10S custom skate ESC: testers wanted!

I'm thinking on that, but i finally sure now that te problem was the module coming out of the socket, i will solder everything and i think then it will be reliable. Should already done that, it's the second time this happens, luckily on the first time i was just cruising without motor power, only realized something was wrong when 100m later i couldn't accelerate, on the way back i found thr NRF module crushed by the wheel on the asphalt :D

2w5mwwh.jpg

Warning I had a puff of smoke from the motor running the "rpm" button on the right under "controls" while using the bldc tool and the motor was cogging. It happened quickly. My motor have later proven ok but I had the stuttering maybe just described above. Cogging back and forth repeatedly and the board was vibrating loudly. Smoke scary. Ok though and it's riding fine now but beware and using the bldc tool on 12s not safe probably. I'm guessing a lot of current is sent to the motors as the esc was attempting to locate the rotor position. But my motors are 100kv and strange and Chaka/Jeramiah (Olin boards) recommends adjusting the "start up boost" in "advanced" under the "motor configuration" tab.
Phew. seemingly fine..motors are crazy strong still (have to sit down) and the smoke I sucked up my nose likely won't show any obvious symptoms but probably poison

No cogging and on my way out riding in a minute! when it's recommend that lower voltage be used while using the bldc tool I wonder why as there's the amp limit that I had/have set to 60. I was using 12s and it smoked within seconds. I read about some spray enamel for cars that people will spray their windings with and I'm thinking of doing that since I'm thinking it was the enamel that burnt.

Hi,

I am searching for some VESC PCBs for self soldering, because of some trouble with the manufacture I ordered my 4 Layer PCBs from.
It would be good if there is someone in Europe or best in Germany, but also international would be ok when the shipping costs are ok.

Hope someone can help me.

Regards

Recently i have setup a website for the use of downloading of BLDC-TOOL for windows and OS X and all VESC related Firmware and files, this link will soon be a fully set up website with active download links, support documents and videos as well as offering vesc support via remote access and video call.
the new link for BLDC-TOOL updates is:

http://www.vesc.support or
http://www.bldc-tool.support

if any one has the knowledge and wants to help me set this website up that would be great i will pay maybe in vesc!

also BLDC TOOL 2.10 is know available

chaka said:
Thank you so much! It will be nice to send osx/win users to a dedicated site for download.

Iv also got bldc-tool.com and they will all be redirected to the one site,

Tried to get vesc.com but it will cost $10,000

jacobbloy said:

:shock:

thanks for your effort! would be interesting to get an idea of approximate numbers of vesc users by the numbers of unique BLCD gui downloads. :)

whitepony said:
jacobbloy said:

:shock:

thanks for your effort! would be interesting to get an idea of approximate numbers of vesc users by the numbers of unique BLCD gui downloads. :)

That is also my plan

@ Jacobbloy

I just wish to express my thanks to people like yourself that put so much time and effort into making this great piece of kit available to us all.
A site like this is exactly what has been lacking and I am sure it will be a great help and also a great step forward as it will do a lot to alleviate the anxiety of new users.
I take my hat off to your sir. Respect.

WeeChumlee said:
@ Jacobbloy

I just wish to express my thanks to people like yourself that put so much time and effort into making this great piece of kit available to us all.
A site like this is exactly what has been lacking and I am sure it will be a great help and also a great step forward as it will do a lot to alleviate the anxiety of new users.
I take my hat off to your sir. Respect.

Thanks mate! And I hope I can continue to help. But Benjamin Vedder is the one every one needs to thank.

What about the vesc regen setting? I'm forgetting now what the default setting is but I left it at that and think it was -60amps or something else really high. How many amps will it kick back to the battery realistically and roughly when is it happening as apposed to using energy to brake?

If it really could be adding 60 amps my batteries are not up to it

I'm imagining there's people bulk charging leaving their house on "intended" 4.2 volts per cell, then riding down mountains and .. how will that go?

What is the max voltage you can do with the vesc? I thought it was 10s unless your using 100kv or less then possibly 12s, but I've seen people here using 190kv on 12s. I've even read 60 volts.

Hey guys, I have a totally sweet, amazing and awesome idea/project that an engineer and programmer like some of you would find incredible for sure!!!!!!

So basically I have the FVT Skateboard firmware (attached), and it works much better than the stock firmware, but has 2 tweaks that would make it amazing as a great "poor mans" vesc, especially if you already have a FVT. The tweaks/problems I have are as follows:

1) Soft start - its too slow! Off the line it is great, as it allows my 50mm hubs to get me going very smoothly from a standstill, but it takes a good 8-10 seconds to fully ramp up, even when unloaded. This causes problems especially when cornering, as I might reduce to half speed (and not throttle, just coasting) to corner, and then punch it to power out. The stock firmware would power up within a second and pull me out of the corner no worries, but the skate firmware will delay the 4-5 seconds while it "accelerates" to the speed I'm at, and then starts applying more power. While a sensored ESC may not have this problem, the FVT does. As such, would it be possible to make the throttle curve less linear? I was wondering if someone could alter the firmware to give the first 1/4 of the acceleration curve 1-2 seconds to complete, thus allowing the motors to effectively "give me that single kick" speed, and then the next 3/4 have about 1-2 seconds ramp up speed? My theory is that the "very soft start" setting on the stock firmware is good when you are already moving, and the "insanely soft" startup on the skate version is good if you aren't moving at all. So combine the two and get something more useful?

2) Noise - the motors and noticeably more noisy when running the skate version. I read that vedder played with the motor control variations or some such electronics mumbo jumbo that flew over my head and resulted in a much quieter motor. Would it be possible to do that with the FVT firmware at all? or is this more motor specific alterations?

I have not personally had a problem so far with anything else, but others are reporting the brakes (when using a single hub motor) are too weak. I find the brakes as they are to be perfect with my dual 50mm hub setup. If none of the above are possible, would it at least be possible to increase braking power so single motor users can test safely?

Thanks for reading guys, and I can't even open the .hgm file the firmware is in so am not sure how big a task I am asking is, but if anyone can help that would be amazing! Sorry if this is too off-topic, but I figured all the people who might know how to do it are here in this thread... thanks guys!

For others wanting to test the skate firmware, I have attached both the skate and stock versions below. You can simply download, unzip them to a 'location'. Plug in your esc via a USB link and open in the USB link program, then click "update firmware" on the bottom right. Navigate to 'location' folder, open the .hgm file and you are away. Please note the skate firmware is not adjustable, so once it's uploaded go out and test it, but be careful and test the brake power first. If you find you don't like it, simply do the same steps but with the stock version I have also attached, and that will revert you back to what you had on there before. Good Luck!

Attachments

• SKATEBOARD_120A_FVT.zip
    4.2 KB · Views: 86
I wanted to announce how we are handling the latest hardware update to version 4.12. Vedder recently added another capacitor above C18 to address a fault occurring in FOC mode, in effect doubling the capacitance at C18

Every VESC leaving our shop now comes with a C18 modification on v4.11 hardware. We opted to use a higher rated capacitor instead of stacking two 2.2uf caps. I was worried the stacked caps could end up tearing the pads on the pcb due to the added leverage and the small footprint. We also have version 4.12 PCB's in fab so those will be available soon but are essentially the same as 4.11 with a higher rated cap at C18.
805964f85e4398c00ab412e39ffebf7362727c79_1_296x500.png

thanks chaka nice to see that issue fixed.

check my latest updated windows version of bldc tool.

http://vesc.support

iv actually been working on the installer so know it places all files for you, instal's the correct drivers and then places a desktop icon,

OSX is know in a dmg
NEW:
if you plug in your vesc before loading bldc tool then bldc tool automatically detects the vesc and sets the correct com port while tagging that com port (vesc) so the user knows its detected. you simply just click connect. soon ill add auto connect.
there is also a refresh button that locates the vesc just incase you didn't plug it in before opening.

this is all apart of trying to reduce confusion.

I'm about 2 weeks away from finishing a bldc tool esc setup wizard that will have a single button to detect foc and bldc settings and app data to make it easy for customers with no knowledge.

please every body i need feed back on my site.

chaka said:
I wanted to announce how we are handling the latest hardware update to version 4.12. Vedder recently added another capacitor above C18 to address a fault occurring in FOC mode, in effect doubling the capacitance at C18

Every VESC leaving our shop now comes with a C18 modification on v4.11 hardware. We opted to use a higher rated capacitor instead of stacking two 2.2uf caps. I was worried the stacked caps could end up tearing the pads on the pcb due to the added leverage and the small footprint. We also have version 4.12 PCB's in fab so those will be available soon but are essentially the same as 4.11 with a higher rated cap at C18.
805964f85e4398c00ab412e39ffebf7362727c79_1_296x500.png

Great, I ordered one and wonder if I get 4.12 still?

I like your PNG of the silkscreen with the component numbers. I can't find those on Vedder's github repo.
Could you also share a PNG of the other side of the PCB? Did you use Kicad to create those PNGs?

If your order has not shipped yet you will be receiving version 4.11 with a larger capacitor @ C18. It is functionally the same as version 4.12.

I have version 4.12 pcb's in fab right now. It will be about 2 weeks before are I have them in my hands. Propeller heads are welcome to request/reserve a version 4.12 but version 4.11 with the 4.7uf cap at C18 is functional the same.

Quick 2 questions - I bought 2 VESCs from 2 different people/companies (this is how they came to me). I thought I would ask people with experience before I take the caps off and re-position them.

1. Do I need to replace the higher gauge wire with 10 gauge on the green pcb like the purple pcb.

2. I want to move the caps so they are off to the side, can I use a bit longer wire (about .75" longer than it is now) going from the cap to the pcb.

Thanks

Attachments

• vesc 2.jpg
    vesc 2.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 4,035
WOW! I am super impressed with this ESC, or should I say VESC, and the amount of time Vedder has put into making this along with everyone else who has contributed. I will definitely be donating some money to Vedder along with purchasing a couple to upgrade my current board (which sorely has been out of commission since my motor plates cracked under the stress).

I found this forum 4 years ago while making my own electric skateboard in my high school class, since then I have made a second electric skateboard and have been itching to make a new one with new hardware and this exceed my expectation for when I was looking for a more compact ESC with regen braking. The silent operation of using FOC and no clogging startup got me super excited! Cannot wait to start (hopefully I can manage between college and work)!

Hello

Would it be possible to build this controller as a 12-fet edition using the same driver and control circuit?
I guess the answer is no, but I would like to get a more complete answer if possible, because that would open a bigger marked for us that need a cheap but powerful controller. If the price would be 140 ish dollars for a 12 fet it would be a success.

Back