LIVE NOW.. Zerocast about Zero motor!

Doctorbass

100 GW
That was pretty cool. You even got some love.

Some day I want to own a Zero. Hopefully in the next couple years.

Ryan rocks, that was excellent.

Zero Motorcycles new Internal Perm Mag motor rotor design results in stable flux through the magnets for greatly reduced internal heat generation within the sensitive magnets. And they are encased in the rotor iron so there is no chance of getting loose. Surface Mount rotors subject the magnets to big flux changes as they rotate raising heat. Zero is running winding temps to 150C.
http://livestream.com/accounts/14139273/events/4534534
12347641_920320284713751_2573996556240502809_n.jpg

12341314_920320288047084_227915582062388827_n.jpg

Reminds me of the chevy spark motor which is a great motor

Using smaller magnets and epoxy(non conductive) coating is a great way to reduce eddy current losses in the mags but I bet that is only part of the reason it can be run hotter without the mags demagnetizing

The other part has to do with the better working point of the magnet when fully surrounded by steel allowing for more leeway

[youtube]zCo3QUeQ8fA[/youtube]

you could probably double the torque with a v shape mag config

partly due to the increased reluctance torque

and partly due to the increased magnet surface area (research papers and multi variate sims dont pick up on this)

you may call this flux focusing but the important thing is the increases surface area for a given pole surface area

increasing magnet thickness hits a point of diminishing returns so the v config allows two thinner magnets meaning you save money

man, I wish I saw this when it was live...

flathill said:

and partly due to the increased magnet surface area (research papers and multi variate sims dont pick up on this)

you may call this flux focusing but the important thing is the increases surface area for a given pole surface area

increasing magnet thickness hits a point of diminishing returns so the v config allows two thinner magnets meaning you save money

After seeing the improvements going with internal magnets, I can see no other choice. Only areas in the steel that see much flux change are areas that are most exposed for cooling methods to have major effect. Much more even in flux. Separate v style looks very impressive. Would love to get just one of those sections for a ebike motor. May be worth buying a salvage car just to pull apart / rebuild into something useful.

spinningmagnets said:
Great info, thanks for posting. Are the Zero magnets SmCo?

N40SH if I remember correctly.

flathill said:

Hello,

internal permanent magnets motors gives about 30% more torque with the reluctance/saliency effect produced.
so you can design with more torque in mind or use less magnets for same torque, you choose (for car makers it's no doubt less $)
BUT it require special driving parameters to obtain the boost compared to classical PM motor.

there is more and more studies data about these IMPM, as this one :D

Back