some app and google maps, track the thief down with your baseball bat and do some batting practice! :lol:

markz said:
GPS are the satellites, tracks whatever you want.
GSM is the cell site radio towers, for texting you the co-ordinates, then you use some app and google maps, track the thief down with your baseball bat and do some batting practice! :lol:

Don´t have to where I live. Call tha police and those suckers gonna get sucked up xD

Those trackers use GMS ( a Sim Card ) to communicate with that GMS Cell Phone Towers,

However

Many people have CDMA phones, ( No Sim Card ) What trackers are available for CDMA ?

Is there a link to a small 110 Db motion alarm ?

Thanks

There's probably others, but a search on those terms finds
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=44234&
p=644018&hilit=110+Db+motion+alarm#p644018
that might help?

Regarding CDMA, I thought I had read somewhere that that type of service is going away, in the not too distant future, in at least some places, but I can't find that now.

http://cellphones.about.com/od/phoneglossary/g/cdma.htm
CDMA, or Code Division Multiple Access, is a competing cell phone service technology to GSM, which is the world’s most widely used cell phone standard.

CDMA uses a “spread-spectrum” technique whereby electromagnetic energy is spread to allow for a signal with a wider bandwidth. This allows multiple people on multiple cell phones to be “multiplexed” over the same channel to share a bandwidth of frequencies.

Yeah so AMPS was never secure, I remember listening into phone conversations in my college lab class. With those old phones all we had to do was short out 2 of the 4 contact pads. Think of CDMA as 1G.

ScooterMan101 said:

Plan B maybe? Search out "Geofencing". Per one site "a virtual border that you set up in seconds. When a GPS tracker crosses that border, you're instantly notified via text or email." Gets back to my theory, better to catch a thief than to deter.
:wink:

LockH said:
ScooterMan101 said:

Plan B maybe? Search out "Geofencing". Per one site "a virtual border that you set up in seconds. When a GPS tracker crosses that border, you're instantly notified via text or email." Gets back to my theory, better to catch a thief than to deter.
:wink:

I like the SPY 5000 meters two way Alarm Thing. You have a remote controll, so you can stop the engine of the bike as soon as the Alarm goes off or when you want it via wireless Controller. Is about 80 bucks or so. I don´t know

In my area, CDMA is used by many , anyone on Sprint, Verizon, and Virgin Mobile still are on the CDMA system.
Perhaps since there are so many cell phone users on CDMA in this area, it will be around for quite a while in this area.

Next time I talk with my cell company I will ask about the future of CDMA.

amberwolf said:
There's probably others, but a search on those terms finds
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=44234&
p=644018&hilit=110+Db+motion+alarm#p644018
that might help?

Regarding CDMA, I thought I had read somewhere that that type of service is going away, in the not too distant future, in at least some places, but I can't find that now.

Don't remember if I mentioned this before, I went to my local Pet Supply Store and looked into GPS dog trackers, they are quite expensive, and would work well for making a
virtual " Fence " for a runaway dog, and it would work for anyone who lives in a house , who park their bikes in an open garage or outside ,
However I only need a tracker and / or alarm when parking the bike out in a public place. So for me and others a more simple / cost effective one specifically for bikes will be much better.

Silicon Valley is full of people who could design / make some simple circuit board devices , and some are here on Endless-Sphere. Here is your chance , Myself I just do not have the knowledge or know someone who could
Design/Make / Market a bike alarm/tracker , so must leave it to someone here on Endless-Sphere to do so. ( you have your first customer , Me )

DasDouble , The Spy 5000 looks good for a motorcycle, If I had a expensive BMW S1000rr or such, or a newer Sportbike the kind that often gets stolen then I would buy the Spy 5000.

However For my bicycle,
I will try to find something with a smaller " box " and remote, or that works with a iPhone or Android Phone, ( I am going to be on the CDMA system for quite a while )

I like the SPY 5000 meters two way Alarm Thing. You have a remote controll, so you can stop the engine of the bike as soon as the Alarm goes off or when you want it via wireless Controller. Is about 80 bucks or so. I don´t know[/quote]

OK. I give up! I'm just gonna get a label to fix prominently on the top of the front fender for my recumbent tricycle:

WARNING: GPS Tracker Installed!

(No actual tracker installed yet. Just this label installed.) :wink:

Back