10S custom skate ESC: testers wanted!

[youtube]tvgSYLmx9rQ[/youtube]

at this time, FOC does not work on 12S but works fine on 6S as per my testing. On 12S HW4.10, the detection does not calculate adequately R (even when running lambda in delay mode before) when clicking Measure R and L ... It stays at R: 0,00000 Ω

I also got some errors DRV on the terminal

Fault : FAULT_CODE_DRV8302
Current : 6.1
Current filtered : 6.1
Voltage : 49.77
Duty : 0.01
RPM : 1173.3
Tacho : 0
Cycles running : 27
TIM duty : 106
TIM val samp : 5
TIM current samp : 16798
TIM top : 16800
Comm step : 1
Temperature : 25.32

Current : 0.4
Current filtered : 0.4
Voltage : 49.73
RPM : 408.5
Cycles running : 7
TIM duty : 136
Temperature : 25.37

Current : 8.6
Current filtered : 8.6
Voltage : 49.73
RPM : 765.1
Cycles running : 12
TIM duty : 194
Temperature : 25.47

Current : -0.6
Current filtered : -0.6
Voltage : 49.71
Duty : 0.02
RPM : 759.4
Cycles running : 12
TIM duty : 383
Temperature : 25.60

Current : -0.2
Current filtered : -0.2
Voltage : 49.71
Duty : 0.05
RPM : 734.1
Tacho : 6
Cycles running : 22
TIM duty : 798
Temperature : 25.82

I have switched back to BLDC mode with the same motor config, works fine.

No faults registered since startup

=> What I am saying is that even with the good FOC parameters, 12S is not working in FOC.

By the way, here are the values for the RSPEC motors, it seems autodetection works on HW4.7 12S.

RSPECFOC.png

elkick said:
It works perfect on both versions 4.7 and 4.10 - I just tested it this morning on both. I'm still speechless!
Hi elkick, have you figured out parameters for the carvon hub motors?

I just did the normal FOC detection with the CarvOn motors (on both of them, first lambda [delay selected in BLDC tab], then "r and l", then "calc" and at the end "apply", "write config"), connected them with can bus with the normal app values and adjusted the startup boost (advance tab) to 0.030 again. That's all basically

elkick said:
I just did the normal FOC detection with the CarvOn motors (on both of them, first lambda [delay selected in BLDC tab], then "r and l", then "calc" and at the end "apply", "write config"), connected them with can bus with the normal app values and adjusted the startup boost (advance tab) to 0.030 again. That's all basically

Thanks man! Will give a shot.. did you figure this out:

"Stupid question maybe: do we have to put commutation mode back to "integrate" after detection and before "write config" in the BLDC tab? Or should it stay in "delay" mode?"

Also, do you notice any loss of power in FOC modE?

The delay option doesn't apply, since you have to select FOC in the general motor config tab. Do it doesn't matter.

I didn't realize any power differences, but they are definitely quieter. Actually I noticed that startup is more convenient since there is no short "stuttering" anymore.

I'm getting a buffer erase timeout trying to update the firmware on Chaka's vesc - any tips?

okp said:
I had this message, I just powered off/on, connect then Upload

Yes, Thank you - I finally got it updated. Using jaccobloy OSX version - looks like the usb port changed to: /dev/tty.usbmodem310 from /dev/tty.usbmodem261

I am using it with carvon hub motor.

It is definitely more quiet - pretty amazing, actually... i think my parameters may not be ideal yet though - On climbing hills, I get sudden power lost which I did not get before... will wait for vedder's tutorial video

also some odd issue where motor won't spin unless I power off the board and power it back on (doesn't seem to be nunchuck related as it is still connected - solid blue light).

Nice to see that so many people have tried the FOC implementation already :)

Stupid question maybe: do we have to put commutation mode back to "integrate" after detection and before "write config" in the BLDC tab? Or should it stay in "delay" mode?
This does not matter since FOC works in a completely different way. The FOC code is mostly separate from the BLDC code.

It is definitely more quiet - pretty amazing, actually... i think my parameters may not be ideal yet though - On climbing hills, I get sudden power lost which I did not get before... will wait for vedder's tutorial video
This is most likely the temperature protection that activates. There is more switching with FOC so the FETs will get warmer than before. Since you are running hub motor you can try to decrease the switching frequency to 15 KHz or so, but you will hear modulation noise then.

also some odd issue where motor won't spin unless I power off the board and power it back on (doesn't seem to be nunchuck related as it is still connected - solid blue light).
This is probably due to a bug where most of the FOC state variables become nan that I haven't resolved yet. okps issues on 12s could be caused by this as well, but I'm not sure. Hopefully I will have another update soon now that I'm getting a lot of feedback. This is the first implementation of FOC after all and there are thousands of new lines of code, so everything won't work perfectly yet.

I think this is solved in FW 2.4 that I pushed just now.

This is most likely the temperature protection that activates. There is more switching with FOC so the FETs will get warmer than before. Since you are running hub motor you can try to decrease the switching frequency to 15 KHz or so, but you will hear modulation noise then.

Changing it 15KHz solved the temperature overload problem. still really quiet.

vedder said:

will test it out - seems to occur after substained braking...

vedder said:

new version works great. no more motor lock problem... thank you

PCB 4.7 - FW2.3 - ENERTION RSPEC 190kv MOTORS
- auto detection on 12S : SUCCESS
- auto detection on less than 12S : SUCCESS
- using FOC on 12S : FAIL (motors are jerking)
- nunchuck mod NRF : SUCCESS

PCB 4.10 FW2.3 - SK 168kv 6374 MOTORS

- auto detection on 12S : FAIL (R is detected to 0)
- auto detection on less than 12S : SUCCESS
- using FOC on 12S : FAIL (motors are jerking)
- nunchuck mod NRF : FAIL

Thanks for the FOC implementation Vedder exceptional work yet again.

I have managed to test the new software on my DIY V4.7 board (just finished it yesterday). Sounds awesome on the bench, I can not wait to road test the new software. I did have an issue with the motor seeming to slip at start up when the RPMs were very low, that looks as though it is fixed with the V2.4 firmware.

This is my finished VESC, only took me 6 months to finish (hence V4.7). Don't look to close :oops: and sorry for the poor photo quality.
View attachment 2
View attachment 1

This is roughly how they will look in my board when finished:
2_VESC.jpg

Unfortunately it looks like I stuffed the DRV on my old VESC when I tried to install the new firmware (I forgot to edit the conf_general.h file before uploading and testing the VESC) so it might be a day or two before I get my board back on the road. Cant wait to unveil stealth mode.

Thanks again Vedder and Community.

jacobbloy said:
chaka said:
We have a shipment of VESC compatible vertical usb ports on order so we can make this happen. Looks to like we can save about 10mm in width by sticking with Vedder's original design!

0ce2fab6424ee4c31d86389516af2261e7f4fb9a_1_623x500.jpg

why don't you flip the second esc so that the the 2 can bus are next to each other the same as what i have done, the you only need 1 usb.

For reasons I am sure you and Jason will soon find out. You will not be able to mount the jst headers on the back side of the pcb so you are stuck with having jst headers on both sides of the board. Not a very good design in my opinion, it eliminates being able to access everything while it is installed.

I am sure grouping two VESC on one board will lower production cost, I did check and get a quote, but it seems to be the only reason why we would need a dual PCB since sticking with the original design is actually more compact.

Thanks Chaka, I'm slowly getting there with the soldering, think I'll try a V4.10 board next. Hey OKP, I have the boards mounted on nylon stand offs with plenty of clearance from the carbon, I also use a lot of heat shrink on my connectors and leads.

Anyway, I have an issue with my other VESC, ever since I replaced the DRV chip the TVS diode overheats very quickly when I connect the board to my power supply. I managed to update the firmware and connect the VESC to the BLDC Tool after the DRV replacement. At about this time I noticed a smoking TVS diode.

I have reworked the most of the board (particularly the MCU and DRV), replaced the TVS diode, and checked the board for bad solder joints or shorts, every thing looks ok.

I have one or two suspects but would appreciate any suggestions?

Cheers,

scoobiext said:
Thanks Chaka, I'm slowly getting there with the soldering, think I'll try a V4.10 board next. Hey OKP, I have the boards mounted on nylon stand offs with plenty of clearance from the carbon, I also use a lot of heat shrink on my connectors and leads.

Anyway, I have an issue with my other VESC, ever since I replaced the DRV chip the TVS diode overheats very quickly when I connect the board to my power supply. I managed to update the firmware and connect the VESC to the BLDC Tool after the DRV replacement. At about this time I noticed a smoking TVS diode.

I have reworked the most of the board (particularly the MCU and DRV), replaced the TVS diode, and checked the board for bad solder joints or shorts, every thing looks ok.

I have one or two suspects but would appreciate any suggestions?

Cheers,

Check the pins on the lower left hand side of the DRV chip Sounds like you have a bridge. If you have a jeweler loupe use it and take a close look.

Hi guys

I am about to receive 2 VESCs for my dual 50mm. Pneumatic build.
I am a bit, OK a lot, apprehensive of the VESC configuration as there are so many parameters that I have no idea about.
I have downloaded the bldc. FW2.3 FOC and would like to use the FOC ability.
I have read as much as I can but there is a lot of fragmented info and to be honest a lot confuddes me. :)

I would like to ask if some of you guys could send me some XML files that I can load into the bldc tool to have a look at.
If someone has a file for a 5065 270kv motor (mine is from Alien power systems) I would really appreciate it.

Many thanks
WeeCh

Back