HPC Revolution XXX

I have a 148mm BB so room is limited between the crank arms. The mounts act as heat sinks and they're open to airflow so I'm hoping since I won't be running this motor at full capacity things should be okay. A backup plan would be a fan under the controller but with the opening down there already, ram air may be fine. I guess back to your question, with a wider BB and a motor shaft specd longer a fan could be mounted.

awesome build!
can´t wait to see the electronics (battery assembly) and the performance.

any update on this build?
did you manage to measure the no load currents?

Hi Guys,

I know, I know, I will find some time to get this complete. I just need some 18650s in the right configuration and it will be done. It's hard to stay motivated in Feb. in Ontario. Here's what I see when I look out the window... here's what the weather looks like this morning, yes that says minus. Like I said, hard to stay motivated. For all you living in warm climates, thank someone you are where you are :) I was super busy with family stuff, moving etc. sadly my bike sits in a lonely corner of my basement. Maybe all these new posts were just what i needed to get my butt moving on this again. I do have some new stuff (gearing) to add to the bike, I'll post that shortly.

Attachments

• IMG_2532.JPG
    IMG_2532.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 3,505
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 3,505
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 3,505
just be glad that any testing you do doesn't start with your controller just 20C below the point it starts overheating mate... and thats in the shade :p. all i see is an extra 60 Deg C of (or 4x :shock: ) delta T there that you could be exploiting heheh.

Hi,

could you please post some info about the bracket mount on the motor shaft? Im quite concerned about this one..
Im a custom frame builder based in Germany and would like to use that motor, too..
Maybee, you have some CAD data.. im using SLDWRKS

Greetings, Jordan

I am so looking forward to writing about this, there's a lot of readers who will be blown away by this awesome ebike. Its winter now, so electricbike.com is only averaging about 11,000 clicks a day. Love the custom builds....

If ES had a cool wall, this bike would definitly be in the sub zero section. Bike of 2015 in my opinion.

@jumperjackflash

Thanks for the data, but was not exactly what i was looking for.
I was wondering how the chain sprocket is mounted on the shaft, maybee you can hell me here as well.

Btw awesome build here, but seems reaaaly expensive

Jordan,

The freewheel (with the chain sprocket) is mounted on the motor shaft (the purple item in the attached pdf).

I was planning on building one just like this one but it was out of my budget. :?

Attachments

• HPC Buildup.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 121
Thanks BrumBrum for the nice comments. Wow jumperjackflash, that CAD looks awfully close to my designs :D right down to the milled step on the motor mount side to clear the frame. Just curious why the step? Awesome CAD skills, I have a multistage reduction with clutch twirling around in my head, I should have you model it. Brumbrum, check out some of my early pages, there's also a video link on one of the pages that outlines the freewheel on the crank and how it mates to the crank.

Hello Leeleeducati,

I reversed engineered your designs from your pictures. :D Awesome design by the way.

I was going to build a clone of yours but the HPC frame was too expensive. The step is to clear the frame like you said.

I would be happy to model in your clutch...or if you need the CAD model I can post it on this thread.

We all look forward to seeing your XXX up and running!!!. :lol:

Alright then,

and where do you get a freewheel from that can take on all that power released by the motor? wouldnt a normal bmx freewheel just brake in 1000 pieces? :D

first, i was thinking of using the revolt 120 pro motor, but this one seems to be way too wide if you see the attached pics. the 160 short would be only 114mm wide, but still i would need to widen the battery case (also more room for batteries - so why not).

The white box in the pic is the controller, the blue boxes the battery packs (18650 cells each 5s 7p)

Attachments

• Rahmen Gesamt 3.0.JPG
    Rahmen Gesamt 3.0.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 3,211
  • Rahmen Gesamt 3.0 1.JPG
    Rahmen Gesamt 3.0 1.JPG
    163.8 KB · Views: 3,211
Hi Jordan,

Nice modelling work. Don't forget these motors are outrunners, so save some clearance room for around the batteries. Also, don't forget chainline, for me this turned out to be the most challenging part of the build so far, along with gearing, which I have some new ideas/product to post. Your model shows a large hub, is this some hybrid mid/hub drive? Yes most certainly these freewheels will eventually give. I believe I mentioned it before, those components are sacrificial. Freewheels are soo cheap that it was the best place to start the concept. I do have plans to replace breaking pieces with stronger better ideas. For freewheels, I'd be moving to a sprag. you can get some very heavy duty industrial units <50mm diam. that will handle the torque. Sprag looks like it might be the future anyway, some hub mfg's appear to be toying with the idea. Also, don't forget controller/throttle settings, you'd want to program as much of a usable "soft start" as you can to limit that initial torque.

Hey LeeLeeducati,

thanks. i mailed Alexey for CAD data of the RV160 Short, man this guy is awesome, such a great support!
This one fits much better, im thinking of another way to clamp the sprocket on the shaft, will present it when its done.
Im even thinking of no freewheel, there would be a slight cog, but i dont really care bout that.

I do also have an idea for gearing, directly implemented in my frame, so that i just need one tensioner or with luck, even no one (wish me luck here :D).
Was thinking of the standard KV and then an average ratio of 3 or 4 motor :1 wheel.

Alexey said the motor has around 40Nm torque on startup, sp i will calculate with a bit more to be save, dont want to machine all day long after a broken axle ;)

Do you think its a problem, when the motors weight is not exactly in the middle of the frame?

ive planned to use at least 2mm as a safety distance from all spinning parts, and to isolate motor and batteries from each other with a piece of sheet metal.

but like i said, will post more when im done with planning :)

Jordan.1 said:
Alexey said the motor has around 40Nm torque on startup, sp i will calculate with a bit more to be save, dont want to machine all day long after a broken axle ;)
the maximum torque depends on the set phase amps of your controller. i would ask for that value because this is what you need to know.

Back