disecting a Sanyo/Rabbit Tool 250W PAS geared hub motor

Mathurin said:
Since the speed sensor is a magnet thing like on a bike computer, then extending the wires and mounting the pickup on the cranks would disable speed limiting.

Also looks like there's a shunt here, adding solder should let it pass more amps:

Hi
Our motor in europe are restricted to 15 mph and in the us they are not
I am getting a controller from a man over there in Canada so i should just be able to swap it and all will be ok and unrestricted is that right,
thanks,
Wraggy. :roll:

Mathurin said:
Since the speed sensor is a magnet thing like on a bike computer, then extending the wires and mounting the pickup on the cranks would disable speed limiting.

Also looks like there's a shunt here, adding solder should let it pass more amps:

Hi,
If i can buy a un-restricted one from usa/canada could i just swap it over,
Also could i change it to a chain system instead of the v belt
Wraggy

Hi,
Please does anybody have any pictures of the hybrid bike they can put on here for me,
thanks,
Andy. :D

Mathurin said:

Hi
I have just got a controller from the us,
the ones we have here are restricted so if i just swap this one all should be ok
On my mercedes hybrid it cuts out at 15 mph and the 300 watt sanyo motor is govened to 220 watts
Please can you tell me if there is anything else i will need to do,
thanks,
Andy.

Post pictures of the new controller please.

Mathurin said:

Hi,
As soon as it comes i will i have got from rkosiorek off this site he said that he did not know that the bike in the Eu Was restricted
So it is the same as what is on this site if you look at the pics rkosiorek has put on,
please can you tell me what you think

Also do you know where i can get a bigger battery than what is in the bike 24v 5000ma
the size to fit in case is 14" x3" x3

thanks,
Wraggy"

Mathurin said:

i'm sending him the controller that is in the pictures. not one like it but that identical one.

rick

rkosiorek said:
Mathurin said:

i'm sending him the controller that is in the pictures. not one like it but that identical one.

rick
Hi Rick
Looking forward to getting it,
Wraggy :D

Hello i have a sachs cmu-1 wheel, but i see a other controller with 2 blue thinks you can adjust.
Is this for tourq en speed?

See pics.

Attachments

• 20161026_221001-768x1365.jpg
    20161026_221001-768x1365.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 2,533
  • 20161026_221011-768x1365.jpg
    20161026_221011-768x1365.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 2,533
Hello,
I have a mercedes hybrid e-bike with cmu-3m. The bike is very heavy. Driving on a straight road 20km / h is a torture. Please let me somebody help to take off the speed limit on this bike.

Regards,
Slawek

Hi all,

I'm really impressed by technical details and professional competence of this topic !
I learned a lot, really.

Thank you, rkosiorek !!

I would love to hear from you again too :)
I'm eager to repeat myself your setup with the external controller on 36V.
Could you point me to some type of controller, please ?

It would be my pleasure to report my feedback on this again, and in details.
My motor is the IGH version.

Brgds
A

Jesus Christ !
I did not know it....
I'm SORRY, please excuse my ignorance.
I read it all.... the condolence page.
I would say a contributor like Rick here, deserved all written there !
R.I.P. Rick !

Dear all,

I am new to the forum, and just wanted to mention here that I have worked for quite a bit on these Sanyo hubs mentioned above. In Germany and the Netherlands, they have been sold in two versions, one with three internal gears and one with a freewheel pylon (7sp). I have rebuilt a PCB for the 7 speed version, which now runs at a higher battery voltage (re-built with Li-ion battery).
I also found that the version with internal gears is very suited for use with a 7 series Li-ion battery as is (without electronic modifications), since the lower limit of the battery voltage corresponds exactly with the lower limit of a 7s battery. Battery damage through depletion can thus be prevented in an easy fashion.

Please find my blog if you would like to know more:
https://tinkertalkingb.art.blog/2020/02/10/e-bike-tinkering-sanyo-cmu-1/
https://tinkertalkingb.art.blog/2021/10/21/e-bike-tinkering-sanyo-cmu-overview/

Also feel free to contact me!

Best regards,
Bart

oostenrb said:
Dear all,

I am new to the forum, and just wanted to mention here that I have worked for quite a bit on these Sanyo hubs mentioned above. In Germany and the Netherlands, they have been sold in two versions, one with three internal gears and one with a freewheel pylon (7sp). I have rebuilt a PCB for the 7 speed version, which now runs at a higher battery voltage (re-built with Li-ion battery).
I also found that the version with internal gears is very suited for use with a 7 series Li-ion battery as is (without electronic modifications), since the lower limit of the battery voltage corresponds exactly with the lower limit of a 7s battery. Battery damage through depletion can thus be prevented in an easy fashion.

Please find my blog if you would like to know more:
https://tinkertalkingb.art.blog/2020/02/10/e-bike-tinkering-sanyo-cmu-1/
https://tinkertalkingb.art.blog/2021/10/21/e-bike-tinkering-sanyo-cmu-overview/

Also feel free to contact me!

Best regards,
Bart

Hello Bart,

Great work on the motor with the Arduino as the controller. Very interesting! How is that holding up for you?

I have just got my hands on a Mercedes Hybrid bike with the Sanyo CMU-3M. Everything is still original, lightly used and I am now wondering which route I should take with this bike.
1. Either use the stock CMU-3M and replace the Batteries with a 24v 7s Li-ion, which I guess should work. :?:
2. Upgrade 36v 10s and add an external brushed motor controller for the new voltage, but then have to use a throttle (illegal in Germany I think :shock: ).
3. or 36v with a Custom PCB in the hub motor using the torque sensor (or whatever is in there). Looks most tempting and elegant to me, but most complicated. :mrgreen:

Any words of wisdom for me?

Best Regards,
Ed

Dear Ed,

Thank you for your message. It is holding up well, the only disadvantage so far is that I should really make sure to turn off the bike when charging the battery. For some reason the DC-DC converter in the motor driver cannot deal with what the charger does on the battery BUS, perhaps a high frequency problem, I'm not sure...

Congratulations on your Mercedes bike. Do you have the original battery case included? It might be possible to build 18650 cells in there, I am not sure about the dimensions of that casing. Be aware that Sachs also build bikes using the same hub and battery, which was sold as a newer version of the Sachs 'elo' (in case you need spares).

I will go through your options one by one:
1. This will probably work, indeed.
2. I think the transistors are rated 40V or 50V (cannot be absolutely sure), so be aware of that. I am not close to the 3M hub I have, so cannot check it quickly for you. You can still install a controller that uses a pedal sensor as input, rather than a throttle. This is what I use on the 1M, and works well.
3. This is indeed quite some work, but also most space-efficient. The 3M only uses a torque sensor read-out, no speed measurement, so that would make it a bit different from the 1M version.

I am sorry to say that I am just now thinking about giving up on the 3M hubs, because of a small mechanical issue I just don't seem to be able to fix. I can almost guarantee you that you will also get to deal with it at some point when using it long enough (I have three hubs, they all have this problem). I will write about it in more detail on my blog later, but the summary is that the motor axis, that drives a mechanical reductor using rollers, starts slipping and stuttering at some point. I have worked on making that motor axis thicker again, since I thought wear was the culprit, but this only helped for a while. I still have to diagnose what has happened with it now, I will let you know my conclusions when I've done that.

BTW: If you want to exchange the belt for a normal chain, be aware you need to make either the mount on the hub a bit smaller, or the new rear sprocket hole a bit larger. I don't know why they made this an almost-but-not-quite standard size.

Also be aware that I have spare parts for this hub, if you need anything let me know.

All the best,
Bart

Attachments

• 20220103_131806.jpg
    20220103_131806.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 238
  • 20220103_141617.jpg
    20220103_141617.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 238
Back