Turnigy Multistar - lightweight 10C cells

Getting 2x20ah 4s and 1x20ah 6s delivered tomorrow. This will be my perfect pack with a mix of size, weight and capacity I think. Hopefully no self dischargers this time. Let me know if you need any measurements of size as they have mucked up the orientation of the dimensions I think/hope.

bionicdan said:
Getting 2x20ah 4s and 1x20ah 6s delivered tomorrow. This will be my perfect pack with a mix of size, weight and capacity I think. Hopefully no self dischargers this time. Let me know if you need any measurements of size as they have mucked up the orientation of the dimensions I think/hope.

Please post a few photos of everything in one shot with a reference item (tin of Coke is a good example as it's a similar shape)..... and width, height, lengths. Thanks!

johnamon said:
Please post a few photos of everything in one shot with a reference item (tin of Coke is a good example as it's a similar shape)..... and width, height, lengths. Thanks!

will do.
hopefully its gonna fill this bag woo :)
20140825_215807_zpsbf1976e1.jpg

says 127 and 109 usd on international warehouse on the 1 time offer :)

Anyway heres some pics. Of course I have the obligatory self discharging cells every time I order two packs at the same time as if i wont mind or something as I have two the same.

They are 1-2mm smaller than stated all round making them 142x88x197mm HxWxL when stacked up. NO MORE BASHING MY LEGS WOOO

The plastic wrap means the cells lay on the flats not the ends as it is with all the other ones I have. Not sure how that debate went about damage being easier one way or the other?

20150930_185035_zpsqvozemlt.jpg

20150930_185021_zps2ugpn3dq.jpg

I used under 9.5ah on my first ride and they went down to 3.81v resting.

well its fire resistant he he. Actually its my mums house. I was just showing off cool stuff to my brother who is only 19. His mates all came out to watch me zoom off at 37mph lol

If the 10C cells are really best used at 2.5C (or 4C with the 16ah's), do you think this 2C rated multistar will be only good at 0.5C or something lower? Or is it probably rated more honestly? I can't find any reviews or testing info on the 2-3C ones
http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/store/__55805__Multistar_High_Capacity_Lightweight_8S_12000mAh_2C_Multi_Rotor_Lipo_Pack.html?strSearch=12000mah

To be safe I bought some 20ah 10C's which are great

The 20C will serve you well at 1-1.5C continuous or 3C peak.
I have used my 10Ah Multistars with a 60A controller and after 4 months use the cells' capacity starts to diverge.
They will still hold top balance but became very inconsistent on bottom end, requiring a much higher LVC.
I need to retire the cells and return to my 2yr old Zippies which are much higher C and still keep perfect balance top and bottom. They are a lot heavier though.

miuan said:
The 20C will serve you well at 1-1.5C continuous or 3C peak.
I have used my 10Ah Multistars with a 60A controller and after 4 months use the cells' capacity starts to diverge.
They will still hold top balance but became very inconsistent on bottom end, requiring a much higher LVC.
I need to retire the cells and return to my 2yr old Zippies which are much higher C and still keep perfect balance top and bottom. They are a lot heavier though.

Okay, What voltage are you running and how many in parallel?

After a year on the 10AH packs i saw a 5-8% loss of capacity in the packs. But i was running them in 4P and only using 25-30A on a BBS02

icecube57 said:
After a year on the 10AH packs i saw a 5-8% loss of capacity in the packs. But i was running them in 4P and only using 25-30A on a BBS02
That's somewhat disappointing for running at less than 1C. May I ask your typical charge/storage voltage?

I charged before rides and left them at a half discharge state. Until used again which could be a day or two or a week later. The loss is quite respectable compared to other cells like zippy 8AH which went from 8 down to 7.2 to 7.5AH after a season

How are everyones Multistars holding up? I'm thinking about getting 10x 16Ah 4s for my Vector. They are priced at $79.64 (and actually in stock), has anyone seen them for a lower price? I'm trying to figure out if I should wait or just pull the trigger. I currently have 25Ah of the 5Ah hardcases. I want a lighter battery though. This will cut my weight in half with 16Ah loaded in, then if I decide I'm going for a long trip, I can pop in the other packs for 32Ah. Or maybe I'll just keep all 32Ah in there all the time, it still comes out a pound or two lighter and waaaay less spaghetti wiring .

Im running 66v 32AH on a Mxus 4T. They are running great. Never need balancing. Always within 0.01v of each other. Excellent performance. I havent did any capacity loss checks lately.. mainly cause Im not pushing them to empty every time because its a huge pack. I charge mine when I need it. Leave it discharged until the next ride. I store them in a cool area. the 16AH are 2p. meaning two cells are in parallel so they have a lower IR and can put out more power with less voltage sag. These are ok to 4-5C I haven test the 20AH but the reports are they are 1p. Normally larger AH cells have a lower IR too but I tested the 10AH cells which are 1P and they were only good to 2.5C so I transfer those same specs to the 20AH. So i suspect the 20Ah are only good for 2.5C as well.

So what does it mean when there is a line marked through the Back Order button on HK's site?
Is it that their out of stock and they are discontinuing the product?
Looks that way for some of the 5.2 Multistar batteries
lets hope not
Here is HK Response
Code:
Marnelie11:18:59 AM
Yes, the back order item with no line that means that you just need to wait the restocking of 30 days but the back order item with line, we are not sure when will the item it will back on stock.
claire11:19:52 AM

Doesn't mean it's necessarily discontinued but don't expect it to be restocked within 30 days. There has been something with the same line that was in backorder for almost a year :(

got four of these 6S 5200mAH 10C... I put two of them in series to make it 12S.

I drew maximum 29A peak; riding smoothly on my E-MTB. I have 3 sessions with them. At this time, even charged and balanced at 95% with a Hyperion Duo charger (i.e top notch charger), I had a beep warning on one of these pack saying that the voltage of one cell was too low.

So at this time, and even with a gentle and smooth use... I don't recommend getting these packs... even if you draw less than 30A peak... which is really not much (but usual on 12S).

It seems that the smaller the pack I guess the worst sag there is. If you did 12s 2s 2P. You in theory were barely able to squeak by and stay under the suggested 2.5-3C threshold. I have a friend that was about to buy a crap load of these but in the 4s version. Glad you posted your experience. Typically with larger format cells the IR is better and they can take more abuse but these smaller packs the IR must be high for them to perform so poorly. But they should still give capacity. These packs maybe good if you use them to get the AH and pair it with a nanotech to help prop up the C rating.

It is possible with your three sessions that you might have over discharged one pack and it went into reversal. Also when you get these packs a good balancing session and discharge test for capacity is always in order with anything from hobby king. Its quite possible you have a pack with a dud cell that performs poorly doesnt give capacity and is probably self discharging to a certain extent 3 rides on a 10Ah pack is a tall order. Not sure if you have a cycle analyst and was tracking AH. But if you never initially check the packs for capacity who is to say you have a 10AH pack. That one bad cell could not be giving capacity and you went to discharge 10AH but there was only 8.5-9 Ah available and you couldn't tell you were over discharging it. So many scenarios run through my mind but the info you gave us is incomplete.

They are selling those multistar 4s 16,000 packs for $55 dollars now. That is really cheap.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__66486__Multistar_High_Capacity_4S_16000mAh_Multi_Rotor_Lipo_Pack_AR_Warehouse_.html

Too bad I've decided to switch over to 18650 cells.

cwah said:
If you can only pull 3C max.... why don't you just get the ncr18650pf? They also pull 3c max and are lighter too!

I went with the Sanyo NCR18650GA 3500 cells actually. In comparison they are lighter and you can get more capacity.

Only drawback is you have to run the volts down to 3.3 volts to get the capacity out of them compared to lipo at like 3.7 volts.

What i like about cells over packs is that i can maximize my battery space better with cells. Which is exactly what I need to do with my new Qulbix Q76R frame which is 76mm wide and very thin. I plan on fitting a 3000KW pack into it and using the complete frame opening for a removable pack.

There is no way I can do this with packs like the mutistars.

The other benefit I heard is that 18650 cells like the Sanyo they say have a much greater cycle life, even as much as double. If that is true then cells could be the better value.

But it is hard to compete when they sell these multistars discounted like this.

Attention Aussies !!!
HK seem to be clearing out stocks on the Multistars locally ( global whs is nearly all back order on these already ?)
...but they are cutting the prices regularly to really low levels ..so check regularly if you need some cheap , high capacity Lipo .
I wonder if they have something new in the pipeline to replace them ?

Back